electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
andromeda vs. prophet 08
Page 3 of 3 [70 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
fac

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

soundwave106 wrote:

If you really had to keep the NL3, I would say that the Prophet 08 is fine. A lot of the Andromeda's sonic territory may be covered by the modular and (in a digital way) the G2. The Prophet 08 may be a great instrument for easy, quickly dialed in basic analog sounds.

Thanks for the response. I went ahead and bought the Prophet 08 rack. Nothing wrong with the Andromeda, but one of the goals of downsizing was to save some physical space, plus I decided I really want to keep the Nord Lead 3. It does overlap soundwise with the G2, but the approach to making sounds is so different that I get very different results with each.

However, the Andromeda looks like it could complement the P08 pretty well, so I'll keep an eye on them in case I decide to sell the NL3 or get a bigger room in the future.

sven kalmar

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes you should...heheh the A6 is awesome... Shocked
peterkadar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used to own an A6, and currently own a P'08.

I did not get one of the good A6's... it got more and more dysfunctional as time went on, until it basically became a tough to repair, $3000 paperweight. I did really like the sound... very smooth and silky at times, with a LOT of potential for craziness too.

I really like the simple and elegant layout of the Prophet 08. To my ears, it captures that classic analog polysynth experience that I loved on 80's records, and my experiences in music stores when I was a kid. When I bring it out on gigs, the sound makes everyone in the band smile. It can be brutally fat and awesome.

I think a lot of folks describe the A6 as lush and silky etc. partially because of the built in FX. Conversely, I think people tend to describe the Prophet as raw, fat and ballsy for just the opposite reasons. I'm curious to hear what it would be like to run the P'08 through some high quality FX. Fortunately, I think it sounds so good that the only FX I've ever felt like running ti through was my Moog Phaser. My God...
ThreeFingersOfLove

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

peterkadar wrote:
I think a lot of folks describe the A6 as lush and silky etc. partially because of the built in FX. Conversely, I think people tend to describe the Prophet as raw, fat and ballsy for just the opposite reasons. I'm curious to hear what it would be like to run the P'08 through some high quality FX. Fortunately, I think it sounds so good that the only FX I've ever felt like running ti through was my Moog Phaser. My God...

if you disable the onboard FX in the Andromeda you can also get the raw, ballsy sound. I think the FX unit in the A6 is mediocre, useful to try some ideas or maybe in a live situation, but not something that I would use in a studio.
Shreddie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ThreeFingersOfLove wrote:
peterkadar wrote:

if you disable the onboard FX in the Andromeda you can also get the raw, ballsy sound. I think the FX unit in the A6 is mediocre, useful to try some ideas or maybe in a live situation, but not something that I would use in a studio.

Hmm, the digital effects on the Andromeda are a bit pants. I either don't use them or just use a hint of reverb... I use the analogue distortion effects sometimes though.

I do love my effects though so I have my A3000 sampler (a good effects unit in it's own right) and ART Nightbass SE almost permanently hooked up to my Andromeda's aux outputs.
ThreeFingersOfLove

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mine is permanently connected (along with a Voyager) to an Eventide H-8000, also using the Aux outputs. Couldn't be happier. Very Happy
peterkadar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ThreeFingersOfLove wrote:

Oh yeah, for sure! I would do that with mine. I don't own any really high end external FX... I'd like to see if it'd bring the Prophet a bit closer to A6 land...
bobbybass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i own them both, without going into a ton of detail as some of the other posts have done i will say that the andromeda does pads better..but the prophet is capable of making some monster leads and basses and if you decide to get the rack version can save considerably $$ wise.
Payt

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi peeps,

This is my first post on this forum, so please be gentle Wink

I've bought a second hand Andromeda recently, and have been learning how it works a bit. I also have a P08, which i also really lurv to bits Smile

It's kindof hard to compare the 2. You can program a basic sawtooth patch and hardly be able to tell them apart.. Sure if you A/B them, there's the slightest bit of difference, but you can program both to the point of being indistinguishable, as long as you program them withing the areas in which they dovetail.

Having said that, i do think that the general sound of the P08 is a bit more in your face, a bit brighter, whereas the Andy seems to sound a bit more umm organic perhaps.

Anyway.. since i've had the P08 a bit longer, i made a demo tune consisting mainly of P08 sounds, some lindrum samples (along with P08 drums), and a little bit of D50.

http://moonbase69.nl/mp3/Fra%20MauroX.mp3

I haven't had the andy for too long yet, so i didn't make an all out tune with it yet .. but here's a little taster of what i can make it do Smile

A6cs80.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  A6cs80.mp3
 Filesize:  5.67 MB
 Downloaded:  218 Time(s)

purpurkatten

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one! Smile You know how to make a synthsong, for sure!

Looking forward to your take on the A6!!

All A6 programming pros, don´t hesitate to put together your best patches and make them available on the Internet! If you´d like to charge a reasonable fee for others to download them, that is fine by me! The more attention and patches and community for the Andromeda, the better!
Payt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well i just finished work on my first full track with the A6. All sounds in this tune are the Andy, except for the drums, which are samples i made of the Prophet 08. Of course the Andy could have produced drums too, but since i had these samples laying around, i used them Smile

Battlesynth Galactica
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool song and cool arrangement of classic synth techniques! Very Happy One of the best songs made by using an A6 I´ve heard so far!

I take it you like Bladerunner?...

All A6 programming pros, don´t hesitate to put together your best patches and make them available on the Internet! If you´d like to charge a reasonable fee for others to download them, that is fine by me! The more attention and patches and community for the Andromeda, the better!
Payt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot Smile And yes, i do like Bladerunner a lot. Actually, i've extended the ending a bit and hopefully made it a bit more interesting with some chord progressions Smile See how you like it this way!
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice epic chord progressing at the end, I like it! Very Happy
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Payt, I don´t mean to be flattering, but the last week or so I´ve played your song "Battlesynth Galactica" (long version) over and over. It´s really winning on me and I like it very much.

Please make more songs with the A6! cheesy

Payt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks again. I did make more music, which you can find on moonbase69.com. One other tune i made was features a lot of Mopho and Jupiter 6.

http://moonbase69.nl/mp3/FreeRunning.mp3
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tip! I´m checking out the music on your site right now.

Nice pictures of your studio BTW! I love the cat! cat

draconis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject:  A6 song Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there!

http://draconis.tvn.hu/mp3/smoother.mp3

Basses, pads, seqs, leads - Alesis Andromeda A6
Drums, fxs, pads - Korg Triton Extreme
Singing - Yamaha Vocaloid

Cheers...
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: A6 song Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

draconis wrote:
Hi there!

http://draconis.tvn.hu/mp3/smoother.mp3

Basses, pads, seqs, leads - Alesis Andromeda A6
Drums, fxs, pads - Korg Triton Extreme
Singing - Yamaha Vocaloid

Cheers...

Some nice beats there! Smile

sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

strong !

( i listened to it while watching this video, great combination ..:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmwIgF2gekY )
Page 3 of 3 [70 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: