electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Cwejman Sound
Cwejman S1 MKII VS. Modular
Page 3 of 4 [84 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
monads

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jazzpunk wrote:
I was at Big City Music this weekend playing with the S1 and discussed the issue with them as well. While the demo unit was the older one without the holes in the PCB, they have been using shorter cables as well and thus have not experienced any shorting issues. They were however, happy to have the potential for problems brought to their attention as using the shorter cables was just a happy accident!

Just our luck. I was using the patchcords Roger sold me Wink I like these patchcords too, but I can't seem to find the exact ones anymore Crying or Very sad

Jazzpunk wrote:
I was very impressed with the sound of the S1 in person but must admit I had some trouble dialing in sounds. As the S1 runs almost $4,000 (!) I'll definitely need to spend more time with it before I can justify parting with that kind of dough.

You just have to get familiar with the front panel, and spend a little time with the manual. After you can whip up sounds quick. It's easy if you read the front panel from left to right. Oscillator>Mixer>Filter>Envelop>Amp.

You can thank the rising cost due to the crappy weak dollar! I paid $3,247 (includes taxes) for my S1mk2 brand new back in 2005. Now exactly 3yrs later is almost $4,000 with taxes!? The unit price before taxes from 2005 to present comes in around a 7% increase each year! And COLA is 3% each year? Go figure Rolling Eyes

But hey, glad to help out. Any other questions just let us know. Cool
doctorvague

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First, I'd like to say that in just now seeing this thread and trying to get up to speed that it would have been SO much clearer if everyone would use the full name S1Mk2 if that's what it is, since the S1 is a different model. I see "S1" all through the thread and am confused as hell trying to figure it out if you really mean an S1 or are just abbreviating S1Mk2.

I have S1Mk2 serial number 38 and labeled S1Mk2 front and back. Purchased mid-2006. I had one scratchy pot once and one switch starting to go out. Shawn contacted him and he sent a whole bag of various parts quickly, so I still have spares on hand. I opted to do the work myself to save shipping and shipping time and I was curious to see the guts. The only other issue has been the MIDI converter hanging once in a while. There might be a reset or sysex solution or something and I haven't bothered with it to be honest.

As to the unit itself, I just love it. I use the shit out of it and do lots patching. I use it with no patching and also patching it to a bunch of modular stuff and often just use sections of it within a larger modular patch, like using the oscillators and the envelopes for example. I really REALLY like the envelopes and the way the knob is scaled, etc. The envelope delay is a great bonus that I use way more often than I thought I ever would. How you would get ANY more functionality out of that much space is beyond me. The guy should get some kind of award just for that aspect of it. And yet it's not so crowded as to be non-ergonomic IMO. The jack field at the bottom makes total sense to me. I'm still amazed by it and find new ways to patch it all the time. Other times I fire it up and play it more like a minimoog with MIDI and use it the standard way with no patching at all. This might piss somebody off, but I put it in league with a Minimoog (which I also own) or a 2600 - in terms of being a truly classic original design. I love that he didn't emulate anything to get there, but built it from the ground up.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but just voicing one guy's opinion. And there are a few things I would change 'in a perfect world' but not that much really. Whoever is having problems I hope for a speedy solution for you. I hate to read bad stuff about the S1Mk2 as I like mine so much, but also totally understand your frustration of course. Best of luck with resolutions and on to making music.

Anything else you want to ask specifically I'll try to answer as I do have a lot of hours in on mine and know it pretty well at this point.

Cheers
Phil

monads

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

doctorvague wrote:
it would have been SO much clearer if everyone would use the full name S1Mk2 if that's what it is, since the S1 is a different model. I see "S1" all through the thread and am confused as hell trying to figure it out if you really mean an S1 or are just abbreviating S1Mk2.

I went back and edited my posts so there's no confusion Wink You're right, the original S1 is a different model.

doctorvague wrote:

Other times I fire it up and play it more like a minimoog with MIDI and use it the standard way with no patching at all. This might piss somebody off, but I put it in league with a Minimoog (which I also own) or a 2600 - in terms of being a truly classic original design. I love that he didn't emulate anything to get there, but built it from the ground up.

I actually use it more than my Voyager Razz An award for front panel design is in order.
Jazzpunk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

doctorvague wrote:
First, I'd like to say that in just now seeing this thread and trying to get up to speed that it would have been SO much clearer if everyone would use the full name S1Mk2 if that's what it is, since the S1 is a different model. I see "S1" all through the thread and am confused as hell trying to figure it out if you really mean an S1 or are just abbreviating S1Mk2.

I have S1Mk2 serial number 38 and labeled S1Mk2 front and back. Purchased mid-2006. I had one scratchy pot once and one switch starting to go out. Shawn contacted him and he sent a whole bag of various parts quickly, so I still have spares on hand. I opted to do the work myself to save shipping and shipping time and I was curious to see the guts. The only other issue has been the MIDI converter hanging once in a while. There might be a reset or sysex solution or something and I haven't bothered with it to be honest.

As to the unit itself, I just love it. I use the shit out of it and do lots patching. I use it with no patching and also patching it to a bunch of modular stuff and often just use sections of it within a larger modular patch, like using the oscillators and the envelopes for example. I really REALLY like the envelopes and the way the knob is scaled, etc. The envelope delay is a great bonus that I use way more often than I thought I ever would. How you would get ANY more functionality out of that much space is beyond me. The guy should get some kind of award just for that aspect of it. And yet it's not so crowded as to be non-ergonomic IMO. The jack field at the bottom makes total sense to me. I'm still amazed by it and find new ways to patch it all the time. Other times I fire it up and play it more like a minimoog with MIDI and use it the standard way with no patching at all. This might piss somebody off, but I put it in league with a Minimoog (which I also own) or a 2600 - in terms of being a truly classic original design. I love that he didn't emulate anything to get there, but built it from the ground up.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but just voicing one guy's opinion. And there are a few things I would change 'in a perfect world' but not that much really. Whoever is having problems I hope for a speedy solution for you. I hate to read bad stuff about the S1Mk2 as I like mine so much, but also totally understand your frustration of course. Best of luck with resolutions and on to making music.

Anything else you want to ask specifically I'll try to answer as I do have a lot of hours in on mine and know it pretty well at this point.

Cheers
Phil

Went back and edited my posts as well so as not to cause further confusion.

Thanks for the review. Love to hear some more demos or tunes using the S1 MKII if anybody feels like posting some!
doctorvague

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the edits. that will certainly help anyone who comes along later and reads this thread!
doctorvague

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since you asked...
The sound is all Cwejman S1Mk2 with no patch cords. Driven by 2 Doepfer sequencers and a Modcan quantizer, a DIY computer interface etc. Excerpts from a long improv. Under 3MB each- hey, what do you have to lose? No funny business on the sound other than a UA 140 plate verb.

http://idisk.mac.com/doctorvague/Public/Clips/S1Mk2_Demo1.mp3

http://idisk.mac.com/doctorvague/Public/Clips/S1Mk2_Demo2.mp3

http://idisk.mac.com/doctorvague/Public/Clips/S1Mk2_Demo4.mp3

[edited to remove duplicate link]

Last edited by doctorvague on Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Jazzpunk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

doctorvague wrote:
Since you asked...
The sound is all Cwejman S1Mk2 with no patch cords. Driven by 2 Doepfer sequencers and a Modcan quantizer, a DIY computer interface etc. Excerpts from a long improv. Under 3MB each- hey, what do you have to lose? No funny business on the sound other than a UA 140 plate verb.

Those were great, thanks! Very Happy
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking at this just from a technical point, I suggest a fix. It looks to me like not all of the jacks have copper traces running under them, there may only be a few that have this problem. This fix only needs to be done to those jacks.

I'm not getting into the issue of whether a fix like this should be done by the manufacturer or if it is up to the customer, I'm just offering a technical fix. Of course, there are other options that have been discussed like using only patchcords with shorter tips, or maybe changing hardware to keep the patchcord tips away from the PCB, but I'm not sure if those are complete solutions and this fix would definitely resolve it for good.

Basically, you are bypassing the small section of copper trace that runs under the jack, so it doesn't matter if the patchcord cuts through the green mask and touches the copper. Like so:

Cwejman fix.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.48 KB
 Viewed:  747 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Cwejman fix.jpg

Sound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Davep! Good looking for a solution.

The matter is that there is circuit under 50 of the 65 Jack sockets of the frontpanel of the S1MK2.

also, under all the below line, the bottom line, of jacksockets pas a bus of circuits, from un side to other. I dont remember exactly ... maybe 6 lines.

All is very little because the components are SMD and also a lot of the jack sockets are switched so i f you could cut a circuit maybe you are cutting the switched signal wich maybe runs for the other side of the PCB. It's doble side PCB.

There is other solution that is to separate the jack sockets of the PCB, according my measures its possible separate almost two milimetres.
It will be difficult because the jacksockets have three legs... but I thing that there is a way to do it. The problem is that they are 65 jacksockets! and there are a lot of SMD components close the jacksockets legs, IC's included. So I'm afraid that some components can be damaged.

But I think that the real solution is to replace the PCB.

Regards.
Sound

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

monads wrote:
Well, I got some answers.
Second I got in contact with Wowa Cwejman. He tells me the 2005 production year of S1mk2s have higher sockets and should be ok.

Also doctorvague had not noticed any problem with the jack sockets. And he uses the S1MK2 a lot.
I bought the S1 in abril 2006 but due the oscilator faults, the manufacturer changed the PCB on nobember 2006.
So maybe there are only some S1Mk2 with this problem, so maybe its more easy to solve it.

What I dont understand is that in MAY 2007 when I contacted the manufacturer refering this problem he answered me that he was aware about this problem.

So why to wait for that the customer notices the problem?

My S1MK2 was under warranty when I noticed the problems with its sockets(Two years in the CCEE) and the only solution that he offered me is to replace the nuts for others 0'4mm higher.

I said to the manufacturer in may 2007 that the solution is to replace the PCB for other of new design. No answer about this point. But he has made this solution for the news S1Mk2...and what happens with the other affected units?

I think that he must to offer the option of replace the PCB.

Regards.

[color=red]Edited[/color] for correct two dates. I wrote 2005 instead 2007.

Last edited by Sound on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:24 am; edited 2 times in total
doctorvague

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sound wrote:

Also doctorvague had not noticed any problem with the jack sockets. And he uses the S1 a lot.

For the record, I have an S1Mk2, not an S1.
Sound

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

doctorvague wrote:
Sound wrote:

Also doctorvague had not noticed any problem with the jack sockets. And he uses the S1 a lot.

For the record, I have an S1Mk2, not an S1.

Edited!
Jazzpunk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I've got my feelers out. Selling/trading my Voyager Select towards an MKII.

With any luck I'll be joining the club soon. Thanks for all of the tips/advice!
monads

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jazzpunk wrote:
Well I've got my feelers out. Selling/trading my Voyager Select towards an MKII.

Awesome. The Voyager is a nice synth though, but I think you might have more fun patching. Let us know when you get your S1mk2.
Jazzpunk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

monads wrote:
Jazzpunk wrote:

Awesome. The Voyager is a nice synth though, but I think you might have more fun patching. Let us know when you get your S1mk2.

Yeah, I hope I don't regret my decision but I just can't afford the luxury of owning both right now.

I've been feeling pretty uninspired by the conventional mono synth thing lately so hopefully the MKII will be the remedy I'm looking for!
monads

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jazzpunk wrote:

Yeah, I hope I don't regret my decision but I just can't afford the luxury of owning both right now.

I've been feeling pretty uninspired by the conventional mono synth thing lately so hopefully the MKII will be the remedy I'm looking for!

I hear ya. I play/experiment more with my cwejman gear than anything else.
doctorvague

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

monads wrote:
Jazzpunk wrote:

I hear ya. I play/experiment more with my cwejman gear than anything else.

Yes indeed. Cool
I won't comment on sound vs sound one way or the the other, but with the state of modular synthing right now it's a wonderful time to jump in, and when you're ready, add a Frac or Euro rack to augment the Cwejman. SO much more modular-friendly than the Moog, which is cool for what it is of course, and no Moog bashing here intended at all (I've got a mint Minimoog D), just different instruments. And in the interim you can patch the heck out of the Cwejman and take your time scanning what's out there and picking and choosing according to your style and interests. A new module comes out about every week these days it seems. If you want a bigger sound, buy different oscillators and filters, or get some sequencers or other CV sources, mixers - it's all fun. Hell it's fun even talking about it Very Happy
tompty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Jazzpunk,

I got my S1 just four days ago, and I can tell you now that you will not regret it. Its amazing having so much available in such a small space. I've been using the FM and ring modulator for some great sounds.

Will post photos/sound soon.
Jazzpunk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tompty wrote:
Hey Jazzpunk,

I got my S1 just four days ago, and I can tell you now that you will not regret it. Its amazing having so much available in such a small space. I've been using the FM and ring modulator for some great sounds.

Will post photos/sound soon.

Congrats man! Definitely post some demos when you get a chance.
Sound

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jazzpunk wrote:

You have chosen a good synthesizer.

I hope that you will be luckier than me.

Since April 2006 that I bought the S1, if I rest the time of the two shipments for repair it and that since May 2007 when I detected the problem with its sockets I stopped to use it because precaution, Since April 2006 I only used the S1MK2, 9 or 10 months. Not bad.

I think that a manufacturer not only has to design good synthesizers, also offer a warranty.

In November 2006 I received the S1MK2 after the second reparation; the manufacturer changed the PCB because the Oscillator2 fault.
In May 2007 I noticed the problem with its sockets, I contacted him about that and he answered me that he was aware of this problem.

The solution that he offered me doesn’t work according my measures.

The solution that I thing that works - a hole in the PCB under each jacksocket - is in the VCEQ-3 PCB that he sent me in December 2006, and, it seems, in the new S1MK2s.

My machine was under warranty and I would like that he change the PCB of my S1MK2, but this time for one that works fine.

Best Regards.
Sound

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jazzpunk wrote:

I noticed that the modules had the thicker nuts that you mentioned earlier. I thought they looked really cool!

It seems to me that combining the thicker nuts with the shorter patch cables that you found might actually be the perfect solution. I think you should at least try it and see if it solves your problem.

Hi Jazz,

I have tested this.

I put a washer within the nut of a jack socket and the frontpanel.

I used a lemburg KLS22 plug. that is 13,5mm long.

With a 0.8mm thick washer the jacsocket do not hold the plug.

With a 0.5mm thick washer the jacksocket hold the plug but not well, because if you touch the plug, it go away from the jack socket. It is not well holded so there is not a good contact.

I have not a 0.4mm thick washer but I understand that a tenth of milimeter will not solve anything.

So, the solution of the 0.4mm higher nut does not work.

Regards.
Jazzpunk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry to hear that.
Sound

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No answer, no other solution offered, so I'm opening the S1 again, I will try to separate all the 65 jack sockets 2mm from the PCB. I hope that all will be OK.
I will publish other thread with the results.

Regards.
Sound

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3640/3417726568_b211a8d69f_b.jpg

It is working.

Only the switch gate LFO does not respond to gate2, I think that this happened before, and the MIDI some times hold the first note. Let's see if I can solve it, at least the matter of the MIDI.

It is not mounted still, seems that all the other parts work OK I'm testing it, I will investigate a little more in depth.

I feel much better. Very Happy

Regards.
softfin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats Sound! salut
Page 3 of 4 [84 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Cwejman Sound
Jump to: