electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
110-115V to 220-230V or visa versa
Page 3 of 4 [76 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One thing is luck, the exact moment of switch on relative to the current phase angle of the mains voltage determines what will happen.

The other thing may be that the mains voltage happened to be a bit on the low side in one occasion and a bit on the high side in another, there can easily be a deviation of like plus 5% or minus 10% relative to the nominal voltage.

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, the step-down voltage convertor may not be well regulated (especially if is just a passive step-down transformer), which could result in the output being more than 115V.

But, with a proper 250ma Slow-Blow type fuse, you should be good to go.

re

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys - newbie here, not to Nords, but to swapping voltages and the like. I recently moved from Canada to Australia and brought along my Electro 2 and a Nord Piano. Each have switches for voltage, no problem there. However, I'm trying to source new fuses.. the back of each Nord states "115V 300mA". Wondering if I should be looking for 150mA fuses for each? Any help appreciated, thx!
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah that should work, make sure they are slow blow (T Type).

and welcome

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello re Exclamation welcome to the electro-music forum Exclamation

Yes, for a 230VAC mains, 150mA slow blow fuses are what you need to replace 300mA fuses used for 115VAC.

Now that’s one hell of a relocation – Canada to Australia Exclamation Good luck in your new home in the land down under.

re

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks everyone, 150mA seems to have done the trick.
As for the relocation, not gonna lie, it's pretty nice down here right now and it's a welcome change from snow and ice and cold.
Cheers!
ndiiorio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello my friends! I currently bought a Nord Piano 2 in the US! And i am waiting for it to get to my country which is Buenos Aires Argentina! The piano will be 110 and here we have 220 voltage. So I understand I can open the piano and change the voltage but I am somehow confused with the fuse. I should get a 230/250v 125mA slow bow fuses (T Type)? or 150mA? I saw in the second post that after 2000 nord products for 220 is 125 right? And whats all that about the types? I will be greatful with the answer! I want to be prepared when my piano gets here! I don't want to break something :S jajaja thanks!
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Re. the fuse .. slow blow means that it will stay alive when you switch the synth on ... and the worst thing that can happen is that the fuse blows (when you correctly switched the device to the right voltage of course ;-) )

Removed your duplicate post BTW.

ndiiorio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So am I correct with the fuse? I think they delete my post because I don't find it! Sorry for the double post!
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I removed it Wink

And yes you are correct about the fuse.

If still not certain look what fuse is in it now, and divide the mA or A rating by 2 ... so if it now says 300 mA you'll want 150 mA ... and when it now says 250 mA you'll want 125 mA ...

When the value is on the low side the fuse may blow occasionally, but it is not too critical and it will not damage anything, just up it a bit when it blows occasionally.

rjp2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm in montreal canada what is the proper fuse for me to use on my nord rack? the back sticker says 115V 250mA slow blow but the one currently inside says 1/4A 250V and looks like a regular fuse.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes .. 1/4 A == 250 mA Shocked Laughing
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In case the preceding explanation was not clear: The voltage rating on a fuse doesn't matter as long as it's higher than the voltage you're using. So if you need a 250 mA 110V fuse, you can use one marked 250 mA or 1/4 A, which are equivalent, so long as the rating is 110V or more (i.e. you shouldn't use a 6V fuse, because it's not guaranteed that if that fuse blows, it will really interrupt a high-voltage circuit). So a fuse marked 250 mA at either 125V or 250V will work fine.

As for fast-blow vs. slow-blow: If you substitute a fast-blow fuse for a slow-blow one, it may blow when it shouldn't. If you substitute the other way around, a fault might fry your circuitry where the fast-blow fuse might have protected it. So if a slow-blow fuse is acceptable, you shouldn't worry about what kind of fuse you have unless it blows; then replace it with a slow-blow Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That last issue got resolved in the chatroom BTW ... turned out to not be a fuse problem but a MIDI related problem Rolling Eyes
jonah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so i was at radio shack to buy a 250 mA fuse for a nord modular g2 and i noticed they all had amp ratings as well Surprised ....what's the right one to get? thanks.

oh did i confuse 250v with 250 mA uhhg. Embarassed too tired.

note to self don't insert fuse holder without fuse. Shocked that is not a safe place to keep it!
docsample

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: help with UK to USA fuse Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi, read this thread and have a clarifying question.

i recently purchased a UK nord g2 engine over ebay so i am in the usa on 120V.

opened the case and flipped the switch over to 115V no problem.

i am having trouble sourcing the correct fuse according to this thread. the g2 came with a 250V 125mA fuse. the local radioshack did not have a 125V 250mA fuse but the seemingly knowledgeable guy at the shop said i should be okay with the 250V fuse as the device will only draw 115V.

is this correct and i don't need a new fuse? i am waiting to turn on the device until i can find out for sure. thanks in advance!!!!
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The short answer : yes.

The longer one: go up a couple of posts to ark's.

And also welcome docsample

docsample

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks. will try this one out then. i read ark's post but he didnt' talk about the current so wasn't sure. thanks for the help.

edit: all plugged in and working now. thanks for the feedback!
kiwibirch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I've got a Nord Rack 1 from Japan and want to use it here in NZ on 230v.

Looking at the PSU board it has the 110 and 230 jumper points on the PCB but they are not jumperd to any of the possible 110 or 230 settings!

I would have expected to see both 110v jumpers connected as per the initial posts on this topic. Is it possible this unit has a different japan only power supply that doesn't make use of the jumpers on the PCB??

The cover of the main unit on the PCB is grey not blue. It is also marked with 115v 50/60HZ. (and somewhat confusingly a USA sticker!!) I could post some pics if this is not clear..

If I flip the unit over and look at the bottom there is a 100v 50/60hz sticker in silver.
The rear Voltage rating sticker is 115v!! ...

I want to convert it to 230v by soldering the 230v jumper but i'm afraid the PSU is different in this version and might fry itself.

Anyone have any ideas?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is a lot of confusing information indeed ... in the end .. what is on the transformer itself is true .. when that one says 115V only it would be 115V only ... but usually there are two windings that can be put in series or parallel ...

Could you post some pictures of the PSU?

Maybe that would clear it up.

kiwibirch

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Photos, see what you think of them

DSC_0195.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.66 KB
 Viewed:  2108 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DSC_0195.JPG

DSC_0196.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.16 KB
 Viewed:  2081 Time(s)

DSC_0196.JPG

DSC_0197.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.94 KB
 Viewed:  2078 Time(s)

DSC_0197.JPG

DSC_0198.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.72 KB
 Viewed:  2077 Time(s)

DSC_0198.JPG

DSC_0199.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.31 KB
 Viewed:  2066 Time(s)

DSC_0199.JPG

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, well, as I said, the transformer does not lie ...so it seems possible to convert it to 230V.

The odd thing though is that there are no visible jumpers neither the two 110 V ones nor the single 220 V one - I think you should have a look at the other (under) side of that PSU board to see what was done.

edit: added (under)

kiwibirch

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I emailed Clavia and they said the same thing - i.e check the underside of the board. Will have a look today and report back

thanks
kiwibirch

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

removed the board and it has the 110v jumpers soldered on the underside. Picture of underside of board attached.

So i take it then i just remove these two connections and connect for 220v by soldering the inner connections as per the initial diagrams in this thread?

[/img]

DSC_0200.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.2 KB
 Viewed:  2079 Time(s)

DSC_0200.JPG

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool

Riddle solved yeah, remove the two and place the 220V one.

Page 3 of 4 [76 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: