electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
SDS3 Single Voice PCB Run
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 9 of 10 [245 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The project seems death Sad
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am not able to contribute much these days. however, anyone could chime in any time...
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
i am not able to contribute much these days. however, anyone could chime in any time...
Sad
fonik , the cct works from what i gather from previous posts
concern is only noise issue on the bread boarded cct

unfortuantly i don't use eagle to design boards in , so i fear that i may be of little help as i would be starting from near scratch with that program and also have few hours available. would eagle light be ok. ? if not i would probably have to redo it in my normal program , I may be able to find some time near the end of january and finances should improve a bit by then, but can make no promises. if you think this is ok send me what info you can, and i will give it a go.
cheers
denis
mono-poly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surprised
fonik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i actually handed over all i've done so far to sciptstyle. he will get even my proto PCB (maybe it is of some use).

the eagle files are too large for a light version.

scriptstyle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have had a little extra time over the past few days, i was able to compare the old schemo to the new. just about all seems in order so far.

patiently awaiting the proto board now, im off work till after the new year so i am hoping to move this project along over the next month.
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
i actually handed over all i've done so far to sciptstyle. he will get even my proto PCB (maybe it is of some use).

the eagle files are too large for a light version.

ok that is very good news Very Happy
yes i thought that might be the case the light version is very limited,
lucky then that scriptstyle will do this, i would have taken a lot more
time.
denis.
fonik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello scriptstye, check PM.
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A little update, I received the board a few days ago, and as of now it's wired up on my desk making sounds. I haven't had much time with it yet but it seems like we should have a pcb run coming in 2010 Cool

Im going to be real busy over the next few days with my 2 special ladies. So hopefully I will have more news next week.

Happy holidays!
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

scriptstyle wrote:
A little update, I received the board a few days ago, and as of now it's wired up on my desk making sounds.

useful sounds, i hope? anyways, great news. i am looking forward to hear about your work on the proto...

Quote:
Im going to be real busy over the next few days with my 2 special ladies. So hopefully I will have more news next week.

Happy holidays!

have fun!

Dego

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good x-mas news!
mono-poly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

scriptstyle wrote:
A little update, I received the board a few days ago, and as of now it's wired up on my desk making sounds. I haven't had much time with it yet but it seems like we should have a pcb run coming in 2010 Cool

Happy holidays!

Very Happy awesome!
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok so i have had some time to test this. i have a few questions for anyone who has owned the original sds3. or has knowledge of using ladder filters as oscillators.

the noise to tone control, was this control very touchy? as of now the noise sounds great but a 1/4 of the way towards tone it goes into this death bass then straight into very high pitched rough pulsations. my understanding is that the tone is derived from a ladder filter, i have been reading the old thread when Randaleem was working on a pcb. he mentioned
Quote:
But there's a problem with this two-timing,(Isn't there always!) and it's that we have to choose to emphasize EITHER tone or filter, and as we move towards one end of the frequency scale or the other we can only get what' left at that end as the filter has done away with the rest!

So our filter plays VCO and goes into oscillation to give us tone, and the AR EG sends the filters center/cutoff frequency up or down on attack to take care of both head stretch and stick impact. As long as we're in Toms, or Bass we're okay. Try to get a snare sound? As you increase toward noise with the filter, now we don't have any tone and cannot sharpen the filter response enough to get any click!

on the original schematic there is a side note about noise bleed through, i tried this and it just made things worse.

i also discovered that the sds3 has been successfully cloned already.(so it must be possible) Laughing
http://simmonsmuseum.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/analog-bbq/

the original cct doc: http://www.simmons.synth.net/sds34/docs/sds_3_service_scoops.pdf

my most recent effort has been tracing the signal before and after the filter. it seems that i am getting this signal before Q1-bc557
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
honestly i would think that this would be good for a drum module? after Q1 and Q2 noise appears.? once this signal has gone through the ladder and out IC3 i am getting this signal on PIN1 of IC3.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
this is a harsh output.

also im wondering what exactly did the pitch control do? i am expecting it to change the timbre. but it seems to react to the lfo only(in a gating manor)???

i can clearly see that this module has great potential.
garret
mono-poly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good to see you back on it.
Hopefully someone can answer your questions.
I think Lars got the sds4 if i'm right.

What i like about the sds3 clone on the page is that it got the modulator already build in.
mono-poly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been in cotact with Michael who designed the clone in the last post.
He is working on the design a little more and it seems he is gonna share it here with us.
mono-poly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And i got another email from Michael and this gives good hope.

One channel needs three boards: The reason is, that the cymbals have another sound source and the envelope generator is also used in other projects. And: To search a fault is much easier. I like the design with the pots fixing the whole thing to the front panel.
Also the newest version needs three boards: The moog filter on board 1, the envelope and VCA on board 2 and noise generator and LFO on board 3. To be flexible, the RUN generator is also on an extra board.

1_Channel_SDS3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.46 KB
 Viewed:  208 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

1_Channel_SDS3.JPG

scriptstyle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is good news i am a bit fed up troubleshooting this. last night i spent 3hours trying to minimize LFO bleed through. Mad
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm hoping this project will come up again in 2010. There's obviously tons of drum synth projects around, but I haven't found one that suits me yet. Seems like many are super simple, and without noise source/modulation (coron, cgs drum sim) or quite a bit more complicated than what I like (clangora, mega, cynare).

I have an old broken down Synare that I really love, but I've repaired it so many times that it's just too fragile to play now. Would like something similar to replace it, without having to spend $300-$400 on a new one.

I also like that this clone uses a filter for it's osc/sound source; In my experience sine waves create the punchiest percussion sounds
mono-poly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll visit my technican this friday and ask him to build the proto boards i got.
After that i havet to ask the guy who started this to do a run of pcb's here.
TekniK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mono-poly wrote:
I'll visit my technican this friday and ask him to build the proto boards i got.
After that i havet to ask the guy who started this to do a run of pcb's here.

its confusing when u mix up 2 projects in one topic,maybe just start another one.
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

we are still talking about a SDS3 PCB, i would think.
TekniK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
we are still talking about a SDS3 PCB, i would think.

I can't follow, i read that there is some guy working on 'some 'clone' project ,consisted of 3 boards and with a 'moog' filter into it.

and seem another guy is still concentrate his efforts on the first real clone all on one board project that this topic started with.

So its 2 different projects or am i wrong and both guys work together?
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think you're right. i missed scriptstyles post... Embarassed
mono-poly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 3 boards is the sds3 circuit with some minor changes.
And yes the moog vcf as oscilator just like the real sds3.

All other atemps to clone the unit basicly died.
TekniK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mono-poly wrote:
The 3 boards is the sds3 circuit with some minor changes.
And yes the moog vcf as oscilator just like the real sds3.

All other atempts to clone the unit basicly died.

Ok,is there a plan all will be merged onto 1 pcb?

Can't immagine if u have to built an 6 channel unit with all those little pcb's,6x3 (or 4 if i did read well) pcb's,also cost would be much much higher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 9 of 10 [245 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: