electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Roland Kuit's G2 SoundLab I, The Electronic Studio
Page 6 of 12 [276 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an email from 9 days ago saying he was changing some stuff and would send it next week, I haven't received anything yet though.
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i was troubling with my arm and going in/out the hospital every day for ergo and fysio. but i'll send them asap.
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roland kuit wrote:
i was troubling with my arm and going in/out the hospital every day for ergo and fysio. but i'll send them asap.
Ouch! Hope you're feeling better...
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roland kuit wrote:

Stay on top of that treatment. I have an issue with my arm which is mostly caused by mousing & using the keyboard too much. Some minor adjustments in my workbench help minimize it, but today's work environments are anything but ergonomic.

memoryshell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey roland ... get well soon ..
hope to get the dvd soon.
BTW if u have access to it, I highly recommend some sort of qigong exercise. These are really helpful in curing RSI and any pain caused by bad posture.
As a taichi practitioner for 5 years, I can vouch for qigong exercoses being an incredibly powerful healing method, and unlike the full taichi form is really easy to learn.
Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smile Elvis has left the building Smile
so i hope the post will be quick.
thanx for your patience. from now on it will go smoother.
i exercize every day with tai chi too!

1/Basic I:
basics of the electronic studio
oscillators
lfo's
adsr's
filters
building a basis synth
building of famous synth's
like the mimi moog, ms 20. arp 2600, ems synthi
(with video's and sound of the hardware versions)

2/Basic II:
additive synthesis
Sync
Vosim
Formanten
FM synthese
Phase Distortion
Cross modulation
Wavetable synthesis
Physical modeling
Phase-lock
Wave terrain synthesis
Granulaire synthesis

3/Amplitude and Ring Modulation:
side bands
tremolo effect
echo effect
complex circuits
rm and filtering
rm and feedback
control signals and rm
rm and gating

4/Sample&Hold:
pitch modulation
filter modulation
panorama modulation
gate modulation
complex circuits

5/Audio Processing:
reverbs, echo's, clipping, distortion etc.
complex circuits
famous audio processors

6/Programming House/Techno I:
sequencers and pattern generators
fase difference
sound design

7/Programming House/Techno II:
pitch and rhythm
complexer circuits
humanizing
glitch,idm
famous machines

8/Programming Experimental Music I:
random
minimal
feedback
conceptual
political
noise and screack machines
drones
music machines
9/Logic:
on-off modules, not on-off modules and other circuits

10/Tips&Tricks:
other circuits

11/History of Electronic Music and instruments:
from 1950 till now(experiments, music, audio art)
with sound fragments
electronic instruments, software and studio's
(with thanks to Peter Hoeks. Interface)
Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there is still some confusion about the tutorial.
it is not a dvd for a dvd player, but it is on dvd because the amount of data. the tutorial is in html. you can open it in your internet browser and go by a click on the picture(with hyperlink) to the G2Demo/editor.
there a some vids. when you click the picture, they will open in your media player.

Last edited by Roland Kuit on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
cappy2112

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roland kuit wrote:
Smile Elvis has left the building Smile
so i hope the post will be quick.
thanx for your patience. from now on it will go smoother.
i exercize every day with tai chi too!

I got my DVD today (I'm in the USA).
That was quick for mail this time of year.

I can't find the Elvis patch though, nor the Tai Chi tutorial Wink

Quote:

from now on it will go smoother

Does this mean you're already working on Part 2, or another project?? Smile

Thanks Roland - Good Job

Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elvis was in deep meditation.
my hand is the most important job now, but im starting up a follow up and for an ems softsynth clone a tutorial too.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roland kuit wrote:
elvis was in deep meditation.
my hand is the most important job now, but im starting up a follow up and for an ems softsynth clone a tutorial too.

Good to hear that your hand is doing better.

That follow up sounds interesting too. Ems' are quite rare and especially here, so any enlightenment would surely be welcome.

memoryshell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

got the dvd today, and went through it a little.
It seems to be very well organized and easy to follow, and packed with tons of information.
Have to say that though I waited a long time for it, definitely was worth it, and am very excited Smile

thanks Roland.
ark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DVD came a couple of days ago, and I've dipped into it a few places at random.

My first observation is that it's pitched at what I think is just the right level.

It assumes that you know the mechanics of creating and using G2 patches--something that the G2 manual itself describes in gory detail--and that you know something about the rudiments of synthesis, but are not an expert. So the beginning parts of the tutoral cover a fair amount of stuff I already know. The coverage is nice and clear, and I particularly like the little animated graphs that show how various waveforms are made up from the constituent harmonics.

About half-way through the first page of the tutorial, it starts covering ideas that although I may have understood them in principle, I did not grasp the ramifications.

For example, I already knew that the G2 includes an ADSR envelope in which each of A, D, S, R can be modulated by a control input. However, it never occurred to me how much sound variation results from taking those control inputs and connecting them to LFO outputs! As another example, it had not occurred to me to use a pair of level scalers to give different amplitudes to the left and right channels depending on what note you play, so that the pitches spread themselves out over the stereo field the way they would if you were sitting at a piano keyboard.

And that's just part of the first of about eight chapters. It's clear that I have a lot of studying ahead of me ...
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Roland,

I am happy to hear that you have started shipping your tutorial thumb up .

I also hope your health improves, that's the most important thing.
/Dasz

(Cycling log - https://www.strava.com/athletes/5681257 )
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Roland Kuit's G2 tutorial Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

See the opening line of this thread...
roland kuit wrote:
Round x-mass. my dvd will come out. ...
Well, Roland kept his word Wink

Wout
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Roland,

Glad to hear you've sorted the shipping and paypal malarcky out. All being well I'll be having one of these off you in the new year, xmas has put a very serious dent in the budgets for now though and I echo what Dasz says, hope your issues get better soon. Smile

Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heej guys, thanx! everybody of this forum:
a nice x-mess Rolling Eyes and a very happy 2010!!! Cool

(now its the time for this kind of wishes and sending dvds Very Happy )
memoryshell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey guys,
Now that Ive had this tutorial for a few weeks, just wanted to say that its really an amazing source of information. Not only that actually, it is one of the most valuable and practically useful tutorials I have read or seen.

I have been trying to get my hands on a well-organized and rich source of information on synthesis for a few years now, with little or no success.
Some sources I found (specifically some thru this forum) that though were packed with lots of information, were presented in a confusing manner. They may be easier for a seasoned synthesist to follow, but they just ended up confusing me more than I would have been had I just tried to figure it out on my own.

Others though well presented were not directly relevant to the G2 but rather to the original NM, and were workable but not ideal.

And lastly, some books I purchased or downloaded, like "The Synthesizer Cookbook" or "How to Make A Noise" were just downright useless pieces of crap.

I'd like to give credit where its due, and I feel Roland has been very generous in sharing his knowledge gathered over many years of (irreplaceable) experience, which in my experience others are just not as generous about sharing. He goes way beyond just explaining the basic theory, and a lot of thought has obviously been put into how the tutorial is designed and the information presented in a step-by-step manner.

This is from the point of view of a novice synthesist, for whom Roland has really helped in getting a step closer to converting all the theory one encounters about synthesis into something practically useable on a day-to-day basis. Also, I have used my G2 more in the last month than I did in the year before Smile.
ark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

memoryshell wrote:
And lastly, some books I purchased or downloaded, like "The Synthesizer Cookbook" or "How to Make A Noise" were just downright useless pieces of crap.
I do not think that The Synthesizer Cookbook is a useless piece of crap. It has a number of suggestions for patches that are well worth trying as starting points for imitating the sounds of acoustic instruments, and my copy came with a CD of 700 or so samples of kitchen appliances being used as percussion instruments. I think the CD alone was worth the price of the book.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roland, I sent you a PM about an order.
Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Embarassed wow, thank you memoryshell Very Happy
i have not read those books, but i dont think you can compaire these with my tutorial. they where writen in an other time with an other technology.
Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have changed a lot in the tutorial. i added more stuff(patch examples/explenations and in the chapter history).
it has become huge now.

Last edited by Roland Kuit on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Roland, is it possible to download the changes for those of us with the original?

Cheers

Andy
Roland Kuit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi andy, only for the chapter history of elec music. this was because it goes more international and bigger then i expected.
thats why i did a completely make over, more international examples. but the rest is spread over the other chapters.
so all chapters must be downloaded then.....
not possible, i'm afraid.
I was started writing SoundLab II, but i thought some ideas belonged in
SoundLab.
in SoundLab II, i will write about synthesis from a different angle,
so a realy different tutorial in that perspective.
but the tutorial you have is, i think, is perfect because most about synthesis is covered and well explained in this,
but i wanted go even beyond the concept of this tutorial, but then it would be to much to grasp.
friends and my girlfriend/manager told me to stop!
the rest is for
SoundLab II.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roland kuit wrote:
i have changed a lot in the tutorial. i added more stuff(patch examples/explenations and in the chapter history).
it has become huge now.
so the new price(exept for all orders i already have):

the CD costs E49.50 ex post and packages.
please put next to CD your language.
you can order it at paypal, to
link removed by mod
sending costs netherlands E 7,-
sending costs europe E 7,70
outside europe E10,45

It's really a shame that you can't make this available by downloading an ISO image. It's a much greener solution and saves everyone time. No more trips to the post office for the sender, no paper/plastic/gasoline/jet fuel wasted on shipping (except with the few who don't have access to a fast connection)

cappy2112

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roland kuit wrote:
hi andy, only for the chapter history of elec music. .

Roland sent me a PM with the update to the History Of Electronic Music. For those of you who have paid for the tutorial and are interested in the update, send Roland a PM.

Thanks Roland!

Page 6 of 12 [276 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: