electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
OSX editor frustration
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
shavers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: OSX editor frustration Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally got my G2 only to find that the version of OSX on my dual boot powerbook [v10.1] wont open the installer!!
It's an old OS but I wanted to use this old laptop solely as the G2's editor.

I know it's a bit off topic but do any mac users know where I can pick up a newer version of osx for cheap/free? Any suggestions?
Also, how would I go about installing this as one of the OSs on a dual boot system?

cheers, s.

p.s. dope site
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to electro-music.com, Shavers.

I don't know where to get OSX releases. Just wanted to say hi...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. unless you pay for the current retail version ( 10.3.4 ), you will have to turn to piracy using bittorrent ot whatever.

Dual boot? As in 2 partitions and different OSes on each partition.. or do you mean that X/Classic install..
If you have 10.1 on that box.. you really should go 10.3.4

recommended

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes the 10.1/9.2.2 combo needs to be updated...10.1 is not supported well by 3rd party manufacturers
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

10.1 sucks, up from 10.23 it started working, so if you dont want to go to panther (10.3+) you should at least update to 10.28
On my machine ( a 1gigaHz Titanium) panther is much faster than yaguar..
Tiger is coming soon...but i am not sure if a fat tiger will be good for older macs...
we will see
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Certain updaters are on the apple side www.apple.com
But they dont offer the main installers there you need a 10.2 or 10.3 installer disk and than you use the updaters from the apple side...
For your system you only find an update to 10.15 on the apple side...probably not enough
Copys of installers from your neighbours usually do the job if its a general installer and not a modellspecific one.
Installing on a dualboot system can cause troubles...depends a bit on the configuration.
Safest thing is like allways to have a clean install...wiped harddisk, than OSX...afterwards the os9 install...
If you really just want to run the editor, a plain osx update probably does the job...
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. you will need the 10.2 or 10.3 CD sets. Alternatively, you can "get" the same.. in the form of .dmg, .toast or other kinds of image files. If you get these.. then you can burn your own set. It is not possible to install from the image files even if these are mounted. Do not even try. Generally, you can risk "hurting" the image files if you mount them.. so mounting is absolutely uncool. You may end up with unbootable disks and will have to download these one more time.

Of course.. if you have a buddy who makes a .dmg... bootable.. of a partition with 10.3.x .. you can use a wide range of tools in order to transfer the contents of this .dmg file to your machine. Warning...! If you do not know what you are doing... then donĀ“t.

There are many options really... you can even do network installation from a file on an http or ftp server. ..but in essence.. this is not something you should mess around with unless you are very into these things.

Dragging the visible files system files to a disk will not leave you with a working OS X system.

I recommend buying the 10.3 set.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 10.2 and 10.3 installers will leave you with a universal OS X system which will boot and run most OS X compatible Apple computers.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
shavers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey,
Thanks for the welcome and the advice!
Yes, by dual boot I did mean osx/os9 on seperate partitions : selectable os/startup disk.
Would love to do a complete fresh install of panther/tiger(when it's available), but I still need to run OS9 on one partition of this powerbook (over 2000 Supercollider 2 patches that I still use).
I bought an ibook recently, so I can run the G2 editor in the meantime but it would be better with that 15" screen.

thanks again, s.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok.. I see. Well.. I kinda do the same. I still use Cubase 5.2 VST32. Very very smart to run OS 9.2.2 from a clean partition.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
shavers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Elektro80.
You mentioned that these dmg files might be sitting on a ftp server. Is there one you could point me to? Limewire is quite dicey for this sort of thing - Lots of versions of the same file, but all different sizes!

I reckon I can justify this temporary solution as I'll get a multiple license for Tiger somewhere down the line. And like I said, it's only to run the G2 editor.

Sorry for going way off topic with this, s.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes... well.. or an NFS volume or over HTTP. But.. sorry.. the only stuff I have up are my network install images here at work. For obvious reasons I cannot share their location and login info. Installing over http ... approx 2.8 gig.. is not that fun really.. I run a gigbit ethernet here.. but I do not have a gigabit internet connection.. Very Happy

And.. the licensing.. you know.. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: