electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Artists » Stein Grebstad
Elektro 80: The Wild Blue Part 3
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Elektro 80: The Wild Blue Part 3 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

This is part 3 of my piece "The Wild Blue". I am returning to it now.. fixing some small issues here and there. Then, hopefully I can start the mixing soon. This version is older.. but contains some corrections I did in april this year.

The piece itself is about the allied bombing of Germany during WW2. A friend of mine is helping me with making a vdieo. I have spent a year or so looking for source material for the video.

And yes. there is a lot of PPG in here...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fab... I can imagine the video. This is a very cool track. To me this is similar to American Mountain Music, something remotely like a banjo. Can't wait to hear a next version. Splendid...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
beat amateur

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agreed, the piece sounds good!

My question is, what do you anticipate working on when you mix this track? The sound seems good over the home computer setup I'm using; would a listen on studio monitors reveal anything I'm not hearing?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THX guys!

Yes.. there is a lot of small issues here. First of all.. specifically in this file export I did not handle levels well, so there is a lot of clipping and distortion here.

And then the mixing... .. many issues.. eq... bass rolloff .. more bass... smarter compression.. pan..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I record everything in stereo and this mix is pretty much all channels on the virtual mixer set at -5 dB or something. This means that there will be a lot of small problems all over the place which will need some special attention and some tweaking.
When I make stuff like this I usually think about how it will work at extreme volumes preferably live. Obviously this will not do when I am supposed to be making a recording for CD.
There are some sounds in here that I guess I might try to rerecord using the Nord Modular. ....some minor details.. I am still learning the NM. It is one magnificent little instrument.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Your tune Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Elektro

There's no doubt about the professionalism of the production. It sounds absolutely buy-from-the-shop perfect to me so I can't really see what you're seeking to improve about it. Your kit is also clearly quite nice as the synths sound fine.

I like the choice of instruments a great deal but the tune itself doesn't excite me that much - it doesn't inspire any particular emotion if you see what I mean. It sounds good in the ears but I wouldn't necessarily pick it out over some of the other music I listen to.

What's the link between the piece and bombing of Germany?

Cheers

Dovder
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Your tune Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

man this guy is hard to please, eh ! hehehe ... well i always say that the audience is fickle and demanding..that is good...
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy ... hard to please eh?
No probs.
As for improvements.. well.. I can hear lotsa small things that should be fixed.. and the mix is where 99% of this will be corrected. This file contains some distortion.. which is pretty easy to hear.. and very annoying. Most of the work is however in the previous sections.
The link to the bombing.. well.. long story.. but I imagine the full piece and the video will make that evident.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The topic itself is so emotionally complex and devastating that it's very difficult to have an emotional response at all. I like the music because it sets a mood that is not emotional or judgemental, yet these is a sense of seriousness.

My uncle was a B17 captian during the war. He flew 20 missions (the odds of making this were less than 1 in 5, and signed up for another tour. He made another 5 before the war ended. So when I think of this topic, I think of him quite a bit. He didn't like talking much about it. My mom told me that one time he flew his plane back to England and everyone was dead; he didn't have a scratch. He thought his intercom was shot out because he wan't hearing from the rest of the guys. He got another crew and went back.

This topic covers just about every human emotion from love, courage, heroism, and bravery down to evil, hate, barbarism, fear, murder, suffering, desparation, pain, sorrow, and worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
not emotional or judgemental, yet these is a sense of seriousness.

THX.. well. yes.. a fantastic oberservation.. This is in fact what I have had in mind when I wrote the various pieces in this series.
You are right.. the issues here are very complex. This is about the insane slaughter of young men in their planes.. and the utter devastation of human life on the ground. The simple fact that most of us really think the outcome of World War 2 was right and worth the effort.. well.. this really makes the whole thing even harder to handle emotionally.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Your tune Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul wrote:
man this guy is hard to please, eh ! hehehe ... well i always say that the audience is fickle and demanding..that is good...

Um. I wouldn't say I'm hard to please. The track is excellently produced and well written. But I'm sure everything Elektro does is. He knows what he's doing. So my review is set at a 'high level'.

Similarly, if a total amateur posted his first track and it wasn't very good, I wouldn't just tear it to pieces. You try to balance your review or criticism based on the "level" of the musician.

As a general policy, I try to find something positive and something negative to say about everything people post. Maybe this isn't wise. I don't know.

Anyway, I understand Mosc started a thread to discuss this particular topic. I'm going to find it.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Your tune Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:

As a general policy, I try to find something positive and something negative to say about everything people post. Maybe this isn't wise. I don't know.

Relax, no probs. We have had similar discussions before. It is damned hard to handle this well.. you can be too kind or too harsh.. well.. not easy..
When I hear something I that does not sound that "good" to me.. I often try to figure out why and what the music really is about. I´d like to think that I can listen to whatever and appreciate it. Another thing is that this field is extremely diverse.

How is that take on Faure going?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Your tune Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
Um. I wouldn't say I'm hard to please. The track is excellently produced and well written. But I'm sure everything Elektro does is. He knows what he's doing. So my review is set at a 'high level'.

THX David. Well..anyway.. I expect critical reviews at a "high level", but I am very aware that my music goes elsewhere than in the direction of modern beat oriented pop. I am playing around with tonal melodic elements and layered voices.. but not with melody in the conventional sense. I often realize when I listen to various kinds of music that I can hear that it is "objectively" good but I cannot quite relate to it. I have this love hate thing with Haydn. OK.. the dude can write his stuff well.. but I am not into that kinda thing. Too bad. And yes.. listeners can of course have experience the same thing with my music. That is how it is. This is neither good or bad. This is just the way it is.

However... we all love good reviews.. hahahaha! ...argh..

Shocked Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Your tune Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:

What's the link between the piece and bombing of Germany?r

that's a damn good question Very Happy
as I started listening to this piece it reminded of Japan (not the German ally of WWII Shocked ) but the English group of the eighties. I would say this piece is as nice as it is off topic.
I like it as everything else by ElektroEighty just do not tell me it has anything to do with wars, bombings etc.

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well... you have heard the whole complete thing in an earlier version so I guess you know.. kinda.. Shocked Very Happy
Hmm.. well.. it is only music.. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Stein Grebstad
Jump to: