electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Birthday Waldorf!
Page 2 of 4 [79 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Jyoti

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

corazon wrote:
Hi
Seems that some bugs I found (system volume knob not working etc), and some other bugs people reported on the waldorf mailing list, only occur if you use midi over USB. So if you're using it over USB you may want to try using a standard midi cable and seeing if the problem disappears.

Ed

Thanks, Ed! Every bit of info helps.

Ahh, can't wait to have a working Blodorf!

Jyoti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BUGGERATION!

Got my replacement Waldorf this morning.

And...

It exhibits the same distortion, pops and crackles. Sad

Although I could keep it and see if the coming firmware fixes these issues, I think I'll return it. I'm just a bit wary of Waldorf now, which makes me incredibly sad. Sad

T7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you'll still have time to return the Blofeld afterward, it couldn't hurt to give the firmware update a chance. It seems to me, there must have been a hardware revision on the Blofeld, or we wouldn't see these problems on multiple units. And I don't recall any complaints of similar problems on early Blofelds. I do understand where you're coming from though. However, I'm taking a chance and just ordered my Blofeld. It should be here Wednesday.
Jyoti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh, I really don't know what to do!

Do I return it and get another, similarly priced little synth (an R3 maybe?) or do I wait for the firmware upgrade? What if the upgrade doesn't fix my unit?

I guess I'll have to ask Absolute if I can have extra time to install the new firmware before a refund / alternative.
Crying or Very sad

Also... when will the upgrade be out? Question

Delivery time of things like that can slip a great deal.

rh2y

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jyoti wrote:

I guess I'll have to ask Absolute if I can have extra time to install the new firmware before a refund / alternative.

I wonder if maybe you should return it for a refund (if they'll do that), then buy one again once the firmware update is out and people verify that the update does the job.

I think the Blofeld is more capable than the R3, although the R3 does have a vocoder and step sequencer. But I think the Blofeld has a wider range of sounds. They are very different animals, though, so hard to say. I have too many Korgs already, so I'm a little biased against picking up yet another one myself (I considered the R3 and Radias), your mileage may vary.

Still, nice birthday present; hope you can get it sorted!

Russ

Shameless-er plug: http://www.evatontechnologies.com/music-products

Music: http://www.soundcloud.com/rh2y
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I returned mine and got a refund. Basically I don´t need a doorstop. I´ll pick up a new Blofeld the moment all problems are resolved. The weird thing is that first one behaved just fine. Shocked

Just for the record, I think the Blofeld is simply amazing. I really hope Waldorf will sort this out ASAP.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Jyoti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the advice, peeps!

Yeah, I think, regretfully, I'm going to go the refund route. As to what I'll do with that money - there are lots of boring, workaday studio items I need. But I'd feel sad thinking about my birthday and looking at some dull rack gear instead of a synth. Crying or Very sad

I'm going to have a look through the Absolute site and see what intstruments are available in the same price range. Cool

dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I have decided to keep my Blofeld for now and wait for the update. It's a very nice addition to my studio, composed mostly by Clavia and Yamaha gear. I'll let you know if the update works when it's released Smile
Jyoti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers, dude! Yep, I'm very curious to know the outcome.
T7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I got my Blofeld last week. The headphone amp on this thing puts out enough white backround noise to cure a bad case of tinnitus.
My dealer is sending me a replacement. I hope the headphone amp isn't naff on the new one as well.

...No bug fix available from Waldorf and the week ends tomorrow. Rolling Eyes

On a positive note, the Blofeld sounds f****** great!
Jyoti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Both my units have been returned now. I think I shall spend my refund on modular synth bits! Cool
rh2y

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Firmware update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like the new firmware update was released today. I haven't tried it yet, as I just walked in the door, checked the Waldorf website, and discovered the news.

Cheers,

Russ

Jyoti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I hope it resolves everyone's problems. Too late for me. Sad
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blofeld Firmware V1.03
17/08/2008:
This version adresses a number of bugs reported by our users and our beta testers. It is recommended for all users of the Blofeld.

Improvements:
Fixed noise of PPG Filter type in combination with Wavetable Oscillator type.
Fixed spurious crackling of Phaser in FX1 slot.
Fixed Parts 5 to 16 stereo output assignment.
FX2 Mix mixes the signals of Parts 5 to 16 into FX2 of Part 1 correctly now.
Fixed Sustain Pedal bug reported by users.
Fixed Arpeggiator One Shot mode.
Fixed abrupt volume increase when changing sound volumes of held notes.
Fixed spurious encoder crosstalk.
Only audible Effect parameters can be edited.
Known issues:
Booting the Blofeld might result in a freeze when USB is connected and a sequencer application (i.e. Logic 7 or newer) is open. Logic, for example, sends certain MIDI messages to a new MIDI Port as soon as it appears.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, that list seems promising!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
rh2y

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Blofeld Firmware V1.03

Fixed spurious encoder crosstalk.

W00T!

Well, now I can't wait to try the firmware upgrade. I was having this issue where, when I'd turn any knob, the rightmost knob occasionally would also respond. I figured that was a minor hardware issue; never guessed a firmware problem.

I'll be sure to report back once I've had a chance to do the upgrade.

Russ

T7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
dorremifasol wrote:
Happy Birthday Jyoti!

I gave me a Blofeld as a birthday gift too, it arrived yesterday. Unfortunately it seems that my unit isn't working well either Sad

As you say, it makes a lot of distortion in many presets, specially the ones that use the phaser effect. So, I will have to return it, aghhh!

Hmm.. this is sad. Sad

I got a new one on monday - my first had a flaky paint job. And this new one has some issues with distortion and some nonsensical behaviour with parameters and stuff.
Too bad, the Blofeld is one of the best low end synths around ever. It is also built like a tank and it looks absolutely decent inside as well. I´ll return it tomorrow and get my money back. But I´ll grab another one probably a month or three from now when they have the glitches worked out.

I just got my replacement Blofeld, it has the same flakey paint around the LCD as your first one. Time for a refund. Rolling Eyes
Jyoti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh dear... Sad
T7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...Just wanted to add:

The replacement Blofeld has the same white background noise from the headphone amp, though it is better, the first Blofeld headphone amp has a static distorted sound from the right channel. Crying or Very sad

I guess I'll wait for the Blofeld MK II, with MIDI out, and S/PDIF optical out. Laughing
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 47

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just updated my Blofeld with the new firmware. Now it seems to work fine to me, no crackles or strange noises. I haven't done any patch editing yet with the new OS, but I hope it works ok. Smile
Jyoti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's great news! thumb up
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I just ordered one, I will let you know how it goes, fingers crossed!

Andy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Jyoti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good luck, Andy! It's a fab little synth, I love the display on it.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I justified it as I have never had a Waldorf synth and I liked the sound of it.

And I was feeling a bit sad and shopping for shiny things always helps Very Happy
Page 2 of 4 [79 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Jump to: