electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
basic g2 instruction?
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
babasynth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: basic g2 instruction? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone.

I just bought a nord g2, and it seems amazing. I have been playing an Alesis Micron, and love it. That's a very simple instrument to use. The Nord is obviously totally different. The manual doesn't seem to explain things well, so I'm looking for some basic instruction / tutorial to use the G2 as a live performance instrument. I might get into using a computer with it at some point, but for now I'd like to use the keyboard on its own.

I have a few initial questions:

Can each slot only have one layer on it? So does that mean I can only have 4 layers going in each performance?

Once I have a drum beat going in one slot, how can I turn it off and on during the performance?

Can I assign a slot to just one key, so I can turn things on and off during the performance?

I've been looking through the internet for some basic tutorial on how to use the G2 as a live performance instrument on its own (without using a computer and messing too much with patches), but haven't been able to find anything yet. Any leads?

thanks so much!
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: basic g2 instruction? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome babasynth

Quote:
Can each slot only have one layer on it? So does that mean I can only have 4 layers going in each performance?
Yes, but it's enough, I believe Wink
Quote:
Once I have a drum beat going in one slot, how can I turn it off and on during the performance?
Just assign one of the buttons to the on/off knob of the Clock module.
Quote:
Can I assign a slot to just one key, so I can turn things on and off during the performance?
Mostly the buttons are used to perform these kind of commands, but surely using a NoteDetection module you are able to assign a command to a particular key.
BTW see a Slot as a complete synthesizer.
Quote:
I've been looking through the internet for some basic tutorial on how to use the G2 as a live performance instrument on its own (without using a computer and messing too much with patches), but haven't been able to find anything yet. Any leads?
Besides the tutorials written by Rob Hordijk about the G1 and the G2, I would recommend the Manual, which is also written by Rob Smile Study this as it is a holy book, like the bible or koran. What does it mean to me and my synth? And you have to use the computer, although not on stage, but studying the synth you'll need it...

Wout
babasynth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the welcome and for the info... I'm guitar player gone synth...
and I work very intuitively with sounds... live editing is where i like to do most synth work.. I have read the manual, but any editing tips for the g2 without using the computer are welcome. I want to get used to the synth first & learn it w/out the computer 1st..

Thanks!
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

Another guitar player gone bad.
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello and welcome,

there's a list with goodies at the top of this forum:
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-12871.html.

Best
sebber

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

babasynth wrote:
... I want to get used to the synth first & learn it w/out the computer 1st..
To give you my advise: I'm strongly oppose this! Better use the Editor first, because it gives you an image of the structure of a Patch. After that you assign your knobs you can tweak the sounds as much as you like.

And about the differences between the guitar and the synth, I just read a Dutch article about how the Swedish group ABBA by using synthesizers 'killed' the physical noise in music, specially the guitar. In my own thinking a guitar is more physical and able to express the emotions of the musician then a synthesizer is. Surely one can flame me for this statement. I don't mean one is better then the other; they just differ a bit Smile

Wout
babasynth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well.. I don't play the guitar or the synth very 'tradtionally' at all ... i like to create all kinds of live textures, including with the guitar, to compliment the song ... interestingly, i've had great songwriting/musical inspiration come from working on the synth... the way i use guitar and synth tend to compliment each other very well which for me has lead to amazing musical emotions! combine it with a 5 string cello and violin & it's pretty cool... i will check out the computer editing for the g2; but I really do like to start with a hands on kind of approach; it's often when I am messing something up that I find just what I was looking for ... anyway, I know how to use the Alesis Micron very well.. so I am looking for similar ways to use the g2, exploring what is possible... I know it's probably endless...
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
babasynth wrote:
... I want to get used to the synth first & learn it w/out the computer 1st..
To give you my advise: I'm strongly oppose this! Better use the Editor first, because it gives you an image of the structure of a Patch. After that you assign your knobs you can tweak the sounds as much as you like.

And about the differences between the guitar and the synth, I just read a Dutch article about how the Swedish group ABBA by using synthesizers 'killed' the physical noise in music, specially the guitar. In my own thinking a guitar is more physical and able to express the emotions of the musician then a synthesizer is. Surely one can flame me for this statement. I don't mean one is better then the other; they just differ a bit Smile

Wout

Sounds about right to me.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

babasynth wrote:
... ... anyway, I know how to use the Alesis Micron very well.. so I am looking for similar ways to use the g2, exploring what is possible... I know it's probably endless...
It's not endless if you don't want to use the Editor, though. In comparison with the Alesis Micron the G2 is in fact a complete empty synth. There are factory presets, but to know their structure you have to take a look inside and to find out what a particular parameter does. Later one will find out 'why' that parameter does what it is supposed to do. Your way is trying to play a guitar while it's still in the gig-bag Wink

Wout
babasynth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the info... while i know there are many ways of approaching music and learning.. honeslty, I'd say you shouldn't be so quick to judge my way of playing without even hearing it or really knowing what I am doing with the g2.. it works for me, and i'm in the process of learning more about the g2 each day.. i'm also a pro musician, so while it may seem to you that I'd don't know what i'm doing from my posts here; I do know some things! I'll be going in to the studio with this g2 and many other instruments very soon to cut a new record... i'll share some music when the album is ready.. best, D.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've known a few people who use your approach to synth programming over the years. It is a perfectly valid method and works well with fixed architecture synthesizers like the alesis. Some of those people often surprised me with amazing sounds.
The problem with the G2 is that exploring the knobs will get you familiar with only the patch that is loaded at the time. Each patch on the G2 is (or can be) a totally different synth, which is were it's true potential is.
Only the PC editor allows you to add modules and make connections but once you have built your new synth, you can assign any control to any knob and tweak without a PC.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

babasynth wrote:
thanks for the info... while i know there are many ways of approaching music and learning.. honeslty, I'd say you shouldn't be so quick to judge my way of playing without even hearing it or really knowing what I am doing with the g2.. it works for me, and i'm in the process of learning more about the g2 each day.. i'm also a pro musician, so while it may seem to you that I'd don't know what i'm doing from my posts here; I do know some things! I'll be going in to the studio with this g2 and many other instruments very soon to cut a new record... i'll share some music when the album is ready.. best, D.
I'm not trying to judge you, only warning you won't be using the G2 the best way. Another example: trying to play the guitar using a violin bow. It works, in a way, there is some sound, but the strings aren't attached to the guitar to be bowed... You will limit yourself.

In the G2 Editor there is a special tool you will surely like: the Patch Adjuster. It will show (let you hear) the sound possibilities of the loaded Patch, only, you have to work with the Editor to use it...

Your question is about 'basic instructions', isn't it? Opening the Editor is the first step.

And again, I didn't wrote anything about your music, so if you have bad feelings about that, I apologize for it. And surely I want to hear your music.

Wout
bbinkovitz

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a basic G2 question as well. How on Earth do you trigger the note sequencer to advance to the next step? The only way I have found to do it so far has been to add a click generator and then turn it on and off again by hand, advancing the sequencer one step each time it comes on. Not ideal!

TIA!

distro: http://paperisbad.com/
bbinkovitz

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, the click generator straight into the sequencer just started working by itself. I'll leave this up in case any other n00bs have the same question.
distro: http://paperisbad.com/
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right, too late Laughing but maybe some useful things still.

Basically with anything that changes signal level from zero or lower to above zero ...

When you want it to run a certain fixed BPM rate you'd typically use a clock generator module (from the LFO tab). But an LFO is usable as well, which would allow for speed modulation by changing the LFO rate. Some LFOs can be set to a BPM value as well.

When you highlight a sequencer module by clicking on it and then press F1 you'll get some basic info about how to patch with the sequencer module - when the help file is present in the application directory.

Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: