electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Bugs
G2 usb went bad!
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bootlegtrader

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: G2 usb went bad! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my g2x has been sitting on in my studio for the past 4 years, and treated like a baby. one day the computer would no longer recognized it. i tested, the cable, and tried reinstalling the software, and even a different computer. i took the thing in, and the "board went bad"... has this happened to anyone else?
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've never owned a G2, but I have been given a few pieces of equipment to fix where the USB connection suddenly is unrecognisable. And,... I haven't fixed any of them. I'm sure it would be a relatively straight forward fault for someone with high speed troubleshooting experience, and a good SMD soldering station, but that's not me.
The fact that these USB interfaces just die, seemingly of old age, quite young, and with no obvious reason, does make me quite curious. If anybody knows why this happens, I'd love to know what it is, and hopefully how to fix it. Very Happy

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, one thing I don't like much about USB, is that the interface/driver is built right on the chips that do the thinking. No extra interface, isolation, or "large" transistors involved. As such, this means small transistors are doing the work directly, and that also means they are much more sensitive to disasters like static electricity.

Never had a MIDI interface go bad, but it's also so damn slow. I'm guessing wireless usb, installed inside your device as soon as possible, so there's no external physical interface, is the safest thing to do in order to protect the longevity of your gear. That is, if USB is still around in 3 years...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: G2 usb went bad! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bootlegtrader wrote:
has this happened to anyone else?

Unfortunately yes, there are more reports about this, and the synth will have to be sent in for repair. Crying or Very sad

Per

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am one of the that hit this point. Years of connection without trouble, and the this!
I guess the repair man has to open the baby.
Per
gomidas

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am waiting since two months now, Clavia did take a very long time to give some tech spec to the repair guy....Now the repair shop is waiting for the usb component to estimate the price of the repair.IT IS A VERY LONG PROCESS Evil or Very Mad I'll probably have to wait 1or2 more months I guess.....That will be 4 months without my G2 Engine:::PAINFULL:::
I was about to buy another G2, but I will wait for the G3 Wink (with OSC ethernet port??)

Good Luck Guys
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gomidas wrote:
Now the repair shop is waiting for the usb component

Maybe you know ... is it a standard component or is it a Clavia specific thingie?

gomidas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like too...then I could repair my other engine if the usb goes bad.I'll tell you if I learn more details.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gomidas wrote:
[..]then I could repair my other engine if the usb goes bad.

Laughing yup that's exactly why I asked.

gomidas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

VERY VERY BAD NEWS Shocked Shocked

see by yourself

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

THE PRICE OF THE REPAIR IS THE PRICE OF THE G2 = 834€ Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I AM NOT GONNA PAY THAT !!!!!!!!!!

I WILL TRY TO USE MY G2 WITH THE PATCH ALREADY INSIDE AND USE SYSEX TO ASSIGN MIDI.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Last edited by gomidas on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, yes, that's pretty bad news ... maybe a bit weird as well to replace the whole board for a defect USB thingie? Maybe try to find an "unofficial" repair shop?
gomidas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have done the repair,with the GREAT help from Keysandslots! and I wanted to Thank him personally on this forum!THANKS! Wink ,I did replace my usb pcb port, but still no usb>pc/mac communication, the usb main printed circuit must have been damaged.
If this happens to other peoples maybe then Clavia could admit it is a manufacturing defect?But they didn't do it for me and simply send me a 800€ bill, so...G2 usb R.I.P Shocked
emeleia

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: please some help Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my computer no longer recognize my g2. I've tried with different cables, and different computers and, it's just like nothing were plugged in. has anyone found a solution to this. Or do i have to forget my g2??
sirsicksik

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: G2 stopped working
Subject description: G2 engine crashed and doesn't respond to audio, usb or midi
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My Nord modular G2 just broke down on me today.

Lately my computer was more and more frequently stating that it lost usb-contact with the modular. It didn't really happened on small patches, but rather big patches involving an internal midi routing.

Seeing that nothing is responding (no usb or midi input leds shining, no audio going through), but the midi-thru is still working, I hope it's still working somehow

It might be that the last time I saved a patch/performance, the save might have been corrupted and the engine is trying to load a corrupted file.

So I wondered if it's possible to give the nord modular a hard factory-reset from the machine itself?
sirsicksik

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: G2 stopped working2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also when trying to update the OS, the computer states that the modular ain't connected.
While the driver is installed and the device shows up in device manager when I switch it on..
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only thing I can think of for the engine is the little hole ... meant to stick in a thin pin, like the end of a bent paperclip. IIRC that is meant to force the engine into sowtware update mode though, and so probably not a reset thing ... but then again ... would a reset help here ... sounds like broken Confused
sirsicksik

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: no solution found yet... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've tried it on two computers, I've tried the manual update, but none of the computers seem to recogize the engine.. Sad
This is quite screwed up for me.. it's been the center piece of my setup for a decade.. I tried to get 'back-up' pieces, but I've been too late all the time (being sold within two hours..)
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Bugs
Jump to: