electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Sticky button on G2
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
King Rat

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Sticky button on G2
Subject description: Anyone know a fix?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Before anyone says it, I've already tried the WD40 approach...
I have a sticking button on my G2 (specifically, the Page 2 button of the parameter page buttons on the right hand side). If I open up the case and loosen the circuit board from the metal case, the button itself seems to be ok which indicates that it's just sticking on the hole in the case. Why it has started doing this after 2 years is a mystery.
Anyone had similar problems and found a fix?
Cheers
Angus
P.S. Hello everyone - I don't think I've posted for about a year. Family life...
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi King Rat,

I've a sticky button as well (octave shift) lucky enough i hardly use that button, I can get it out by pressing on the metal case underneath the knob. Also it depends a bit on the temperature in my studio/G2.
I'm wondering what the WD40 approach is you're talking about?

greets,
misty.

dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My second hand Nord Rack 3 had the same problem with the Unison button, but as soon as I started using it the problem disappeared.

Maybe they get stuck more if you don't use them.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More Clavia synths have this. The problem seems to be that there is a bit much paint in the hole the button sticks through ... I know some people fixed it themselves for the Nord Modular without too much trouble ... scraping off a bit of paint IIRC. Carefully repositioning the synth internals a mm or less might also solve the issue maybe.

WD40 isn't that contact spray?

King Rat

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I always carry a can of WD40 in my tool box with all my instruments. You'd be amazed what a squirt of WD40 will achieve, especially when it comes to things that are sticking or crackling pots on amps etc.!
Guess I'll just have to scrape away at the hole a bit.
Thanks folks.
Angus
geg3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the button under the 5th pot of my brand new g2 has this problem. if i press the metal to the left of it, it pops back up. i just kept pressing it over and over and now it only sticks slightly. when i install the expansion card, ill probably file some paint away
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

King Rat wrote:
I always carry a can of WD40 in my tool box with all my instruments. You'd be amazed what a squirt of WD40 will achieve, especially when it comes to things that are sticking or crackling pots on amps etc.!
Guess I'll just have to scrape away at the hole a bit.
Thanks folks.
Angus

Please King Rat, give up the WD40! Surprised
Replace it with some CRC or similar contact cleaner. Alchohol based and evaporates completely with no residue. Very Happy
WD40 is largely kerosine which will make plastic or paint go slowly gooey, thus worsening sticky buttons. Sad The rest of it is an oily residue which will attract dust and dirt and make scratchy pots and dodgy switches worse. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Uncle Krunkus on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good for spark plugs though
jima

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

King Rat wrote:
You'd be amazed what a squirt of WD40 will achieve, especially when it comes to things that are sticking or crackling pots on amps etc.!

I'm really struggling to think of anything worse you could spray on a pot than WD40. Superglue, perhaps, or liquid sugar...

Jim
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beer isn't good.
kogmachine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: drying time for electrical contact cleaner Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wondering what the drying time for that electrical contact cleaner would be. I used some on a window control switch for my car and about a month later the switch had gone wrong. I can't roll down the drivers window, the mirror adjustment contol operates on it is own, and the front passenger operates down but not up. I know this isn't an auto forum and I ask because I wouldn't want to damage my G2 with a sticky "- octave" button. I thought I had allowed enough time for the cleaner to dry, but on reflection I may have oversaturated that window switch increasing the drying time.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: