electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
3rd run of PCBs for the PS3100 Resonators & the X-panfader
Page 1 of 14 [349 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: 3rd run of PCBs for the PS3100 Resonators & the X-panfader
Subject description: (SOLD OUT)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

camelneck wrote:
I've been wanting to clone the PS-3100's resonators for some time. Unfortunately, I'm just returning from a 9 month break from any kind of DIY work and just found out about this project a few days ago.

Are there any plans (or demand) to produce another batch of PC boards? If anybody has a spare board that they might wish to sell, please let me know!

Thanks,
David

i could do a 3rd run any time, if there is enough interest (50 PCBs min). OTH i'd liked to do a stereo version (plans are laid out in my head), this could take some weeks. and there are other projects on my pile as well.
bottom line: there will be a 3rd run (if there s enough interest), i will to have find out when and what...
opinions?

[EDIT 12 MAR 09: documentation uploaded]
complete Resonators & X-Pan-Fader documentation - 2.5 MB

[EDIT 9 FEB 09]
i am taking advance orders until 27 FEB 09
then i will send the files to the manufacturer

UPDATE 19 JAN 09: the PCB prototypes are tested.
there will be a PS3100 PCB v3, with some minor changes to the last version. i still have to some little changes on the boards layout (moving this and that a little bit).
then i did a 2nd board containing a simple stereo x-panner/fader. the VCAs used are not that fanc, simplified ones for just that panning purpose. it is an expansion board in the first place, but could be built as a standalone module too.
refer to the 4th page of this thread for sound samples and to the thread of the last PCB runs of the resonators.

there has a lot of documentation to be done. this will take a while, i think.

Update 26 JAN 09:
i start a list for advance orders by now. everyone interested should tell me the quantity he definetely wants. that would be very helpful. don't hesitate to contact me via PM, email or by posting in this thread.

schematics will be posted soon.

PRICING (edit 30 jan 09) :
(under the assumption of minimum advance orders for 50 PCB each):
PS3100 PCB 13.-USD/10.-EUR
X-Panner PCB 10.-USD/7.50EUR

+ packaging & postage (german postal services changed their prices!)
1 PCB 4.-USD, more than 1 PCB 8.-USD worldwide
3.- EUR europe
2.- EUR deutschland

PCBs should be available mid-march, i guess.

[edited a bit by Blue Hell to change the thread ownership]

Last edited by fonik on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:39 am; edited 12 times in total
Junk Rhythm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll jump onto that list for 2 when it happens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
crashlander42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stereo version? I'm listening... Very Happy

http://www.myspace.com/isaciongun
http://www.youtube.com/user/Crashlander42
My DIY stuff Flickr
whomper

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had build one of the 2nd run to great results.

Will probably join for the 3rd stereo version

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
camelneck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

>>Fonik wrote,
I could do a 3rd run any time, if there is enough interest (50 PCBs min).
OTH i'd liked to do a stereo version (plans are laid out in my head)<<

This is wonderful news!!! I was about ready to design and etch my own board, but I'd much rather wait a few weeks/months and have a quality PCB.

What changes are you currently considering when you say "a stereo version"? Are you talking about adding a custom stereo panning circuit to the rev2 PCB board? Or are you talking about adding another set of resonators so there would be 6 band pass filters total (3 per each channel)?

Regardless, I hope that you plan to leave the basic design as is, including the LFO. (I'm really impressed with the sound samples I've heard!) If that is the case, I'll purchase 2 boards so I can build both a mono and a stereo version. Smile
fonik

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the idea was to have the original PS3100 resonators three BPFs and pan them into stereo like this (the wet/dry mix would be sacrificed - i don't use it at all):

3PS3100_pan.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.82 KB
 Viewed:  1036 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

3PS3100_pan.jpg

kitsch-bent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stereo version sounds wonderful. i'd certainly be up for at least 2 boards...
djthomaswhite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: I want one! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd want one of these Matthias! Stereo would be a nice bonus,

Thomas

numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Count me in for 1 when there's a 3rd run. Thanks!
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Me six... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, I'd take precisely one of those boards on the third run.
camelneck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias,
Thanks for posting the diagram for your stereo resonator design. That was the basic approach that I was hoping you would take.

I assume that this diagram only shows the new features that you plan to add, such as adding additional CV inputs to control panning. In other words,

1) Do you plan to make any changes to any of the original features such as the way the original CV inputs that control the frequency of each resonator are implemented?

2) Also, since you are adding the stereo panner, do you still plan to keep the LFO in the new design. (I certainly hope so.)

Anyway, I'm really anxious to get a hold of a couple of the rev 3 boards!

David
LektroiD

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two here if there's another run! Wink
fonik

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

camelneck wrote:
Matthias,
Thanks for posting the diagram for your stereo resonator design. That was the basic approach that I was hoping you would take.

I assume that this diagram only shows the new features that you plan to add, such as adding additional CV inputs to control panning. In other words,

1) Do you plan to make any changes to any of the original features such as the way the original CV inputs that control the frequency of each resonator are implemented?

no. i will leave off the wet/dry mix control, though. i myself don't use it at all and it would make the stereo more complicated. and hey, does any our other filters have a wet/dry control?

Quote:
2) Also, since you are adding the stereo panner, do you still plan to keep the LFO in the new design. (I certainly hope so.)

yes, i do.

i will try to get it all on one PCB with eagle light. if it doesn't work i will split the circuit into two parts: one PCB for the actual resonators and an additional PCB for the stereo option. this would maybe please all who already got a rev1 or 2 board, but will be a little bit more expensive for those, who need both boards. distribution would be more complicated as well. i still think about it.

whomper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:

i will try to get it all on one PCB with eagle light. if it doesn't work i will split the circuit into two parts: one PCB for the actual resonators and an additional PCB for the stereo option. this would maybe please all who already got a rev1 or 2 board, but will be a little bit more expensive for those, who need both boards. distribution would be more complicated as well. i still think about it.

Splitting to 2 boards will make sense if one can use the stereo board independently from the resonator. If not, I would suggest having it on a single board with an option not to populate/use the stereo section.

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
fonik

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whomper wrote:
fonik wrote:

Splitting to 2 boards will make sense if one can use the stereo board independently from the resonator.

that's my thought, too. the stereo board would have to carry the 4 VCAs and the CV summer. i wanted to use very simple VCAs (a very basic two quadrant multiplier design, as seen on EN#29, PAIA or EFM). i breadboarded two VCAs without any trimmers (symmetry, offset) and for this application they are okay, i think. for a standalone version they should be a little bit more versatile, i guess. we will see.

numbertalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just checking to see if any updates on a 3rd run of a stereo version of this board - how close to 50 people are on board, how far down in your work queue is the design updates, etc?

Thanks!
stijn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great you're doing another run!

put me down for one board please!
BananaPlug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like the one board vs. two boards decision could be a tough call but I'll put in my two cents worth and say it would be cool if the two board solution resulted in a VC pan board suitable for use on its own. Needless to say this would unleash a flurry of feature requests and requirements that go beyond what's needed for the resonater. Surprised

Idea Just for kicks, here's a Vactrol panner:
http://www.simple-answer.com/vac-panner.jpg

It would have the desirable (to me anyway) effect of reducing the depth of panning as the frequency of the LFO goes up.
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

me myself am voting for the two board solution. i just have etched a prototype. it provides 4 simple VCAs and a CV summer/inverter to allow stereo-x-pan (one channel left, while the other is right), plus a third input, going straight to both outputs.
the VCAs are all coupled, though. and at the moment i won't allow any feature creep Very Happy
i will see how it works out. the panners VCAs ahve no trimmers for offset or anything (which could be ammended, i think)...

henrikgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One PCB for me too!
plord

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Put me down for one, for certain.
Luka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

im keen too
http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
numbertalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A 2 board design is fine with me. Definitely in for a pair.
camelneck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

>>Just checking to see if any updates on a 3rd run of a stereo version of this board - how close to 50 people are on board, how far down in your work queue is the design updates, etc? <<

That's a good question. I wonder if Mathias (Fonik) has been keeping a list? As soon as Matthias finishes his design, I'd like for someone to start an official list to see how close we are to 50. I'm afraid that some people may not be aware of this discussion since the title for this thread doesn't mention 'Stereo' PS-3100 Resonators.

I wonder if Moderator Scott can change the title of this thread to "PCB Boards for Stereo PS-3100 Resonator Project".

For those new to this thread, here is a summary concerning what's been said so far:
------------
On On Sept 27, 2008. Matthias (Fonik) mentioned 2 scenarios,

Scenario #1
>>i could do a 3rd run any time, if there is enough interest (50 PCBs min). <<Scenario>> OTH i'd liked to do a stereo version (plans are laid out in my head), this could take some weeks. and there are other projects on my pile as well. <<

However, as discussion progressed on the matter, Matthias seemed to be favoring option #2 and seemed really psyched about developing a stereo resonator. I missed out on the first two runs so I'll be happy with either scenario. I plan to buy 2 PCB's regardless because I would like to build both a mono version and a stereo version.

Scenario #2 should be very similar to scenario #1 with the addition of a voltage controlled stereo panner. Matthias says the only thing he plans to delete from the original Rev2 PS-3100 Resonator PCB is the wet/dry mix control, which many people won't use or even implement.

Although I'm really anxious to order my 2 PCB's, Matthias did say he was working on some other projects and that it would be a few weeks before he would finish the design. IMO, there seem to be 2, maybe 3*, design issues that haven't been resolved and they are interlocked with each other.

1) Complexity of the VCA's for the VC Stereo Panner
2) Whether it should be a single PCB or dual PCB design
*3) Adding another LFO or an Envelope Generator of some sort.

Issue #3 is my own addition and it hasn't been mentioned on this board until now.

MY PERSONAL PREFERENCES
Personally, I would like to see the 2nd scenario with a 2-PCB design implemented. I also favor keeping the existing resonator (rev 2) board as is. It would contain the 3 resonators and the LFO (minus the wet/dry control if need be). The 2nd board could contain the VC stereo panner, and either a 2nd LFO or an envelope generator. Using 2 boards, Matthias would have more room to build a better, more flexible VCA that could even be used as a standalone VCO panner. A 2nd board would probably also provide room for either a 2nd LFO or a simple Envelope Generator to be added.

I don't have a PS-3100 resonator module, so I can't do any experimentation, but I don't think the existing LFO would be very
effective at simultaneously controlling the resonators and the VC panner. I think using the existing LFO to control one while using an EG or a 2nd LFO the other would be much better especially if the 2nd LFO or the EG could also be delayed. Neither would have to be very complicated and the Envelope Generator wouldn't have to be an ADSR. It could be an AD-, AR-, ASR-, DAR-, or DASR -type EG with a delay time pot, an attack pot, a decay/release pot, and perhaps a sustain off/on switch.

Of course, each resonator and the VC panner should have their own separate CV inputs so an external LFO can always be used as the 2nd LFO, or even a 3rd LFO. So this 2nd LFO/EG option wouldn't have to be implemented unless there was sufficient space on the 2nd PCB for both it and the VC Panner. In addition, if you didn't want this option, you could simply not implement it.

Finally, I plan to buy two PCB's if it is a single PCB design, or two 2-PCB sets (4 PCB's) if it is a dual PCB design. The main reason why I like the dual PCB design best with the Resonators and LFO#1 on PCB#1 and the VC panner plus a 2nd LFO/EG on PCB #2 is because of the flexibility it offers. With the 2-PCB design, I could choose to build 3 different modules using these 4 boards--a mono version of the PS-3100 Resonators (1 PCB), a standalone VC Panner w/ delayed LFO or EG (1-PCB), and a stereo version of the PS-3100 Resonators w/ 1 or 2 LFO's (2 PCBs). There aren't two many DIY Projects for VC Panners and I definitely want one of these in the modular system that I'm building.

David
LektroiD

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be interested too!

1, perhaps 2, dependant on price of course Smile
Page 1 of 14 [349 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
Jump to: