electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Resonant Lopass Gate PCB's (New Batch 4/29/12)
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 38 [927 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 36, 37, 38 Next
BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If the double happens will the height of the board and position of the pots allow for fitting it into a Frac Rack? The space between the rails is 4.25".

Also, you might be able to run traces on the PCB so that people can choose which board mounted pot does what by soldering in jumpers. I think that was done on the 281 boards.

Thanks
mark_a

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi, if another run happens or if there are any left over i'd like 2 boards please.
djthomaswhite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Latest news Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay,

After much though, these will stay single boards... I know this may be sad for some, but it is what I agreed upon with Don. The cost for a larger board (based on total inches) went up as well. Hey, it's a lot of FR-4 more than these small boards. The circuit and schematics are freely available if you'd like to make your own double or quadruple boards. I can post the Express PCB file if anyone is interested in that. I wouldn't feel right going out of the boundaries Don agreed to. You have to understand, this man, a true legendary designer, gave me permission to make the run. Honor is not an option, but rather a necessity for this type of support of our small DIY community. So I will do my best to try and get the price of the boards as low as possible to make sure you can buy what you need for a good price.

BUT the good news is that I am trying to modify the circuit to use a TL074 with two separate mixer input stages so you can have this module have 3 inputs for audio AND 3 inputs for CV. Pots are optional and completely up to you.

With the addition of the mixer sections and resonance, this single section module becomes a fully featured filter (without 1V/Oct tracking though). I wish there was a way to make every request possible, but I will stick with my initial vision in producing the run. Thanks to everyone for your support!

More tomorrow. I should have been asleep 2 hours ago.

Thomas

PS. Can someone provide a trigger/gate extractor circuit to me so I can try and whip up a guitar pedal for my buddy. With one of these and a simple trigger you have powerful filtering at your hands.

numbertalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So is there any way to at least make a larger run to accommodate all the extra interest? I personally would be willing to pay in advance for 4 boards if it helps. Please? Smile
BananaPlug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Can someone provide a trigger/gate extractor circuit...

Ken Stone to the rescue:
http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs69_gtb.html
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YES

how many of us can get in on this?

i would be so sad to miss out on this. i totally agree with you honoring DON's agreement

thanks

/mr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I cancel my previous interest in 4 lopass gates.
Since they are quite small I'd rather build a quad on veroboard in the future than putting 4 single PCBs behind a panel.

Don't get me wrong, I support to 100% your agreement with Don (which I didn't know of before) - and it's a great project you're making! Fabulously popular as well! Smile
numbertalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So since you haven't sent these off for production yet can you increase the run to accommodate the large response? Still would love 4 boards and will pay in advance for them if it helps. Thanks!
keithwin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2 for me please!
djthomaswhite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Another Late Night Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whew, another late one. But it is all in good effort to make a solid PCB so it is worth it.

Attached are the latest build docs including the Revision 1.7 files. There is a parts list, actual size PCB image, blown up color PCB image and the revised schematic since adding the second mixer section. I am sending off the PCB for proto production after a final check tomorrow. Looks good but I don't want to waste money on some stupid trace problem as you might imagine.

The part list has all the Mouser part numbers, with exception to the Vactrols which can be obtained from Allied Elec here in the states. My apologies to International folks as I am not familiar with part numbers in your area to get this moving. Maybe someone can put that together for Rapid or Farnell in the UK?

Off to bed. As you can see, things are moving along nicely. I may be upping the run. No solid news yet, but I am working on a large run once rather than a batch now, later and yet again after that. Too much mailing. Boards will likely be $10 as mentioned, but with shipping and handling included in the US.

Not sure how much extra International will cost, but I will try to make a discount since people are ordering up to 16 boards (still boggles my mind). I can't imagine more than a few extra bucks. I'll ship express but at your cost. Otherwise shipping will be the normal first class, "up to 14-days to get to your country" type of thing.

All docs will be in a zip file like the one below, but I will include everything I have in a final version.

Thanks gang, more to come!

Thomas Very Happy

Lopass Gate Revision 1.7.zip
 Description:
Stuffs

Download
 Filename:  Lopass Gate Revision 1.7.zip
 Filesize:  207.48 KB
 Downloaded:  536 Time(s)

chrissugar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Thomas

Have you read my post about the ERROR I posted on the previous page?
I registered to this forum to mention it and avoid some possible problems before PCB fabrication. Exclamation

chrissugar
Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FWIW, I'm pleased that they are single boards, as I plan to put one in a fixed architecture rack synth, as one of the filter options. Others will go in the modular.

great work, and thanks. Smile

cheers,
Dave
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

chrissugar wrote:
I hope it is not too late, and I think I'm not wrong, but it looks like there is an error.
In the schematic posted at Mark Verbos's site http://www.simple-answer.com/DIY.html and here http://www.hylander.us/images/schematics/buchla/ the signal that returns from the last opamp (the one at the filter audio output) to the 4,7nanofarad cap is colected from the output of the opamp (after the 10K feedback resistor).
In both schematics and PCB files of Fonik and djthomaswhite, the signal is colected before the 10k resistor, from the inverting input of the opamp (of course there is negative feedback signal from the output of the opamp at that inverting input).
I don't say it will not work, just the schematics and PCBs from the four sources are different. I was under the impresion that the schematic at http://www.hylander.us/images/schematics/buchla/ is the right one (original?).
Please anyone can check and confirm?

chrissugar

hi chris,

this is a real bummer!

you are absolutely right. however, there have been dozens of builts from my faulty schematic and it indeed works quite fine Laughing

correction of this would/could solve the inconsistency in the different modes outputs!?

thank you very much for heads up, chris.

loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if shipping is included in the states..i would like THREE not 2. (if you do a big run.)

this is a popular board eh?

thanks

numbertalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Another Late Night Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djthomaswhite wrote:
Off to bed. As you can see, things are moving along nicely. I may be upping the run. No solid news yet, but I am working on a large run once rather than a batch now, later and yet again after that.

That would be great. Especially if you're only planning to do 1 run. Maybe setting a cut-off date for requests rather than picking a hard number (since you seem to be well over the minimum to make it worth your while)? If you need some pre-pays to do it that way I'm willing, though with the error mentioned a few messages back I realize you might want to make sure everything is working 100% before taking money.

Thanks!
chrissugar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:

hi chris,

this is a real bummer!

you are absolutely right. however, there have been dozens of builts from my faulty schematic and it indeed works quite fine Laughing

correction of this would/could solve the inconsistency in the different modes outputs!?

thank you very much for heads up, chris.

Hi Matthias

Thanks for the feedback Very Happy
As I said my suspicion was that the filter works in both situations, although it would be interesting to check how the sound of the filter change depending on from where the signal is colected (output or inverting input). I suspect because of different imedances and interactions, probably there will be some change in the "flavour" of the filter.
If there are two diferent sounds, you can add a switch to select between the two modes (and you can call it the chrissugar mod Twisted Evil Very Happy , he he)
Anyway, my intention is to design my own PCB, and probably at the test stage I will decide if it adding that switch is a good feature.

chrissugar
djthomaswhite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

while the schematic is different, it might be due to using angle vactrols instead of dual and here is the factor of the ic switch being replaced with a hardware one to consider. I will not send boards for proto until this is figures out

Matthias can you help me troubleshoot this? I can check on my end and we can compare findings. Anyone else that knows more about design can help too and it would be much appreciated.

I will say that my versions seems to be 100% functional in all modes. Not sure what actual difference will be made in the end but it is worth checking out. As stated bfore what is worth doing is worth doing right!

Thomas

Serenadi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

chrissugar wrote:
fonik wrote:

hi chris,

this is a real bummer!

As I said my suspicion was that the filter works in both situations, although it would be interesting to check how the sound of the filter change

Hi Chris, hi Matthias,

I still have the circuit on a breadboard in front of my modular, so I could test the difference this afternoon and I would say, it's not as much.

It only affects the "filter only" mode.
If the switch sw1a (I refer to the schematics of matthias) is connected to the inverting input of the output OpAmp (pin 6 - "fonikmode"), the sound is a little bit brighter than with the original connection (sw1a connected to the output of this OpAmp, pin7).

So, changing the offset pot or the amount of an external voltage a little bit equalizes it.

It does not affect the characteristic of the filter.

Another issue I've noticed, was a very heavy sensitivity regarding hum of the wire connected from sw1a (the common lug) to the non-inverting input of the "resonance" OpAmp (pin 12).
(only in the resonance-mode of course).

So, when I come close to this wire with my hand, it produced very heavy hum, only while in "both" mode.
This may be a problem of my breadboarding, but I don't think so.

However, I could solve this with a resistor 100k, connected from this pin 12 to ground.

And luckily this resistor solved the problem of heavy "plops" when switching between the modes also. Very Happy

So, I recommend inserting this additional resistor.
djthomaswhite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seranadi,

I think you are looking in the wrong place my friend for the ChrisSugar question. Pins 6 and 7 are not the Output Op-Amp stage. Changing the resistor connection there changes the range of the offset pot, which matches your description of the audible effect you end up with. My "Deep Switch" mod on the board connects these two pins with a switch and a 47K resistor to allow for purposely deeper offset settings.

Thanks for the input on the pin 12 resistor though. I will try that in my built design to see if it does the same thing on my PCB. If so, I will add it to the design and docs. Thanks!

numbernone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow I was just about to send of my own layout to PCBcart last week before I left the country, and return to find this giant thread!!

Still gonna roll my own as they are doubles on a board smaller than these singles, but do await the final results of these error fix mods or whathave yous. Man there is gonna be a whole lot of twanging going on soon for lots of folks.

Cant wait to see what peoples are able to clone next, MARF?? SOU??? I hafta revisit my 291 (Stites style), and get the BW working. Its a GREAT filter.
djthomaswhite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Guys,

I have all three schematics in front of me. OG Buchla, Fonik (grenader), and my version. The output of the 4.7n cap connected to the Vactrol goes to the switch (S5 on mine, W5 S-8 on Fonik's and an "X" on Bucha's schematic). This connects via the switch to S6 on mine, W6 S-9 on Foniks, and the other side of the "X" on Buchla's. This continues to the final op-amp stage. On the Buchla/Verbos schematic the connection goes to the juntion of the 10K resistor and Pin 8 of the TL084. On mine and Fonik's design the connection goes to the junction of the 10K and Pin 9 instead.

I will change this around with my version tonight to check the change. If it is prudent (as I am sure it is) I will adjust the PCB. Thanks for catching this Chris Sugar! I will also see about adding the 100K resistor to ground between pin 12 of the TL084 and ground to eliminate pops when switching modes.

Thanks for the help Gents. This is a fine example of why electro-music is the best place for us DIY guys to get our strengths together in the name of correct design. Imagine... I send one to Don and he goes "Well, it's great and all, but you F'd up on the last section of the circuit..." Shocked

Thomas

Serenadi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djthomaswhite wrote:
I think you are looking in the wrong place my friend for the ChrisSugar question.

Thomas,

I don't think so. Very Happy

chrissugar wrote:
the signal that returns from the last opamp (the one at the filter audio output) to the 4,7nanofarad cap is colected from the output of the opamp (after the 10K feedback resistor)

As I said, I refer to the schematics of Matthias, where pin6 and pin7 of U1 belong to the output amp of the filter section.

If you look at the original schematics at
http://www.simple-answer.com/lopass-gate.jpg

There these pins are labeled 1 and 2 of OpAmp 8.

Regarding vactrols:

my experience using Vactrols is that they have big tolerances.
Not only the LEDs inside differ within a batch, also the LDRs are different.
slightly different results.
Using two Vactrols will increase this problem.

The problem of offset voltages, producing the "plops" I mentioned, occurs only when using the resonance mod. This can be solved by the resistor.

But using the resonance option, the behavior of the complete circuit changes.
It just sounds different to the original LPG.

So, using a switch to choose between using the resonance mod or not may be a solution for those who prefer the original sound.

I don't think using electronic switches instead of mechanical ones has that much influence.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you, serenadi, for this great info. just in time! Very Happy
chrissugar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Serenadi wrote:

Another issue I've noticed, was a very heavy sensitivity regarding hum of the wire connected from sw1a (the common lug) to the non-inverting input of the "resonance" OpAmp (pin 12).
(only in the resonance-mode of course).

So, when I come close to this wire with my hand, it produced very heavy hum, only while in "both" mode.
This may be a problem of my breadboarding, but I don't think so.

However, I could solve this with a resistor 100k, connected from this pin 12 to ground.

And luckily this resistor solved the problem of heavy "plops" when switching between the modes also. Very Happy

So, I recommend inserting this additional resistor.

This problem can be solved by placing the opamp with the RESONANCE pot before the SW1A (on fonik schematic).
As it is now, when you switch to GATE or BOTH OFF the noninverting pin 12 is floating and works as an antenna. If you put it before SW1A, input 12 would be conected all the time to the output opamp, so no more problems.

chrissugar
chrissugar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Serenadi wrote:

Regarding vactrols:

my experience using Vactrols is that they have big tolerances.
Not only the LEDs inside differ within a batch, also the LDRs are different.
slightly different results.
Using two Vactrols will increase this problem.

I can just confirm Serenadi's experience about vactrols.
I use them to build some high-end mastering compressors, and all I can say is that you have to buy relative large numbers to find good pairs.
I mostly use VTL5c1, 5c2 and 5c4, and if you are very, very lucky you can find a good pair in a batch of 10 vactrols.

Also they are temperature dependent, so if you use two singles like VTL5c2 it is a good idea to put them together on a heatsink to have similar temperature tracking. So using the duals like VTL5c4/2 is probably a better option. From what I see the eficiency of the filter is dependent on how good the two cell track, so using different vactrols is maybe not the best mod.

chrissugar
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 38 [927 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 36, 37, 38 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: