electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Modular
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
indeep

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Modular
Subject description: modular, building, buying, diying
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well this is my second post here, the first one is here http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-26795.html .
So by now all i want to do is build (buying and latter diying) a modular.
I have been looking for systems for me to beguin this journey, doepfer, synthesizers, motm etc...a bunch of them.
And i have a couple of questions, im in europe so should i go for european manufactures (because customs services is a turnoff).
Second, whats the best modular system (i mean they all look good, but i want to start with a basic system, and then upgrading to other modules, and this will be a life time objective.
third im not rich and i want to start with 300 to 400 euros, is this enough to a good cabinet, and a couple of modules ?
cheers
indeep

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did i post i the wrong place ?
(2 weeks and no reply) did i do something ?
Help me out
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a whole subforum dedicated to modulars here: http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-115.html , maybe post there (or maybe an admin could move this thread there).

/Stefan

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi indeep,

I think you posted in as good a place as any, although this isn't the most active section of the site. Sorry you didn't get any immediate answers.

Rack mount or cabinet or suitcase type....Bananna jacks, 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch plugs - it's kind of up to you. There are benefits and drawbacks for each format. I chose MOTM size panels 10.5 inch by 2 1/4 inch with 1/4 inch jacks mounted in wood cabs. I don't travel with mine so size isn't an issue, and I just like big knobs and beefy plugs.

Basic modules of any system are VCO, VCF, VCA, ADSR, Where you go from there depends on what you want to do with it.
LFO, Noise source, mixer, Sample and hold, and a sequencer might be the next steps. If you go 1/4 inch jacks you will need Mults.
If you play keyboard or want to control it by computer you will need a midi to CV module, or a CV keyboard.
Lots of other modules are available but those would be a good start.

I would think you could get a good start for the price range you mention.

For me, the fun is in DIY - so I have not any purchased completed modules, although you could sure do that. I don't think you'll save much by DIY if you figure in the time spent building, but if you enjoy the building process, DIY can get you some nice modules for less cash spent.
There is quite a lot of activity and discussion about modules in the DIY section - you might make some inquiry there.

Hope that helps a little - if nothing else, maybe someone else will chime in with what they think....

good luck, and welcome to the forum

bruce
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Moved it, had missed it earlier ... 300 / 400 euro seems not like a lot of budget to me for a modular system ... I think doepfer might have lowest prices?
indeep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The idea its to start to buy the basic modules, and to get some knowledge about this (prices range,etc.. ).
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a way to get started...

$560 for a Paia frac rack system
VCO, VCA, VCF, MIDI to CV Conv., Patch cords and case/Power supply

http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=P9700S&cat=12
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Modular

Yes, the Paja seems to be the best if not the only solution for that budget.
dougcl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks like a pretty good way to get started in euro rack format:
http://www.analoguehaven.com/mfb/kraftzwerg/kraftzwerg.jpg

although the price is a little higher than the PAiA.

Doug
uberman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Modular

Funky40 wrote:
Yes, the Paja seems to be the best if not the only solution for that budget.

Also check out Blacet stuff! It is also Frac format and John makes absolutely killer sounding modules. Might be a bit out of your budget - but it is better in my opinion that Doepfer stuff (I had and sold an A-100).

http://www.blacet.com/
Cat-A-Tonic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keep in mind that modular synths are super addictive.
If you are going to take the plunge then plan for expandability.

I chose Blacet for my core system. I have bought everything from kits or used. There are lots of other great Frac manufacturers as well, but everyone seems to think that the PAiA is much lower quality than Blacet.
I don't have any experience with the PAiA modular though; only word of mouth.

Frac is compatable with Euro in terms of 1/8" jack size. There are minor issues with voltage levels between Euro VCAs and Blacet EGs, but these are easily overcome if you plan for it. Their power supplies are also different. Frac is completely compatable with MOTM in terms of power.

MOTM has a pretty good DIY community providing front panels.
Folks with big fat fingers tend to prefer the larger formats like MOTM and DotCom.

Frac and Euro are the most portable and compact solutions available and they both have a ton of manufacturers making an incredible amount of crazy modules.

I am going to try to stop at 6 Fracs and 3 Euros + DIY in U racks

OR you could buy 1 Wiard 300 module which is a synth in itself and add more as your budget recovers or is recalculated.

If you do get into this hobby you can expect your budget to be recalculated quickly and your concepts about the value of money to fly out the window. It really is alot like crack, FraCrack.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: