electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
andromeda vs. prophet 08
Page 2 of 3 [70 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
ThreeFingersOfLove

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems to me that you were biased already. For any short-coming that the Andromeda might have, I can mention 10 short-comings for the world's most revered synthesizer... but thing is, people still love it.

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase!
dorkhearse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with you and this has been a great thread! I love discussing these things...gets me stoked to get back to working with the wonderful things we are all lucky enough to have! Check out the Studio Electronics stuff and the Sunsyn...wow inducing real analogues (with jaw dropping price tags to match)! Take care
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Analog Organist wrote:
This forum is a discussion about the merits and demerits of two synthesizers, so please don't take my comments personally. I'm not insulting your girl friends - just talking about a couple of metal and plastic musical instruments.

Smile... I think I more took issue with one specific criticism, the Youtube video no-impressive-song thing, which was a pretty weak argument.

I tend to have the same issue when someone rants about "awful" demos and patches etc.... this is the Balkanized era of music, and one person's turd is another person's pile of gold. Demos furthermore are rarely made with the same amount of time and effort it takes to construct a song. Presets are more made to show off the instrument then be actually musically useful. We all know this, right?

It's perfectly okay to point out Numark's non-existent tech support. DSI is a lot better in that regard.

Synths really are a hit or miss thing sonically, which is why trying it out yourself is so important if you can. It's perfectly okay to point out that you just flat out don't like the sound. An example for me is the MKS-80. It bored me. To all who love it, great, but that synth was not even close to something I cared for sonically. That doesn't mean it's a bad synth. It's just not something I could get inspired by too much. The main problem with the A6 and P'08 is that it's very difficult to get a lot of your *own* demo time, as most music stores do not carry these synths. Not sure how to solve that, except to say that these synths do hold their value in the used market pretty well, so far...
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The A6 and the P08 are both great synths.

I just found that it was near impossible to get the kind of response from the A6 filters which I personally expect from an analogue synth. The A6 sure sounds big in an analogue way. But the filters always have a slight metallic "bite" to them, regardless of how the gains in the signal path (pre- and post-mixers) are set up. This more agressive filter sound actually works well with some musical styles, so I can fully see people from those fields embrace the A6 for it's sound.

I however was weaned on what are now referred to as "vintage" analogue synths, so my expectations are naturally biased towards that flavor. I just found that the P08, albeit also sounding more "modern" (better S/N ratio etc.), still comes closer to what I want from an anlogue synth, and what I would buy one for.

Hardware-wise, I unfortunately was underwhelmed by the P08, which has kept me from buying one. I've spent hours playing with the thing, really enjoying the sound, but ultimately always being scared off by what I consider a mediocre build-quality. The encoders do not feel reassuring at all and are not calibrated well, so you have to do alot of twiddling to sweep a parameter over it's entire range. Also factor in the wallwart, which is really annoying if you intend to gig with it.

I agree with an opinion stated above, that the P08 has a considerable "Juno-esque" sound character, which I personally enjoy, as it is powerful but still sits well in a mix. The A6, albeit attempting to clone the Oberheim SEM and the Moog Modular filters, sounds more like it's own to my ears. The SEM filter sounds nothing like a SEM, but has nice sparkly highs which is nice for airy pads. It sounds very hi-end, more like what I'd associate with digital synths. This is not meant as a criticism though.

The only currently manufactured analogue polysynth that sonically outperforms both these synths is the Studio Electronics Omega8, or Code8. It blows them away, actually. If you can't accept any compromises concerning authentic analogue sound and have the cash, this is the synth to get. In my opinion, it's up there with the great analogue polysynths -Yamaha CS80, Memorymoog, Jupiter8 et al..

just my 2cc
ThreeFingersOfLove

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is some more info for you:

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/topic-2095.html&highlight=trust+ears

I *LOVED* this thread. Too bad that the audio files are gone... Rolling Eyes
jonkull

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another interesting one:

Andromeda Vs Minimoog - not in english

Article - http://amazona.de/forums.html?page=26&file=2&article_id=2233

Sound Files - http://share.ovi.com/album.aspx?albumname=juno6.AndromedavsMini

Google Translated - http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Famazona.de%2Fforums.html%3Fpage%3D26%26file%3D2%26article_id%3D2233&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=

Response of fanboys on VintageSynth - http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=47348

sven kalmar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have the A6, evolver keyboard and the vvoyager. the moog is straitforward, but has a sonic quality and ease in use thats really nice. the evolver is my favourite lead synth..it makes me play so well. it has a very interesting feedback and delay section, plucked strings etc.. a nice sequencer.etc..but the moog is much easier to tweak while playng. the a6 is a universe to itself..i create lots of music on the a6 alone. the A6 is a really weird synth. but ive also created extremely beautiful pads, and lataly some leads that competes with the moog and EK.the basses from the a6 can be awsome ..beyond anything ive heard, ive actually been frightened a few times
like someone said the a6 is not a beginner synth . it takes time and work and some luck...but for me thats the kind of synth i like.. it has osc, with suboscs, a really nice ringmod..the tracking gen i great , resonant highpass filter, the envelopes are 7 step. you can modulate the envs, they can trigger stuff.. example when it reaches release 2 it fires of a lfo that makes a trill etcetc...you can bypass the filters, use a filterbank , . the first year i had it used ALL outs 20 in all . i had a 16 track mixer for the individual outs, parametric eques , etc etc. however it might not be the first synth i turn to if i want a warm stringpad...it can do it sure , but it might be easier and faster on another synth. for me the a6 shines the most when making really spaced out synthscapes, ..ehh.. electromusic..
i would also mention the manual which is the best ive seen.. big massive, clear , a text book on subtractive synthesis.. Mike Peake and others have done a fantastic job.. thanks mike.. i can live without the moog, i can live without the EK but loosing the a6 would be like losing an arm...
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome !
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

indeed! welcome

Another vintage norwegian!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMO, you can´t really compare the two. Obviously the p08 and the A6 are rather different designs. I can see use for both. I have spent some serious quality time with the two and I can only say that both are rather decent instruments that I find hard to find any real faults with. That being said, Tim has some very good points here, and it is only a good thing to calmly discuss features and design issues.

As for the P08, it is what it is. And it sounds rather great. But it is also a design that not even attempts at being an A6. And of course, this is not a problem at all if you have bought the P08 for the right reasons. And there is no reason anyone should ever consider buying an A6 if what is really needed for the job at hand calls for something like the P08. Or you buy both?! as some do.. Laughing

Is the P08 an synth for beginners only, as someone stated here somewhere recently? Nope, and from my point of view a beginner will be far better off with something slightly deeper and more suitable for self absorbed submerged sessions into the mysteries of synthesis. A seasoned synthesist with above average playing skills will get the most out of the P08. IMO, all the things that makes the P08 truly an excellent instrument are pretty much wasted on beginner who will soon find it underwhelming and possibly even embarassing.

As for the A6, Tim and Sven Kalmar and others have given good insights into its capabilities and personality.
It will soon become obvious that even though you can patch stuff on the A6 that can sound pretty close to well known patches on say a minimoog, the A6 has a sound of its own that is best embraced rather than circumvented.

And the only sound advice I can give is try before you buy.

And there is no such thing as the perfect synth. We are talking instruments here and not butt plugs.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, so there is something like the perfect buttplug. Shocked

Wish I'd known. Laughing

I'm tracking in my studio with a borrowed Andy right now, and it's doing great. Fantastic multimode too. Running some monosynths through their individual voice outs, some poly stuff on the mains, and some other on the aux outs -the only true analog workstation Smile. Well done, Alesis.

But again, really lush sweet soft midrangey pads are difficult do get out of it. If you set up the filter to the desired frequency, the sound ist too aggressive and metallic (for my taste), and if you take the filter down somewhat, it sounds better but is too dull. Lowering the pre-filter levels doesn't help much. It's like the Andy has a sort of sonic blind-spot here.

Here's where the P08 shines.

As I say, they compliment each other very well, in all aspects.

I want both. Wink
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
But again, really lush sweet soft midrangey pads are difficult do get out of it. If you set up the filter to the desired frequency, the sound ist too aggressive and metallic (for my taste), and if you take the filter down somewhat, it sounds better but is too dull. Lowering the pre-filter levels doesn't help much. It's like the Andy has a sort of sonic blind-spot here.

I know what you mean. And this does not really have to be a problem if one doesn´t make it a problem. But there is a lot you can do by plunging the signal into say a dotcom and such. Laughing

And yes, both is a tempting proposition.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

once you made a big oscillatorsound ( i put some patch somewhere)
, then try be the vcf1, and add someoutboard chorus/phaser stuff. should be able to make nice pads/stringsounds.
i'm sure you can , it takes time
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I know what you mean. And this does not really have to be a problem if one doesn´t make it a problem.

No, it's not a "problem" at all. It's just that if somebody gravitates towards that kind of sound aesthetitc, the A6 would not be the ideal choice. I know downright A6-haters and can understand where they are coming from. These are folks who are into eg. the Korg Polysix with it's incredibly lush SSM filter sound. Or the smooth Roland synths, stuff like that. The P'08 is closer to that aesthetic, and I know some people who traded their used A6 for a new P'08, for exactly that reason.

For me, I try to see the benefits and positive sides of all instruments, and the A6 has a tremendous amount to offer. I find it an insanely flexible synth, in all respects. And as mentioned, it's the only analog "workstation" ever made. A real workhorse. By using different outputs in multimode, you could have eg. 4 monosynths and two 6-voice polysynths running at once, all from one box! How good is that? Polyphony is great for live playing too. And it's reliable.

The P'08 scores with it's hands-on step-sequencer (the A6 has one too, but it's not as intuitive to use), the faster and smoother modulation engine (big plus for me), encoders instead of pots (debatable, but I generally find it a preferable solution for synths with patch memory), less weight and smaller footprint (good for gigging), a more immediate user interface (due to the simpler voice architecture, which not always a drawback).

Both great synths. Good to hav'em in this era of bits and bytes.

I spent yesterday night replacing softsynth tracks in an arrangement with corresponding sounds from the A6. Not meaning to trigger another boring and pointless D/A discussion (both have their merits) -but the difference was staggering. I had a lot of fun. Smile

Folks -my opinion: If you want analogue, don't buy the obsolete and insanely overpriced/overhyped vintage stuff on e*ay, with a dwindling (or nonexistent) supply of spare parts. Buy the new stuff and thus support existing manufacturers! It's good to have analogue technology around again. It's part of the legacy of electronic music.

cheers,
tim
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sunny pedaal wrote:
once you made a big oscillatorsound ( i put some patch somewhere)
, then try be the vcf1, and add someoutboard chorus/phaser stuff. should be able to make nice pads/stringsounds.
i'm sure you can , it takes time

Yes, I prefer the 12dB multimode filter too, for pads. But due to it's roll-off, it lets more "air" through, which is not what you want all the time. And the 24dB lowpass always sounds "hard" somehow, regardless of the gain structure. One of the reasons is that, even with resonance parameter set to zero, there still seems to be a small residue of resonance in the filter. You can get rid of that by applying a small amount filter feedback. But still... maybe I'm just spoiled by the Roland JX8P -the softest, fluffiest, lushest pads ever. Laughing
dorkhearse

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok I was being too polite in earlier posts but enough time has passed and the truth must be told...the Andy OWNS the Prophet! Totally wipes the floor with it.
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes ! now we are talking !
fully agree with that
sven kalmar

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have the evolver keyboard and the A6 they are very different....the A6 is deep mysterious MOOGish...the evolver is an awsome lead synth.....the andro is very esoteric and its unique......i love it Very Happy
ThreeFingersOfLove

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim:

if you find the 24dB/oct filter in the A6 to be a bit metallic, I would suggest that you try setting the filters in serial configuration with the 12dB/oct filter fully clockwise. Methinks, even in that setting, there is still some filtering going on, and it kinda removes that quality you mentioned.
sven kalmar

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

three fingers of love.. do you happen to know thanassis zlatanos in greece?
we played together in the 80s....
fac

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys.

I, like others here, am currently trying to decide between the Andromeda and the Prophet 08. I'm downsizing my studio and selling a bunch of gear to finance a poly analog and a machinedrum. The gear I'm keeping is: Nord G2 expanded, 44-space dotcom modular, and Waldorf XT.

So, which one of the following do you guys think would provide the best balance between sound, sonic range, immediacy, and less overlap with what I already have:

a) Andromeda

or

b) Prophet 08 + Nord Lead 3

The reason I ask is because I already own the NL3, so I could just keep it and buy the P08 rack, or I could sell it so I can afford the Andromeda.

sven kalmar

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i enjoy making leads on the andromeda so much now that im seriously considering selling the voyager, its a wonderful synth the moog i love it,
,,the andromeda is so personal in a way..its endless... and sounds special.. i wouldnt let go of the evolverkeyboard though, its awesome...
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back to the original poster... a good marriage of either of these synths with a quality reverb and delay unit will probably give you very good pads & soundscapes. Something with real-time controls, to match the tweek-ability of the pro8 or andromeda.
ThreeFingersOfLove

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sven kalmar wrote:
three fingers of love.. do you happen to know thanassis zlatanos in greece?
we played together in the 80s....

Hi Sven,

I am afraid I have never heard of this guy.
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fac wrote:
Hey guys.
I, like others here, am currently trying to decide between the Andromeda and the Prophet 08. I'm downsizing my studio and selling a bunch of gear to finance a poly analog and a machinedrum. The gear I'm keeping is: Nord G2 expanded, 44-space dotcom modular, and Waldorf XT.
So, which one of the following do you guys think would provide the best balance between sound, sonic range, immediacy, and less overlap with what I already have:
a) Andromeda
or
b) Prophet 08 + Nord Lead 3
The reason I ask is because I already own the NL3, so I could just keep it and buy the P08 rack, or I could sell it so I can afford the Andromeda.

From a non-sonic point of view, of course...

If you really had to keep the NL3, I would say that the Prophet 08 is fine. A lot of the Andromeda's sonic territory may be covered by the modular and (in a digital way) the G2. The Prophet 08 may be a great instrument for easy, quickly dialed in basic analog sounds.

On the *other* hand, I would think that the G2 and the NL3 significantly overlap. The advantage of the Andromeda is that it allows quite a bit more flexibility, nearing capabilities of modular synthesizers (with polyphony). The P'08 is nice but doesn't quite have this flexibility.

The Andromeda is quite a bit trickier to program, however, as a result. So, to me, if you like the sound of both synths, the question is whether you want more basic but very fun (and by no means simple!), eg the P'08, or quite a bit deeper but a lot more touchy to edit, eg the A6.
Page 2 of 3 [70 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: