electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
No need to emulate a 303 & New "Love, Haagen" Set mp3
Page 3 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Forgive the ignorance of the question, but why a 303 hardware clone? I know you are very skilled with the Nord. I would think it's possible to do a pretty good emulation of a device like the 303 with a G2 patch or some other software, but please inform me if I'm jumping the gun on this one. I'm really not familiar with the 303, but I'm curious as to what the your favorite features of the unit are. (Other than that building your own synth hardware is pretty damn cool and fun Wink ) Is it for the hardware sequencer interface? Are the filters, osc's, etc. difficult to closely replicate in a software synthesizer (G2 or otherwise)? I'm just trying to get more familiar with the unique aspects of these x0xb0x units from a your user perspective.
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sunny you will be very hard pressed to have an accurate
303 emu on the G2, sure some can come sort of close, but only in partial and limited ways.

flower

The G2 being digital is the main cause of these issues.

There are many 303 clones/emus out there, you will have better luck with
the analog varieties.

Don't get me wrong the G2 is amazing, and you can have some wild fun with 303 or other emus, or create a whole new beast of your own...
Idea
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zynthetix wrote:
Forgive the ignorance of the question, but why a 303 hardware clone? I know you are very skilled with the Nord. I would think it's possible to do a pretty good emulation of a device like the 303 with a G2 patch or some other software, but please inform me if I'm jumping the gun on this one. I'm really not familiar with the 303, but I'm curious as to what the your favorite features of the unit are. (Other than that building your own synth hardware is pretty damn cool and fun Wink ) Is it for the hardware sequencer interface? Are the filters, osc's, etc. difficult to closely replicate in a software synthesizer (G2 or otherwise)? I'm just trying to get more familiar with the unique aspects of these x0xb0x units from a your user perspective.

well, the x0xb0x kind of landed on my lap and this is not a unit one says no to (the waiting list is over 1200 people).

now, the analog filter circuit is definitely, totally, different and smoother than anything a digital alternative (since I can separate it from the synth with the vco out vcf in mod) and the way the amp an env envelopes are set up in conjunction with accent are big differences between the G2. this all having replaced the x0xb0x osc with the G2 oscs in my experiments ...

the tone is vastly different. you have to hear both next to the other. and for me, the waldorf xt also sounds different than my g2, the smoothness and transitions between cutoff settings and the resonance just flows vs the G2 which is quite stiff and generic (not a bad thing, just different, or un-different, but of course it is all up to one's patching!) ....

the way the x0xb0x analog filter interacts with distortion is waaay different. in a smooth lazy kind of way ...
/Dasz
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I don't know how likely it is that I'll ever get to see one in person so I appreciate the answers.
Page 3 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: