electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Experimental
On The Run
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
modular

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 72

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: On The Run Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An emulation of the famous Pink Floyd "On the run" sequencer in The Dark Side of The moon.

Play the Note A2 with low dynamic then move the Wheel up to opening filters and active aftertouch for the LFO's

This performance isn't still perfect but i hope enough close to the original,
main problem for me was capture exactly the tuned notes played on the VCS3 by Roger Waters, because i don't know well how build a note sequence yet.

Feel freely to suggest tips of course

On The Run II.prf2
 Description:
An Emulation of Famous starting sequence in Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon

Download
 Filename:  On The Run II.prf2
 Filesize:  8.86 KB
 Downloaded:  2619 Time(s)

Last edited by modular on Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you want to see some 'on he run's (for NM Classic), maybe to see how others did it :

http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/010_NordModular/011_Patches/Smart_Mark/

http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/010_NordModular/011_Patches/Trawinski_Aka_(Radek)/

There are a few more that I catalogued under 'Grant' but I can't find those in the archive.

Jan.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems like doing 'on the run' is some sort of G1 tradition.
I just spent some enjoyable time researching the little EMS synthesisers, the VCS3 and the suitcase-like Synthi-A. I never played one but always admired the design.
They have a quirky envelope, capable of self-triggering but otherwise, an AHR type. The 3 oscillators (#3 is biased toward LFO type use) each have two mixable waveforms and a shape control. Oscillator 1 has ramp and a variable sine, the alternate sine shape is simply a full wave rectified sine.
The filter is (reportedly) a little bland and unassuming, early (pre 1974) units had an 18dB slope and they all had a slight slew problem (frequency slow to change with fast CV).
And must not forget that wonderful patch panel, where replacement pins cost more than decent patch cords and you have to retune the oscillators after making a new connection Shocked
So armed with all my research and a fresh copy of Dark Side Of The Moon, I have done a little G2 'on the run'. It sort of takes care of itself but if you feel the need, Filter cutoff is morphed to the mod wheel.
I think the origional was multitracked unless he had 3 or more synthi-A's

DARKNOODLE2.pch2
 Description:
On The Run for G2

Download
 Filename:  DARKNOODLE2.pch2
 Filesize:  6.77 KB
 Downloaded:  2707 Time(s)

Last edited by ian-s on Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
modular

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 72

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This exactly is!

Thanks one time again g2ian Wink Very Happy
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very very close Ian !

The highhats might need some extra tweaking, guess it's a real drummer on the record (the speed seems to vary a bit ?). And then of course the scratches and ticks my record has :-)

I tried putting in a metal noise osc instead of the regular noise, but that one costs a bit too much unfortunately.

This patch brings my laptop to a grinding halt, it's almost untweakable for me - maybe it thinks it to hot to compute (it would be quite right about that).

Jan.
ian-s

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the comments guys, and the advice Jan. I just updated the post (DARKNOODLE2) with some minor changes.

Shifted the HiHat and background noise into the FX area, freeing some dsp and allowing small improvements. The hats now use a separate metal oscillator and are humanised with slow random lfo waves for velocity and timing (using mod delays). The background noise gets just a little more complicated with a randomB generator.
In the main section have just added a couple of modulated pan modules to shift Synthi 2 and 3 around in space. The timeline LFO has also been slowed to about a minute.
Hopefully it will be more tweakable now as well Smile .
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
I just updated the post (DARKNOODLE2) with some minor changes..

I knew you would, too much silence happened :-)

I'm at work now, but I'll certainly check it out this evening.

(*later, at home, but the sun is the same, ehm, relative, older*)

Wow, this is so close I can almost hear the voices and the footsteps, excellent !

Jan.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
:
So armed with all my research and a fresh copy of Dark Side Of The Moon, I have done a little G2 'on the run'. It sort of takes care of itself but if you feel the need, Filter cutoff is morphed to the mod wheel.
I think the origional was multitracked unless he had 3 or more synthi-A's

wow- how did I miss this thread?

I have a DSOTM DVD documentary where Dave Gilmore talks about how that sequence was created. He doesn't go into much detail though, regarding filters, oscs, etc, but it's interesting to hear/see first hand.

I wish I could make a copy of that DVD sequence and post it.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
I have a DSOTM DVD documentary where Dave Gilmore talks about how that sequence was created.

Saw that one.
Quote:
He doesn't go into much detail though, regarding filters, oscs, etc, but it's interesting to hear/see first hand.

But it has a nice buildup with running it slower and faster making it easier to hear what is going on - it seemed very natural in the movie Very Happy

Glad to see you're home again safe.

cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="Blue Hell"]
cappy2112 wrote:
I have a DSOTM DVD documentary where Dave Gilmore talks about how that sequence was created.

Saw that one.
Quote:
He doesn't go into much detail though, regarding filters, oscs, etc, but it's interesting to hear/see first hand.

But it has a nice buildup with running it slower and faster making it easier to hear what is going on - it seemed very natural in the movie Very Happy

Glad to see you're home again safe.[/quote

I have also seen a similar one where Townsend shows how the arpeggiator sequence in "Won't Get Fooled Again" (or was it Baba Oreilly?) was done with an Arp 2600.
I think this one is also on YouTube
(of course, what isn't on You Tube these days?)
derekrevell

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: On the run on Synthi AKS
Subject description: How it was done
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Very very close Ian !

The highhats might need some extra tweaking, guess it's a real drummer on the record (the speed seems to vary a bit ?). And then of course the scratches and ticks my record has Smile

I tried putting in a metal noise osc instead of the regular noise, but that one costs a bit too much unfortunately.

This patch brings my laptop to a grinding halt, it's almost untweakable for me - maybe it thinks it to hot to compute (it would be quite right about that).

Jan.

Well as far as I know, the "High Hats" you refer to, were actually a sound generated on the Synthi at the same time as the sequence, the trigger pulse from the sequencer is fed to the A input of the Ring Modulator. and the B input is fed from the Noise Generator with the colour set around 3.

The output from the Ring Mod is then fed in the Filter which is a 4th Order type filter producing 24db/Oct, the EMS filter has always been a 24db/oct, although the EMS spec sheet says 18db/Oct, this was only stated as such to avoid litigation from Moog, the EMS filter uses Diodes instead of Transistors, but it's still a 4 Pole Filter, check the circuit diagram if you don't believe me.

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm I'd love to hear it but even if it would on the run run on the demo (no idea) the demo doesn't really run on my computer.
However I don't know if there would be any copyright issues with it. If not than I have a version somewhere myself I could
upload (not G2 though) and I know Blue Hell played with it too.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: On the run on Synthi AKS
Subject description: How it was done
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

derekrevell wrote:
...The output from the Ring Mod is then fed in the Filter which is a 4th Order type filter producing 24db/Oct, the EMS filter has always been a 24db/oct, although the EMS spec sheet says 18db/Oct, this was only stated as such to avoid litigation from Moog, the EMS filter uses Diodes instead of Transistors, but it's still a 4 Pole Filter, check the circuit diagram if you don't believe me.

Yes, the EMS diode ladder is a 4 pole/24dB LPF. So, for EMS to claim that it is an 18dB LPF is not true. But, as Tim Stinchcombe showed in his analysis of the frequency response of EMS vs. the Moog transistor ladder, the EMS filter has a noticeably rounder roll off curve at the corner frequency when the filters are set at lowest resonance. This would suggest that the EMS filter would cut some high frequencies just as they approached the corner, but would allow more highs to pass above the corner frequency when compared to the Moog. That would give the audible impression of something less than a 24dB slope. But, as the resonance of these filters is increased, I would suspect that the sound of the EMS would start to come closer to matching the 24dB slope of the Moog.

It’s too bad that the G2 does not have a filter module intended to emulate the sound of famous diode ladder filters like the ones used in the EMS synths and TB-303. But, the G2 Classic Filter module (a G2 emulation of the Moog ladder filter) seems to come much closer to sounding like the diode ladder filters than any other G2 filter module.

And thanks to this Pink Floyd On the Run topic being bumped up to the top, I now have an easy excuse to put my Dark Side of the Moon CD in the player and spin it for what must be more than the 1000th plus time… Razz Cool

varice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
hmm I'd love to hear it but even if it would on the run run on the demo (no idea) the demo doesn't really run on my computer...

Shocked WTF Question Exclamation I just tried to load the DARKNOODLE2 patch into the G2 Demo on a relatively powerful Windows 7 Pro computer, but the Demo fails to run (Demo Voice Mode indicator goes RED), but the patch runs just fine on the hardware...

PHOBoS wrote:
However I don't know if there would be any copyright issues with it. If not than I have a version somewhere myself I could

Ummm, a version of "what" are you refering to?

ian-s

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This patch predates the G2 demo by quite a while. I think that the Demo is strictly a one dsp deal. If the total VA + FX > 100% then it won't work.

Here is a stripped down demo compatible version. No reverb and the randomization of the high hat-ish sound has been removed (not required anyway Wink ). Also some other stuff.

If you don't have the demo even, you can see the patch here

darknoodle2-demo.pch2
 Description:
stripped back for G2 demo compat

Download
 Filename:  darknoodle2-demo.pch2
 Filesize:  5.73 KB
 Downloaded:  4212 Time(s)

varice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ian-s wrote:
...I think that the Demo is strictly a one dsp deal. If the total VA + FX > 100% then it won't work.

Embarassed I had mistakenly thought that the G2 Demo would give 100% in the VA and 100% in the FX area. But that seems to be not true…

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ian-s wrote:
here

Starting to look like the real thing more and more :-)

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

varice wrote:
PHOBoS wrote:
hmm I'd love to hear it but even if it would on the run run on the demo (no idea) the demo doesn't really run on my computer...

Shocked WTF Question Exclamation I just tried to load the DARKNOODLE2 patch into the G2 Demo on a relatively powerful Windows 7 Pro computer, but the Demo fails to run (Demo Voice Mode indicator goes RED), but the patch runs just fine on the hardware...

In my case it's not so much that it doesn't run just that I don't have a powerful PC so I can only play a small patch.

Quote:
PHOBoS wrote:

Ummm, a version of "what" are you refering to?

a version of on the run Laughing
But I looked up what i had yesterday and I really don't think it's worth posting,
I thought it had a longer section that sounded ok.
Wasn't trying to do a cover just testing a sequencer.
However I do want to make a Dark Side of the Moon Base someday.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can't embed youtube anymore (old browser) so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOF_PnUATvU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl28UCNWSig (maybe there's a better version of this)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rU_ei_x0Ag (short extended part from above video, better quality)

varice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
varice wrote:
...Ummm, a version of "what" are you refering to?

a version of on the run Laughing

Laughing Silly me… I may be more of a nerd than I thought I was. I read the word version and this pops into my head: software version?... patch version?... Rolling Eyes

Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Experimental
Jump to: