electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Thinking about buying Nord Modular G2
Page 3 of 5 [120 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:

Thanks for at least helping me realize this

Very Happy

No probs, we aim to please! But we did tell you right from the start you really should buy something with lotsa presets.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm confused I was about to write a lengthy explanation of how to get the sound he wants then he decides to vanish... weird.

ahh well. . Smile

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

beer

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:
I'm confused I was about to write a lengthy explanation of how to get the sound he wants ...
Well, you can do it any time you want Smile There will be a lot of people interested in it, I think.

Wout
iPassenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tbh,

I'd actually wrote it, but then the forum kept telling me the topic had been updated, so when i saw his final response, i just decided to get rid..

Trying to write lengthy responses to someones musical/synth based woes is probably something i shouldn't do at work.

Anyway bottom line is the G2 can do soft dreamy pads but it takes a fair bit of work... but the other trance sound he is after is relatively easy affair.

I was going to advise that using the demo which is mono limited wont really help you get an idea of how the poly mode works on the G2, particularly as pads are nearly always played as chords. So instead of 4 osc mono, you've get 16/20/24 oscs going, which gives the sound its depth and movement.

ahh well. Smile

I must admit i was unsure of the G2s clout when i played with the demo bu the possibility of learning made me buy the machine anyway.. having the real thing is a little different though and I'm not concerned by its power to cut through a mix anymore.. though i do wish I had the expansion.

All that said i would imagine all the machines mentioned earlier would be equally useable for what he wanted...

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the whole thing was a wind up from the beginning, he is probably on another forum doing the same thing now about another synth/drum machine/DAW etc.

Everyone needs a hobby I suppose.
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
You (whoever you are) seem to think that G2 just needs the right patching to sound good.

Yes. But leave out the "just". Smile

Argitoth wrote:
Nord G2 can't even compete with VSTs when it comes to basic pads, supersaws, and other trance sounds that everyone is used to.

True. Not in the hands of a novice.

Argitoth wrote:
Really, Nord G2 is everything I'm not looking for and everything I will lack if I didn't own it.

Which is what we are trying to tell you.

Argitoth wrote:
Also, I am starting to accept the idea that I'll never recreate some of those synths in the 10 minute mp3 I posted.

Yes, I don't think you ever will. You might eventually stumble over the right synth and preset in question, but that doesn't qualify as "recreating" in my book. Smile

Argitoth wrote:
Thanks for at least helping me realize this even if you don't agree. Wink

As you see, I do agree 100%. Rest assured of that. Laughing

Argitoth wrote:
That being said, this is the end of my stay here at electro-music.com

Bye. Smile
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

beer

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
iPassenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bob,

Yeah i rekcon yr right, looking at the topic description and what not the clues are certainly there. doh!

Laughing

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, to quote the Hell's Grannies of Monty Python: "Well, it gives you something to do, doesn't it..."
But I must say I liked those patch titles: "I am angry". Laughing

Bah, whatever...
beer
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This thread raised my blood pressure a bit.

But now that it's 'over'...

happy smoker
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cebec wrote:

Same here ... you mean ... it's safe to show up again?

beer | happy smoker

fac

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Novation-Nova-Polyphonic-virtual-analogue-synthesizer_W0QQitemZ170233076369QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170233076369&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

200 quid and its yours

I wouldn't recommend it, though. I just bought one and I already hate it. It has no way to initialize a patch, which for me is already a showstopper. But even worse, I tried to make my own init patch by deconstructing the first preset (Synthillator something), and I haven't been able to turn off all the modulations in this patch. And yes, I have RTFM and I have gone through all the menus one by one, twice. Which means there are some very hidden stuff going on in there.

Yeah, it does have that nice Novation sound, and it's relatively powerful (16 voices, 6 parts, per-part effect chain with up to 7 effects, per-part arpeggiators). Sure it's much more powerful than my Korg MS2000R. But it doesn't want me to program it. It's already back on sale.
iPassenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fac wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Novation-Nova-Polyphonic-virtual-analogue-synthesizer_W0QQitemZ170233076369QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170233076369&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

200 quid and its yours

I wouldn't recommend it, though. I just bought one and I already hate it. It has no way to initialize a patch, which for me is already a showstopper. But even worse, I tried to make my own init patch by deconstructing the first preset (Synthillator something), and I haven't been able to turn off all the modulations in this patch. And yes, I have RTFM and I have gone through all the menus one by one, twice. Which means there are some very hidden stuff going on in there.

Yeah, it does have that nice Novation sound, and it's relatively powerful (16 voices, 6 parts, per-part effect chain with up to 7 effects, per-part arpeggiators). Sure it's much more powerful than my Korg MS2000R. But it doesn't want me to program it. It's already back on sale.

Can't you get an initialized patch off the internet or something? Might be easier to make an initial patch with a software editor if there is one.

fac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:

Can't you get an initialized patch off the internet or something? Might be easier to make an initial patch with a software editor if there is one.

I probably could, but that wasn't my point. Actually, I just re-read the manual, and I think I know now how to undo those modulations, but I have to wait till I get home to try again.

The thing is that some parameters, especially those related with modulation matrix, are not immediately accesible and require various button-presses or menu-diving.

I just used the synth for about an hour, so it's probably matter of just diving a little more into it, but I was expecting something much more intuitive. It's a truly powerful synth (if it only had step sequencers, it would be almost perfect for me), but I was really looking for something much more immediate, like a Nord Lead 2. Except I'm worried that a NL2 will sound too similar to my G2.

I should just save money for a Prophet 08. I know that's what I really want. But right now is out of my budget. Actually, the reason I bought the Nova was because it was cheap and I knew I could re-sell it and make some profit.

Last edited by fac on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cebec wrote:

But now that it's 'over'...
After we spent over 60 posts about it. I tried to bend the thread into a discussion about the taste of 'geitost' Shocked

Wout
iPassenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fac,

hmmm.. I see.. what about trying to get hold of a blofeld then... only problem is you would probs need to get it new and then lose money on a resale.

Not much in the way of quality poly's for cheap... what about the roland thingy....JP8000/8080? Mind, might be a bit simple in comparison to the others....

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
After we spent over 60 posts about it. I tried to bend the thread into a discussion about the taste of 'geitost' Shocked

Is there any particular reason why we should do that? I mean ... those geitost thingies don't exactly seem to be stroopwafels .. or maybe they are

http://lefthandedcompliment.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_archive.html ::: search for miss universe ::: wrote:
This cheese has a sweetish, caramel-like taste and is dark brown in color.

Shocked

fac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:
fac,

hmmm.. I see.. what about trying to get hold of a blofeld then... only problem is you would probs need to get it new and then lose money on a resale.

Not much in the way of quality poly's for cheap... what about the roland thingy....JP8000/8080? Mind, might be a bit simple in comparison to the others....

Simple is ok. I'm actually looking for something simple (although good sounding) to compliment the G2. A JP8000 would be great; I have owned one before and always regretted selling it (although I also made a profit). The problem is that it's a bit hard to find good synths in Mexico... you have to keep looking and have some cash ready in case you get lucky. I got lucky with the Nova, but it didn't turn out to be a keeper.

Right now I have an Ensoniq ESQ-1 that I want to replace. It sounds great and works relatively well. It's also very easy to program - it has the best menu interface ever designed. But it's not made for live tweaking, which is what I'm doing these days. So I planned to sell some stuff and raise money for something more immediate, like a NL2 or a Prophet 08. I don't need a workhorse, but a nice sounding complementary polyphonic synth. The Nova just crossed my way, but I think I should go with my original options. A JP8000 may just fit the bill as well.

I also bought a Virus A and a Yamaha FS1R that I plan to resell. I never liked the Virus sound that much, and the FS1R, while being one of the greatest sounding digital synths ever, needs just too much dedication time - probably even more than the G2.
iPassenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ahh.. understood.

prices on the Jp8000 seem to be creeping up again, about 9 mths ago i saw one go for £200 on ebay!! now they are back up to £300-400.

Not sure what that is in Mexico money, but i reckon that is a damn good price (200) for a nice synth with a great controller keyb thrown in. Kicked myself when i saw it go.. I would have bought it myself if i had checked the bay a couple of hours earlier. Sad

fac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:
ahh.. understood.

prices on the Jp8000 seem to be creeping up again, about 9 mths ago i saw one go for £200 on ebay!! now they are back up to £300-400.

Not sure what that is in Mexico money, but i reckon that is a damn good price (200) for a nice synth with a great controller keyb thrown in. Kicked myself when i saw it go.. I would have bought it myself if i had checked the bay a couple of hours earlier. Sad

The last JP8000 I saw on the ads was priced at $8000 mexican pesos, which is about $770 USD (or £385). That's the price I sold mine for about 6 years ago, except I bought it for $5000 pesos. Made a good $300 USD profit back then. Still, I always thought I should have kept it.

Oh well, I can't afford having that many synths, either.
flying rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a Gx2 for sale if you want.
With flight case and everything
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
This cheese has a sweetish, caramel-like taste and is dark brown in color. Shocked
And it is Norwegian...

BTW we sell it in the shop Smile

Wout
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:

spam ... ok .. can I order online? Laughing

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Wout Blommers wrote:

spam ... ok .. can I order online? Laughing
Worst! Next saturday we will give geitost away for free, together with 5 others foreign cheeses Very Happy

Wout
Page 3 of 5 [120 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: