electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time

poster

Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
How much do you Practice?
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Oskar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
I even tried my hand at a zink.

What dat?

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
DrJustice wrote:
I even tried my hand at a zink.

What dat?

A renaissance wind instrument, aka 'cornett' (not to be confused with 'cornet', which is why zink is a more convenient term). More or less a flute with a trumpet-like mouthpiece. Here's a wiki article. It was in widespread use until around 1700, then the new fangled violin pretty much killed it off.

DJ
--
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I just had a short, fun little jam session on my guitar. I decided to crank down the knob on teaching and rote practice and crank up the knob on fun! So I did a slide practice. I just did slide after slide and nothing else, going from around the 5th fret to the 7th fret on a few strings, especially the 3rd string where my Rock Idols, Jimi Hendrix and Chuck Berry like to slide.

It was very satisfying and I even got to where I could end up on the 7th fret more or less, then I made my own sound. I slid from 5th to 7th fret on string 3 with middle finger, then back from 7th to 5th on string 2 with ring finger, over and over again. It sounded so good that I can imagine it as the basis for a song, perhaps one of my signature gestures in the future of my crude but fun guitar playing. Try it, or imagine it, it sounds pretty good with the two slides and all.

Someone (was it Andy?) said deal to keep practicing, so now.. are you holding up your end of the bargain? haha! Cheers...

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eep! correction, that was slide-pick, slide-pick, with four notes in succession. slide from 5th to 7th on 3rd string with middle finger, then pluck that note, then slide from 7th to 5th on 2nd string with ring finger, then pluck that note, repeat.

You'll find the symmetry of the pick position to be conducive to repetition, and I dunno, but it sounds good to me.

Antimon

Audio files: 363
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, the best kind of practice is the one where you're having fun. Very Happy

/Stefan

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Someone (was it Andy?) said deal to keep practicing, so now.. are you holding up your end of the bargain? haha! Cheers...

Les

Hi Les,

Yes I am and it is driving me mad a bit.

I am currently practicing all the major and minor scales and trying to get both hands playing the same notes. It may take some time Crying or Very sad

The thing thats killing me about the piano at the moment is how much everything seems to change for each key, I am used to just moving the same shapes up and down the guitar fretboard to change key which seems a sensible arrangement to me.

The piano is causing issues, I keep muttering "whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half" while my confused brain tries to make sense of the note intervals and those stupid black and white keys and my fingers fumble all over the place.

Then I get bored and start bashing away which is much more fun before dragging myself back to scales with a whimper.

Andy
Antimon

Audio files: 363
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I've found out is that I have come to enjoy the endless repetitions that start out with just a lot of mistakes that slowly, slowly disappear one by one. A lot of things I feel I'll never master, but still it's great to come home after a day of terror at work and start hitting those keys over and over and over, probably driving the neighbours insane even though I keep the speakers at low volume (started doing it with headphones but piano scales are not kind on the ears).

I can understand if others (like myself 20 years ago) aren't as easily amused.

/Stefan

Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: