electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Interesting Analog Synth Modules
Page 2 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Q? hehe.. from what I remember from the electronics classes .. this here is the explanation: ( arrgh... I remember less than I thought.. hang on .. I can try to make an example here ):

The Quality Factor, or "Q", is defined to be the center frequency divided by the bandwidth in Hertz. Hmm.. like.. think of an equaliser filter: For example, a filter centered at 1000 Hz that is 1/3-octave wide has -3dB frequencies located at 891 Hz and 1123 Hz respectively, yielding a bandwidth of 232 Hz. Q, therefore, is 1000 Hz divided by 232 Hz, or 4.31.

Does that make any sense?

BTW: Do reread that Oakley module post I made earlier in this thread. Tony has applied a constant Q circuit in there and that module is pretty neat.

Last edited by elektro80 on Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Q? hehe.. from what I remember from the electronics classes .. this here is the explanation: ( arrgh... I remember less than I thought.. hang on .. I can try to make an example here ):

The Quality Factor, or "Q", is defined to be the center frequency divided by the bandwidth in Hertz. Hmm.. like.. thins of an equaliser filter: For example, a filter centered at 1000 Hz that is 1/3-octave wide has -3dB frequencies located at 891 Hz and 1123 Hz respectively, yielding a bandwidth of 232 Hz. Q, therefore, is 1000 Hz divided by 232 Hz, or 4.31.

Oh my goodness! Shocked I did not know you were a rocket scientist.
Do you also fly jetliners?

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not as a pilot, but... hang on guys.. I do know how to peel a banana!
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Not as a pilot, but... hang on guys.. I do know how to peel a banana!

of course.....there are not banana trees in Norway Laughing

Quote:

Last edited by seraph on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

True, and peeling an elk will not quite render the same pleasant experience.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

The Quality Factor, or "Q", is defined to be the center frequency divided by the bandwidth in Hertz. Hmm.. like.. think of an equaliser filter: For example, a filter centered at 1000 Hz that is 1/3-octave wide has -3dB frequencies located at 891 Hz and 1123 Hz respectively, yielding a bandwidth of 232 Hz. Q, therefore, is 1000 Hz divided by 232 Hz, or 4.31.

Quality Factor, Q

An inherent characteristic of an oscillator that influences its stability. The quality factor, Q, of an oscillator is defined as its resonance frequency divided by its resonance width. Obviously a high resonance frequency and a narrow resonance width are both advantages when seeking a high Q. Generally speaking, the higher the Q, the more stable the oscillator, since a high Q means that an oscillator will stay close to its natural resonance frequency.
http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/enc-q.htm
WOW man, I guess you are right Shocked

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah... Cool Great that I still remember some from the classes. –Used to build some of my own gear. –Was an electronics geek. Haven´t messed with the soldering iron for years though.
jono

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting Analog Synth Modules Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
btw. I did add some vendor links in the hardware section..

There are some very amusing links to stuff like analog synth modules etc.
I recommend you check out some of this stuff and if you see modules that does not make much sense, study them more. there are some very amusing designs out there which are very tempting..

I was readind this topic when I realized that there are some portuguese guys making analog synth modules under the name of Club Of The Knobs
Does any one know anything about them?
I don't know much but here is a link to their place so you can check:
http://www.cluboftheknobs.com/first.html
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THX for the link. I have only seen some panels. I know nothing of the company or the gear.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jkn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heck - it took me about half the thread to realize it was 3 years old. Wink

COTK has popped up on the synthesizers.com list multiple times in the last year. Some people are dissapointed and others like them. There's someone on that list that has a couple of the modules and is happy with the build quality and sound (though the soldering wasn't spectacular). Other people rant about how horrible COTK is to deal with - others disagree - it seems to have a very wide range of reaction.

Doepfer has some interesting modules going... the Quad ADSR is an animal ( http://www.doepfer.de/a1432.htm ).

Cyndustries new Zeroscillator looks interesting: http://www.cyndustries.com/modules.cfm

The EAR-group started up: http://www.ear-group.com/ They bring together Oakley, Plan B, and Livewire under one roof.

Bananalogue also started up - doing Serge designs: http://www.bananalogue.com/
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
The Encore Universal Event Generator is a Synthesis Technology, MOTM compatible module designed to be a versatile and useful addition to an already great modular system. The UEG can be used as an envelope generator, a complex LFO, or as a step sequencer.

Yes- I believe our very own Dave Peck had something to do with this little beauty?

Personally, I've got one of these; Very Happy

wogglebug.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.49 KB
 Viewed:  24115 Time(s)

wogglebug.jpg

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jkn wrote:
Heck - it took me about half the thread to realize it was 3 years old. Wink

.............here we go again!!!!! Wink

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jkn wrote:

Cyndustries new Zeroscillator looks interesting: http://www.cyndustries.com/modules.cfm

Bananalogue also started up - doing Serge designs: http://www.bananalogue.com/

thanks for those liinks- I'm lusting over them right now! Shocked

Unfortunately I feel like Mosc did after I showed him the link for the Glass Harmonica Crying or Very sad

jkn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've curbed my gear lust for the moment - the only immediate items I'm trying to budget for is finishing my dotcom cabinet (3 modules to go... still... Smile

I really love the look of the Modcan B Series - http://www.modcan.com - love that clinical clean look... Definitely not new news for anyone following modulars - but I don't think it's in this dusty thread yet. I think I'd probably add MOTM modules into my setup instead though - or possibly start a Blacet rack. Or...

Speaking of MOTM, Paul is working on frac versions of several of his modules - there's a thread on it (with Paul posting info) here ( http://forum.soundarc.net/topic-127-0-30.html ) - last post is Oct 20, 2005 - I think I saw something more recent, but can't remember where.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jkn wrote:
I've curbed my gear lust for the moment -

I've had to curb my gear lust full stop! My solitary wogglebug is a bit of a one trick pony- I'd love those modcan modules but at 650usd/ or so- a piece????- they are more of a rich-man/woman's toy

Although you can see that Grant Richter has put a lot of effort into the design of the woggle, it's actually quite simple- I bet one could be knocked together (minus the fancy front panel though) for a lot less than how much I bought it for.

I wish there were more Ray Wilson's out there in this world of modular Sad

jkn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The Woggle Bug module contains:

2 Voltage Controlled Low Frequency Oscillators
4 Sample and Hold Units
4 Lag Processors
4 Audio Rate Voltage Controlled Oscillators
4 Balanced Modulators ("ring modulators")

http://www.wiard.com/modular/Woggle/Woggle.html

Seems to only be missing the kitchen sink. Smile

The combinations of different things is why I'm leaning towards a Blacet rack in the future. I bought my synthesizers.com because I wanted essentially a solid plain vanilla modular - and the dotcom fulfills that admirably. I may opt to add a 2nd 22 space cabinet of dotcom and not switch to anything else.

I actually rarely buy gear - springing for the 22 space modular cabinet (a few shots here: http://www.johei.com/gallery/2004Nov?&page=3 ) was a big investment. I've collected my small studio over 20 years - so the gear buying has been sporadic. Smile

I'm actually toying with going with a Reaktor-ish type program as my next investment. Then again - I really prefer hardware when it comes down to it. We'll see - I'm a long way off from something 'new' once I buy my last three modules for the dotcom.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jkn wrote:
Quote:
The Woggle Bug module contains:

2 Voltage Controlled Low Frequency Oscillators
4 Sample and Hold Units
4 Lag Processors
4 Audio Rate Voltage Controlled Oscillators
4 Balanced Modulators ("ring modulators")

Seems to only be missing the kitchen sink. Smile

don't believe the hype! Yes it can do ring modulation- but only squarewaves, yes it does have sample and hold -infact it's based on the Buchla Source of Uncertainty, the vco's only make pulse and a sawtooth (although its the pulse which is more useful). It is NOT 1v/oct by any stretch of the imagination- and although it only makes one type of sound, getting it to repeat something twice is nigh on impossible!!

Well I'm probably asking too much out of it- Grant Richter made it quite clear that it is better put to use with other modules- but there is no way of telling that until I'm very very rich!

The demo woggle mp3 on Wiard's site makes far better noises than this bug. I've emailed Grant 2 or 3 times about modifying it to sound more 'Louis and Bebe Barron", but he never replies- so there you go. Perhaps he's lurking somewhere on this forum? Grant are you there?

I think I only need a couple more modules- and I've got the potential of quite a cool sound making box at my disposal.

If anyone wants to swap a G2 for it- then I'm all game Smile

sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This thread is too cool to be forgotten so I epically necrobump it. Very Happy

With the Synthetic Sound Labs (SSL) Double Deka Ultrasonic VCO - Model 1130
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
Innovator and designer extraordinaire Ian Fritz has teamed up with Synthetic Sound Labs to bring you one of the most useful and flexible VCOs on the market - the SSL 1130 Double Deka VCO.

The Double Deka is a stable, wide range 1V/Octave VCO with incredible sonic versatility. Imagine "drawing" a 10 stage waveform using lighted front panel sliders. Now imagine two of these separate waveforms, each with a precisely stepped 6 octave range control that can also be externally voltage controlled. In addition, using a built in knob or external control voltage, you can cross-fade between the two waveforms. Add to this, two unique new types of sync, a funky digital ring modulator (DRM) type input, plus separate linear and exponential FM inputs, and you begin to see (and hear) the possibilities.

This unique VCO consists of an ultrasonic oscillator core followed by a parallel pair of waveform generators. Each waveform generator consists of a voltage controlled multi-octave divider, followed by circuitry to generate a 10-step waveform using a set of 10 slider potentiometers. Also included are a novel synchronization circuit with two different operating modes and a built-in "digital ring modulator" (DRM) for producing a wide variety of synchronized and anharmonic sounds. The oscillator core is highly stable (better than 20 ppm/K ) and features wide-range, accurate tracking (better than 0.05% over fifteen octaves). The variable waveform generator provides fine control over an enormous range of available timbres. The high frequency output of the "core" oscillator is provided for use in driving other frequency dividers.

The main feature of course are the LED sliders. Laughing
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow that module looks awesome! Costs some, but that's only to be expected for that kind of panel. And awesome thread too - nice gravedigging! Very Happy
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn you, I just blew a chunk of change on a Euro system with Maths and Echophon and lots of other goodies, and now you have me lusting for a Double Dekka! Very Happy
sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not everything can be in Euro. Wink

I also like the Megaohm Delta VCF:

Quote:

• four-pole voltage controlled filter
  • switchable between lowpass and bandpass response
  • AC coupled Linear FM input
  • extended resonance range
  • extended input gain range
  • high performance VCA which can function as an entirely separate module

Plus:
- input mixer
- 2 CV inputs (one with attenuverter)
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've actually resisted the Lure of Euro until relatively recently. I blame the Euro Klee kit Very Happy
sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, the Euro Klee is very nice. I wish I'd have the space for it in my Eurorack rig but I set myself an expansion limit so I'll finally be able to make music instead of looking for new modules when I finished it. Wink

I have another module: A VCO without linear FM but with a soft clipping circuit and ring modulator on board so it's more in the harder sounding area:

Corsynth C104 Odyssey of Sound VCO

As the name suggests it's a copy of the Arp Odyssey VCO (similar to the Arp 2600 VCO).

Apart from the CVable clipping I like most that it has both a coarse pot and a three way octave switch so you can sweep through the frequency range but also switch octaves in an instant.

So not the best choice when you are into FM but everything else is quite cool for an East Cost style VCO.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sonicwarrior, how about a photo of your complete synth, and some music.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sonicwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, these things are for making music? Laughing

My MU system currently only consists of the Corsynth C104, Double Deka, Megaohm Delta filter, Curetronic Stonehenge and a Bode shifter from COTK plus a small Curetronic DIY system (2x ADSR, VCA, CEM3379, Tool, Diginoise, Quad CV LFO, VCO Lite). Doesn't look like much.
I have two uncalibrated Anyware Instruments DIY VCOs but don't count them yet. Most of my finished MOTM modules are uncalibrated, too, and sitting around waiting for calibration and final placement.
Page 2 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: