electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Artists » Stein Grebstad
Journey to the End of the Night
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Journey to the End of the Night Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
"In this world we spent our time killing or adoring, or both together. 'I hate you! I adore you!' We keep going, we fuel and refuel, we pass on our life to a biped of the next century, with frenzy, or any cost, as if it were the greatest of pleasures to perpetuate ourselves, as if, when all's said and done, it would make us immortal. One way or another, kissing is as indispensable as scratching."

from Journey to the End of Night - written by Louis-Ferdinand Céline (1894-1961) - pseudonym of Louis-Ferdinand Destouches

The book was praised both the right-wing extremist Léon Daudet and Leon Trotsky, an exiled Communist leader, and received the Renaudot Prize. Ferdinand Bardamu, the protagonist, had much in common with Céline. The story, narrated in the first person in vernacular slang, covered author's life from1913 to 1932, although the events are rearranged and modified for the tale. Bardamu says he is an anarchist. His prayer of social vengeance is: "A God who counts minutes and pennies, a desperate sensual God, who grunts like a pig. A pig with golden wings, who falls and falls, always belly side up, ready for caresses, that's him, our master. Come, kiss me." Céline follows Bardamu's adventures in the trenches of World War I, his experiences in Africa running a trading post, hellish work in a Ford factory in the United states, and his return to postwar Paris, where he sets up a medical practice. "It's sickening to see the workers bent over their machines, intent on giving them all possible pleasure, calibrating bolts and more bolts, instead of putting an end once and for all to this stench of oil, this vapour that burns your throat and attacks your eardrums from inside. It's not shame that makes them bow their head. You give in to noise as you give in to war. At the machines you let yourself go with three ideas that are wobbling about at the top of your head. And that's the end." (from Journey to the End of the Night)

This is an early version I just found on my disk. It is a part of the "Utmost Savagery" series. This track is kinda related to another one.. called Assault.

- link removed

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stark and beautiful..just like the night itself

loved how it went from deep ambience to the layered melodies with drums ... with some great programming effects with filters ... the bass melody was doing some funky things

you probably havenl' mixed this fully yet, but i felt the drums could have had more meat to them....but that's me

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice as usual.
I would fade the rhythmic tracks in at a slower pace. the transition seems a little too abrupt (to me).
How old is this piece Question
Rhythmically it is similar to your last piece and also the sounds seem similar, they must have been composed at the same time and both are very japanese Very Happy
sayonara Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup.. this is not a proper mix yet and there are some issues. THX guys... but... japanese? Shocked Very Happy
Dunno yet about the drums.. I haven´t decided yet what to do here. The drum tracks are a bit weird I guess because the main parts of this thing is in 3/4 - 6/8
The piece itself is from the 80s.. but the main parts of the recording I guess I did last year..? Anyway.. there are actually 2 persons playing here.. not just me... so that makes Elektro 80 a band again.. at least when this was recorded

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
but... japanese? Shocked Very Happy

maybe I have "almond ears" Shocked

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Journey to the End of the Night Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
...Ferdinand Bardamu, the protagonist...

interestingly I signed up to this Italian site named after him:
http://www.bardamu.it/soci/carloserafini.html
isn't sensational Question

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good music, as usual. It does have a sound of synths that were big in the 80s. I don't hear the Japanese aspect to this, nor does this sound like Arabic music to me. It is very much your own style. I kinda agree with Carlo about the sudden transitions, but then again, Beethoven had abrupt transitions all the time. It sounds like a work in prograss, which is what you say it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. yes.. you are hearing some Jupiter 8s and Jupiter 6s, real PPG .. and the Waldorf PPG.. some Minimoog, Octave Cat.. a Novatron and a leslie.. and the M-tron.. and various other stuff.. not exactly 80s... early 80s at best.

Some of the transitions I think are supposed to be pretty abrupt, others not.. I will have to check the paperwork. I wrote a conceptual thingie first in order to ghet some overview for the book. Anyway, I can recommend the book.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The link to the music has been removed

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
thapoke

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im reading Death on Credit by Celine right now, and got all exited when I saw this thread.. Where has the track gone?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The track is offline. Very Happy

This particular track is still to be reassembled into Logic 7.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
orczy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
The track is offline. Very Happy

This particular track is still to be reassembled into Logic 7.

And then released to the public?

I think the world needs "Utmost Savagery" now. It certainly is relevant!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am working on it. Right now I am entering notation into the notation editor in Logic. It is a great help to have parts readable in decent notation when doing the finetuning of the material. It makes it far easier to see and hear what is going on.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Stein Grebstad
Jump to: