electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Opinions on Weed for music distribution?
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mnml

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Opinions on Weed for music distribution? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anybody make money with Weedshare?

Any experiences, comments? Is it too easy to hack to be practical?

Thanks

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Weed? Sharing? OK! But you guys will bring your own roach clips eh?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy
jkn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no idea what Weedshare is...
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jkn wrote:
I have no idea what Weedshare is...

http://www.weedshare.com/web/faq.html?src=home_topNav
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mnml

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: What Weed is..... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okayyyy...

Weed is a way to market music tracks. Weedshare.com encodes tracks in such a way that anybody can play them 3 times for free, but after that they have to pay Weedshare.com 99 cents (American) to unlock it. Weedshare keeps something like 15 percent.

But here's where it gets interesting... if the buyer then passes the file along to friends, and THEY pay for the track, the original buyer gets a percentage of subsequent sales too, down that particular 'branch' of ownership! Weedshare still makes their percentage, and the musician too.

So it's a multi-level marketing scheme where everybody has an economic incentive to pass the music around. Exactly what the RIAA (in the US) DOESN'T want you to do!

Of course there will be people who just download the music and crack the coding, and keep it. Musician and Weed get squat. Weedshare is betting that since you can get paid for passing the track around then you won't crack it.

This has been around for a few years. I'm wondering if anybody has made money off it, or if it's a good idea that falls on its ass in the real world.

The lack of response to my original question tells me nobody who reads this knows.

Or, prove me wrong!

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are probably right. Have you used Weed? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
play

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Weed is for yuppies.
aquanaut

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks like a good idea in theory but in practice i doubt it works. We all know somebody involves in this kind of business. Each time you talk to that person next thing you know IT is trying to sell something. Now it's going to be :
-You HAVE to listen to that track
-ok
-Do you LIKE it
-yes
-Buy it from ME
-“øπ∆˚˙∫ ¶∂™ª
paul e.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no one..well almost no one actually buys music anymore..not the CD..they will go see someone in concert..or by the t-shirts

but the actual music has become a loss-leader..a freebie to entice someone to buy your merchandise or live show

as soon as labels see that, we will all be in a better place

Lily

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: WEED Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi y'all,

While surfin' I came across this board and read your questions and remarks.

Lemme introduce myself first:
I'm Lily and I'm the webmistress of Sananda Maitreya.
Sananda uses Weed to spread his new songs of his coming album "Angels & Vampires".
If you recently went to www.weedshare.com you could see that the 3 songs of his Chapter 1 are all 3 at the TOP 100 of Weed.
Since the other week he tops the weekly TOP 10 too with the 3 songs of Chapter 2 which are just released.

Mnml, you said that this system is there for years already, that's not correct, Weedshare started in December 2003, so actually it's pretty new.

All new things take some time to kick in but Weed is getting more and more attention Smile

See for instance the article from Reuters/Hollywood Reporter from 3 days ago, which made it all over the web, incl Yahoo news:
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=musicNews&storyID=6062360

Indeed, if anybody would crack it they loose the great aspect of making money themselves by sharing it in any means possible, like sharing through P2P programs or put it up at your own site.

The "Industry" is sueing people and wants to shut down file-sharing, Weed's philosofy is the opposite and rewards all who share files plus it respects fully the rights of the artists & publishers.

I'm sure many more artists will find their way to Weed sooner or later.
Sananda spreads his music since last May and in July also Heart joined with Weed with a full album and an exclusive track only available through Weed. Their album even was sold more over Weed than over iTunes and that must tell you something huh Wink

Anywayz, thought to tell you a little more about Weed.

If you wanna listen freely to Sananda's newest songs, here they are:
www.sanandamaitreya.com/angels_&_vampires/the_songs/chapter2.html

Enjoy listening and join Weed! You have nothing to loose but all to gain! Laughing

Musical Greetingz,
Lily
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Lily, thanks for joining up and sharing your thoughts and experience with us.
Lily

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the welcome! Very Happy

Lily
mnml

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, it's nice to see an intelligent check-in....

I was misled into believing that weedshare was older than it is by someone who may have been mistaken.

it would seem that the weedshare thing is still very new, and few people have experience with it.

After just a few weeks the weed page on my site has proved to be VERY popular (ahh, the lure of free musik) ... but the question always remains:
"will they actually buy, or are they just sniffing around?"

time will tell.

oh, here's a sample of what I do, in weed format of course ---

-weed-mnml-presto!.wma
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  -weed-mnml-presto!.wma
 Filesize:  9.15 MB
 Downloaded:  216 Time(s)

Lily

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanx mnml and I just downloaded your music, I will listen to it tomorrow as it's about 4am overhere Smile

Sure it will be downloaded more then bought, people always have the choice of course not to buy it. The more you're promoting it, the more visitors anyway, so more people will hear and/or buy it.

BTW since today a new forum like this one is born (besides the Yahoo-groups) especially for Weedfiles where you also can promote your new songs:
http://dogbitemusic.net/phpBB2/forums.html

Do you have a blog already? If not, I highly recommend it!
Just let all possible ways lead to Rome! Mr. Green

Love
Lily
mnml

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

blog, schmog!

Got my own website... it has a Google pagerank of *5* and has enough of my music, news and opinions to make you cross-eyed. if that ain't enough then go read a phonebook.

it's the mnml.soulcatcher.net site that's stuck to the bottom of these posts.

thanks for all the tips and info, thanks for downloading my track, hope your ear-drums don't get too fried!!

and give peace a chance today, OK?

Leisure-B

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trying it now....
Lily

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I always give peace a change dear Smile

Well, my ear-drums didn't get fried as I had to turn the volume down coz otherwise it would have fried my total being. Laughing
It was indeed a little too heavy for my system to deal with.

Btw I pointed to blogging as that's just a great way to get picked up by all kinds of news-feeds, just to spread your message and site further Wink

Love
Lily
trash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well in my opinion weed is pretty good for music..
i dont like sharing it so much though...
all those social graces ...
i prefer to overlook them personally...

xxx

p.s. i find it quite hard to arrange my tracks when im stoned
p.p.s. i find it very easy to make stupid noises when im stoned

duh
trash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oops really sorry made a mistake
i thought you were talking about something else
distribution is another matter...
i had a paper round once
and if i smoked before that
it would tend to increase the tedium somewhat
i cant imagine what it would be like delivering thousands of records

xxx

duh
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure sure sure.

First it's Weed, then you move to the big stuff...Real, Apple, sooner or later you'll be on Epic. Yep, Weed always was the gateway drug.
Lily

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well actually Sananda turned his back to the "big stuff" a few years ago and the indies all together are rising more and more Smile already over 25% of the total musicbiz now and that will only be a growing evolution. Certainly as long as those corporates keep treating artists & their rights like sh*t, they get back what they've been asking for.
What goes around comes around......in other words....that's Karma.
trash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is there a place you can go to get off 'weed'?
anyway heres me drinking to that
DEATH TO THE CORPORATIONS!
in all forms not just music !!

whooo haaaaa Cool

duh
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, Trash, come live in the USA. The corporations are dying by themselves.
Page 1 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: