electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
The DoubleDeka Ultrasonic VCO
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 6 [145 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
doctorvague

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
doctorvague wrote:
Am I stretching it asking for some FM demos, though??

Good point. I'll try to do some FM experiments. I have a brief demo using the DRM input for bell-like sounds, but they are a bit rough (like what you usually get from an XOR modulator). The main limitation now is that I only have one DD built up (I used the old original for the four-voice sounds) so I'll need another one to do the critical test you're suggesting.

I forgot you'd need 2 and probably only had 1 prototype Smile

frijitz wrote:
Quote:
Would there ever be any possibility of bussing the inputs to make, say 4 DoubleDeka's that all utilize the same bank of sliders?

Not easily. The sliders hang right off the counter chips, so you would need to somehow insert a summing circuit in between. Or use a bank of VCAs to combine counter outputs. Quite outside the scope of the current module, but definitely something to think about.

Very Happy

Ian

Yeah, I kind of deduced that wouldn't be possible after I reread the thread later. Still an interesting idea from a musical and interface perspective even if it's impractical to implement. Also thought of voltage control of the 10 sliders but I don't think I have 10 CV sources anyway Smile Agan, nice idea but probably not practical from couple of different perspectives.
Again thanks so much for this work, Ian! If the FM works like I think it will I really am thinking of building 4 of these.

Cheers
Phil

3vcos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so when will mr. bridechamber have these in stock? gotta get me some of that. ...bom?

thanx
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

when will we know if there are going to be panels made for this??? or at least a mini panel for the sliders that could be mounted into a hole on one's personal panel. It would seem that you would SELL a lot more of the pcbs if there were, as many of us on here might be scared off by the thought of having to drill holes for the sliders.

even a Front Panel Design file would help as then i might be able to get one of my friends with a CNC machine to take a swing at it. but in general, sliders make me scared.

however, the picture on the bridechamber page looks awesome! and the sounds speak for themselves.

cant wait!

3vcos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loss1234 wrote:
when will we know if there are going to be panels made for this??? the picture on the bridechamber page looks awesome!

+1
ENDIF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yes. Bridechamber has a sale here for sure...

http://www.endif.org
http://www.crunchpod.com
http://www.myspace.com/endif
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loss1234 wrote:
when will we know if there are going to be panels made for this???

Oh yes, this is definitely happening. There has been some delay with the metal shop, but a first test panel has been made and the final mechanical design is being tweaked. The boards have been tested and will be ordered as soon as the panels are close to being ready.

Very Happy

Ian
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ian-this is such good news!!

this is going to be a good year for synthesis!

bridechamber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wowza! Last time I checked there were only a couple posts!
Shocked

That's great! I'm riding my metal guys like ponies on this one. The first panel sample had slots a tiny bit too short, which truncated the slider travel.
I'll get a new sample this week, while they order the $300 punch I'll need.
After that's here, they'll have the design w/ a "rush" on it, so I hope to have them punched, painted and silkscreened in three weeks.
I'm tryin'...
Very Happy

I'm having a hard time waiting too, believe me!

Scott @ Bridechamber
Ilanode

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hope there'll be PCBs and sliders available without frontpanel. If so any guess when will they be ready to ship? Price tag?
bridechamber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okley dokley, I think I've got a general timeline and price. I hope to start shipping in October. Since this project will have a hefty up-front cash commitment, and I have a baby on the way this month, I'm taking pre-orders at approximately 10% off. Check it out @
http://www.bridechamber.com/bridechamber.com/DD%20Tease.html

But you can feel free to wait, of course. We'll have plenty.

G'night,
Scott @ bridechamber
bugfight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wallet... weak...
queue, long....
must... resist...

losing...

consiousness...
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: The DoubleDeka Ultrasonic VCO Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds neat, Scott, although it caused an interesting moment at my house. I'm checking out the preview on your site, when my wife asks me what I'm doing. My answer: "Oh, I'm looking at the 'Double D Tease' on Bridechamber dot com."

Why the hell do I say these things!? Wink

(because they're funny as hell, but mostly later)

Tim (I can run fast when my survival depends on it) Servo
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Question- The two decks are each based upon division of the core, right? Are they both octave-based, and if so, might it be possible to do an odd number division on one of them, say 7 instead of 12, to produce harmonics out of the series?

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
Ilanode

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Full Kit includes a panel right? How much it is without one?

However, I've to postpone this project anyway Sad
bridechamber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure, kits without panels are fine. The panels will be $60, so you can just take that off the top. You can do that w/ anything at Bridechamber; we're easy.

I love the Double-D tale, Tim!
: )

And you shouldn't have to worry about any queue. Once they're here, there shouldn't be much of a delay in getting them out the door, and we're ordering plenty of PCBs and plenty of panels (which is why we're doing the presale).

Cheers,
Scott
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think ive asked before, but maybe i missed the answer.

based on the picture and previous posts, it looks like there's one HF oscillator core, and 2 waveform shapers (the sliders and associated circuitry). it sounds like there's a PCB for the osc core and separate board(s) for the sliders. since i'm building in frac format, stacking the 2 slider banks vertically will not be possible for me. is there a single carrier board for both banks of sliders? or is there one for each bank, so i could mount them side-by-side rather than vertically??

related: do the slider board(s) have additional summing circuitry, or do they just carry the pots? in other words, if i do have to forgo pcb mounting the pots (for whatever reason), will i be able to wire the waveform shapers directly to the HF board? or will i still need to use the slider carrier board?

anxious to place my order, pending this info.

bbob

bugfight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bridechamber wrote:

And you shouldn't have to worry about any queue.

hehe, the queue is right here in my shop...
(partly due to stuff from you i already ordered)
sorry for the misunderstanding.

barely resisting preordering...
frijitz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
Question- The two decks are each based upon division of the core, right? Are they both octave-based, and if so, might it be possible to do an odd number division on one of them, say 7 instead of 12, to produce harmonics out of the series?

Good question. Similar to a previous question about using the unit as a sequencer.

The way the division works is this: First the pulse train is divided by a selectable number of octaves. This octave division is done by a ripple counter (cascaded divide-by-two stages). The resultant pulse train then is feed to a divide-by-ten counter. Each output stage of this counter drives one of the sliders. I believe the divide-by-ten counter could be reset early to make a shorter sequence. The only catch is that the sync circuit also uses the reset line, so one would have to add an OR gate at the reset input. (Or one could probably just feed the selected stage back to the Sync input.)

The pulse train of the core is being made available at the panel, so other divisor schemes could be fed from that.

Very Happy

Ian
frijitz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbob wrote:
based on the picture and previous posts, it looks like there's one HF oscillator core, and 2 waveform shapers (the sliders and associated circuitry). it sounds like there's a PCB for the osc core and separate board(s) for the sliders. since i'm building in frac format, stacking the 2 slider banks vertically will not be possible for me. is there a single carrier board for both banks of sliders? or is there one for each bank, so i could mount them side-by-side rather than vertically??

There is one board that carries all 20 sliders.

Quote:
related: do the slider board(s) have additional summing circuitry, or do they just carry the pots? in other words, if i do have to forgo pcb mounting the pots (for whatever reason), will i be able to wire the waveform shapers directly to the HF board? or will i still need to use the slider carrier board?

The slider board carries the divide-by-ten counters that drive the sliders. It is done that way to avoid having to connect wires to all the sliders. It also carries the summing diodes that combine the individual pulses. So only a few wires have to be connected to the slider board.

If you want to do some surgery, you could probably chop the board in two to separate the second set of sliders. You would have to very carefully add wires to connect the two halves.

Another option would be to use the board as is, but run wires to all the sliders. You would need to jig up a mounting scheme, though, as there are no mounting holes on the board.

I would like to eventually make this up for another panel format, but there are no definitive plans yet.

Very Happy

Ian
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The price for the kit - for me, uh oh. Surprised (I just blew all my avail. funding on a new synth and patch bay.)

Bridechamber - would the PCBs by themselves, be available for sale? If so - how much?
frijitz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: More demos! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are some new DD demos.

A1: "Harmonic Sync" A few seconds of the unsynced sequence, then the sync master is plugged in, then the sliders are shoved around.

B1: "Anharmonic Sync" Truly hideous sounds, with a brief respite when switched over to "Harmonic" mode and back. Again, with different slider positions.

C1: "FM" Similar to other VCOs. The ADAR EG is used, with different settings of Mono Width and Decay Time.

D1: "DRM" The digital ring modulation input used to make some bell sounds.

Very Happy

Ian

dem_A1.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dem_A1.mp3
 Filesize:  973.19 KB
 Downloaded:  1380 Time(s)

dem_B1.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dem_B1.mp3
 Filesize:  494.41 KB
 Downloaded:  1402 Time(s)

dem_C1.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dem_C1.mp3
 Filesize:  604.62 KB
 Downloaded:  1453 Time(s)

dem_D1.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dem_D1.mp3
 Filesize:  343.39 KB
 Downloaded:  1388 Time(s)

bridechamber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard -- Sure the PCBs can be purchased by themselves. I just ordered them, and they're not cheap, unfortunately. The set of two will run $65!

Ian -- nice demos! I'll definitely need to "accidentally" scratch a panel or two, so that I have an excuse to keep them.
: )

Cheers,
Scott
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bridechamber wrote:
Rykhaard -- Sure the PCBs can be purchased by themselves. I just ordered them, and they're not cheap, unfortunately. The set of two will run $65!

Cheers,
Scott

Hey! THAT I can handle! Thanks for the info. Scott! Smile
machine.cuisine

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Man, that "truly hideous" demo has me sold - sounds like tuned feedback or something. kinda like a DSI evolver.

Only problem I see with this thing is its size and cost...I use Frac Rack format, and this thing would take up at least half a rack....and the panel sliders?

Is MOTM the only panel format planned on being offered by Bridechamber?
frijitz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

machine.cuisine wrote:
Is MOTM the only panel format planned on being offered by Bridechamber?

At this point it is the only one planned. I would eventually like to see some kind of small format offer and will be exploring some possible options.

Very Happy

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 6 [145 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: