electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
super simple 40106 VCO with expo or linear control
Page 1 of 4 [77 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: super simple 40106 VCO with expo or linear control
Subject description: Only uses one gate and it runs on DC or bipolar power
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Be sure to read the notes! ;D

40106vco.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.86 KB
 Viewed:  20651 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

40106vco.png

synthmonger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Err there's an error in the schematic. The linear cv should be +9 volt not +12. It'll work on 12 but you'll have to change some values I'm sure.
slabman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Nice! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for sharing this. Looks like a great way to munge together a Weird Sound Generator with a Soundlab.
synthmonger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bunch more uses of the 40106 on the way.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthmonger wrote:
bunch more uses of the 40106 on the way.

Even more uses for the 25 that I recently bought? Smile Thanks Ray Wilson for influencing me on this chip! Very Happy

Can't wait to get finished moving my studio around, so that I can get back to experiments for the Liquid Hihat and new experiments with the CD40106! Smile
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i bread boarded this up the other day on 5v. and got nothing i think im going to try and knock down the 1m's to 100k and see what happens? excited to get a tri out of a 40106 though!!
synthmonger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was using 9V and 12V. Not sure if 5V will work.

The linear portion really isn't linear and only have a range of a couple volts. Make sure you're connections and transistors are facing the right way, I'm 100% certain this works.
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

got it going i had a 2n reversed. very cool thanks!!
synthmonger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Remove C1 and add trim pot on the negative end of the manual voltage control to get a high frequency vco.
Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is there any chance of getting exponential control with single supply psu?
http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
synthmonger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pehr wrote:
is there any chance of getting exponential control with single supply psu?

Still working on that. I tried using an expo the way fonik did in his wasp edp but no luck.
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok so I looking at this cuircuit again the other day. On a 5v supply I changed r1 to 10m, and c1 needs to be atleast .22uf. Now I was using a .22uf Mylar cause it was the biggest I had on hand. This gave me a frequency of about 1.6k hz. I wanted more freq I tried a 1uf electro and the top end of the ramp rounds out? Is this because the electro cap? I'm going to be making a local run to a shop that has polystyrene caps in higher numbers. Maybe this is what I need...
synthmonger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

scriptstyle wrote:
Ok so I looking at this cuircuit again the other day. On a 5v supply I changed r1 to 10m, and c1 needs to be atleast .22uf. Now I was using a .22uf Mylar cause it was the biggest I had on hand. This gave me a frequency of about 1.6k hz. I wanted more freq I tried a 1uf electro and the top end of the ramp rounds out? Is this because the electro cap? I'm going to be making a local run to a shop that has polystyrene caps in higher numbers. Maybe this is what I need...

I haven't tested this on a 5V supply to be honest with ya. If I can find some time later I will test it out. A bit busy building a 100% lunetta vco right now.

What application are you using it for?
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm building my lunetta almost as like a 5v CMOS learning lab. I should prototyping cause nothing has made it off the breadboard or off cardboard yet. I may re concider 12v? Idk....
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

scriptstyle wrote:
I'm building my lunetta almost as like a 5v CMOS learning lab. I should prototyping cause nothing has made it off the breadboard or off cardboard yet. I may re concider 12v? Idk....

My Lunetta ..... monster, is so far running beautifully from +/-9VDC. Smile
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So ryk you are using 9v? Synthmonger is using 12v. I honestly thought you where using 12v also. I keep hearing using 12v will make of easier to intergreat to my modular. But what iwas thinking was that. I will have any easier time seeing what the CMOS is doing on 5v?
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Something occured to me just now while reading the thread you just started about using a 4007's gates. This is my secound time working with this schematic and the last time I remember geting a good range of osc with a cap around 1n, but like I mentioned earlier ihad no such luck this time. Just high freq osc. Then I remembered I did have a pullup resistor before c1 the first time around. Should that make the difference?
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

scriptstyle wrote:
So ryk you are using 9v? Synthmonger is using 12v. I honestly thought you where using 12v also. I keep hearing using 12v will make of easier to intergreat to my modular. But what iwas thinking was that. I will have any easier time seeing what the CMOS is doing on 5v?

The most important thing to me for running my machine, were the ability to run it from batteries as well. That, ruled out running my machine from +/-15V.

Also, the voltage limit for CMOS chips, depending on the chip type is +18 or +20V.

So - to make sure that I could run all of the CMOS chips that I would be using, I thought it better to operate the system on the +18 / 2 voltage, or +/- 9VDC. I just happened to have 7809 and 7909 1 amp voltage regulators that I had purchased in the early 90's as well. Smile

That, will allow me to run my system from 2 x 12V batteries hooked up in the +/- format, as well as interface to my modular's +/- 15V, as long as I don't let anything higher or lower than 9V into my Lunetta machine.

I've been doing ok so far. Smile
ashaxx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: vco Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry for such an amatuer question here but is the Circled A the audio out?
jean-louise

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: vco Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ashaxx wrote:
sorry for such an amatuer question here but is the Circled A the audio out?

no, i think it's just the point where either the linear or expo CV input are connected to the circuit
jan
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah that's right it's just the point where you connect either of the converters. The audio out is the "Falling ramp out".
You could technically use point A as an audio out providing that what ever you connected it to had a high input impedance, otherwise it would load the input of the inverter and stop it oscillating. That's basically what Q3 is already doing in the circuit.
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I boarded one of these and it's really great. thanks for posting a schematic. I enjoy your circuits, synthmonger.
synthmonger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way, use an op-amp buffer on the 'sawtooth' output. 4069 inverter gates would probably do the trick too. This gives it better if not perfect symmetry.
synthmonger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh and if ya plan to build multiple VCOs out of one chip I'd limit it to a max of 4 so they won't bleedthrough/modulate each other. Keep the middle inverters grounded.

I like to stick with two VCOs in a single chip. I use three inverters wired in series with the first two for the sync input and the last one as the vco core.

Oh and I found a neat way of getting 1-100% PWM using 3 gates. It sounds pretty different than you're typical op-amp pwm configuration.

...I should spend some time posting schematics for these...

Psyingo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes please, moar schematics!
Page 1 of 4 [77 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: