electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
SDS3 Single Voice PCB Run
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 10 [245 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
bubblechamber

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: SDS3 Single Voice PCB Run Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks like there is a fair amount of interest in a run of professionally produced PCB for the SDS3 project. Here is an outline of this project:

This is a single voice of the SDS3. Each voice card will have both noise and an LFO on each card.

This is an accurate clone going off the original schematics. There are no substitutions or changes, other than allowing a little more flexibility in the modulation and noise routing.

There will be an external Noise and LFO input per card. This way you can use a single noise genterator and a single LFO from one PCB for the rest of your SDS3 voices. This will allow it to work as the original did, with a single noise generator and LFO shared among all the voices.

The PCB will be around 100mm x 100mm, small enough to fit into a eurorack panel, and Frac too, i think. someone might want to clear up the clearence between the rails of a frac case. i think it's around 4.5 inches, but i could be wrong.

there are no PCB mounted jacks, pots or switches.

right now we're looking at around $8US/PCB,but that can change as the orders increase.

I'll be going through MyroPCB, I've dealt with them several times. They do great work, it's pretty fast and reasonable.

Soldermasks can be any color we want, within reason, so your suggestions are welcome.

I've pretty much finished the initial layout, I will be spending the next week or 2 checking it over and etching a couple of prototypes. I'll post the progress and samples as I get it done.

Once I get this finalized I will be posting a P'nP layout and docs in the PCB section for anyone that wants to roll their own.

I'm looking to get the layout finished, tested and ordered by middle September, so we're looking at early October for shipping.

If anyone has an SDS3 and would like to help with the Beta phase of this project, please get in touch with me.

I'm sure i'm leaving lots out here, if there are any questions feel free to contact me directly or post them here. I'm really looking forward to this and i'm very grateful to all of the members here who have gently reminded me to get on this when I got a little distracted at the beginning of this project.

david

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

holla hopsasa! that's great news. i had no idea you're so far in the process. wonderful.
so i am definitely in for four (4!) PCBs.

bugfight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

in for 4
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At that price, I would be in for 4 as well.
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for doing this- you know I need four.

BTW, I wanted to publicly thank David for being a good trader- we've been doing a little work and also exchanging parts- thanks for the opportunity and for the zero ohm "jumper" pack, the trannies, resistors, etching education, etc.

People are going to want to pay attention...'nuff said.

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow. 4 for me, please & thank you!

bbob

ENDIF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be in for 2 at that price.

http://www.endif.org
http://www.crunchpod.com
http://www.myspace.com/endif
Floppy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4 for me please.
Luka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2 please

i was going to pnp, but i guess it is'nt that much more expensive.

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
mono-poly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

8 please.
And i will try to get a picture off the sds3 front.
b-funk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´m in with 4 pcbs Very Happy
Coriolis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yesss!

If I can in any way afford it when they are ready, I'm in for some boards, but if not, I'd sure love to do a pnp later instead.

Thanks for doing this!

C

austrohungaro

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4 please.
color? white!
Dego

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will take 4. Smile

I think white would be nice as well! Smile
dar303

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I pray to the mighty God Of The Giant Backlog to forgive me...

i'm in for 2! Smile
Statick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi, i posted on the other SDS thread as well

i'll take 4 of the PCBs

i also have a real SDS 3 sitting here but i may have to give it back in a few days.
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coriolis wrote:
If I can in any way afford it when they are ready, I'm in for some boards, but if not, I'd sure love to do a pnp later instead.

C,

you might want to do the math on the real cost of etching your own PCBs. between the pnp film, bare board, etching chemicals, drillbit wear/breakage... and even assuming that your time has no value, i'd be surprised if you actually saved much doing your own.

unless, ov course, you can repurpose all that stuff from work...

b

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Must have 4.

Thanks for all the work on this!

bruce
mono-poly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah thanks so much!
Ilanode

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in for 2. Thanks!
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At $8/pcb or cheaper, count me in for 4 as well! Very Happy Thanks for all of the work!
Coriolis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
between the pnp film, bare board, etching chemicals

Well, let me put it this way: I have all of the above materials in stock, and NO money, NO job right now, so time is...plentiful Wink

But yeah, with just a little bit of cash on my hands, those boards are better bought than home-etched!

C

asafnetzer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm In for 4 pcb's
Thanks again
Asaf
stijn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great work man! I want 4 please.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At $8, I'm in for 4. Fantastic
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 10 [245 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: