electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
Groups of modules
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next

Would you like to see this feature in future OS updates?
Yes please!
69%
 69%  [ 27 ]
It would be nice, but not essential
30%
 30%  [ 12 ]
I don't care
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not really
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 39

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Groups of modules Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ooo, this voting thing is fun Very Happy hehe

It'd be very useful if you could save a group of modules to a file which appears in the right click menu. When one such file is selected, this group of modules can be placed in the current patch, eliminating the need for copy/pasting from other patches to get pre-programmed groups of modules. For example, a "warm analogue filter with distortion" group of modules could be created to be placed in whatever patch you want at the click on a button.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For the NM Classsic it was possible to open a patch in the editor without sending it to a slot on the synth. I used this feature for the purpose of getting groups of modules into a patch.

On the G2 iit is not possible to open a patch without sending it to a slot,( or I didn't discover how). This makes things very clumsy especially when working on four patches simultaneously. One patch has to be overwritten by a temporary patch, the modules must be copied out and the original patch must then be reloaded.

I think the way it worked on the Classic could be an alternative or part of a solution, especially so because opening a template without having the possibility to preview it would have a somewhat limited usability.

But seriously, I do think that it would be good to have a means to get groups of modules into a patch without the clumsiness that is requiered now.

I'm not sure yet as to what would be the best way to shape such a feature.

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is sorta getting toward hierarchical patches. I know it would be difficult for the developers, but nice for the musicians...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Groups of modules Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afrokid wrote:
Ooo, this voting thing is fun Very Happy hehe

It'd be very useful if you could save a group of modules to a file which appears in the right click menu. When one such file is selected, this group of modules can be placed in the current patch, eliminating the need for copy/pasting from other patches to get pre-programmed groups of modules. For example, a "warm analogue filter with distortion" group of modules could be created to be placed in whatever patch you want at the click on a button.

Sounds smart. In a way that is how most people work anyway.. you know what makes this and that kind of effect within a patch and you often think in hierarchical terms when setting up a patch.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kraken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Groups of modules Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Salud!

Reaktor resolves it in an elegant fashion with modules/instruments/ensembles. It could be great to be able to save "preset" groups, yeah.
W.T.

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: usefull Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes just like in reaktor would be great. Laughing
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
For the NM Classsic it was possible to open a patch in the editor without sending it to a slot on the synth. I used this feature for the purpose of getting groups of modules into a patch.

On the G2 iit is not possible to open a patch without sending it to a slot,( or I didn't discover how). This makes things very clumsy especially when working on four patches simultaneously. One patch has to be overwritten by a temporary patch, the modules must be copied out and the original patch must then be reloaded.

Right-clicking in a patch gives you the opportunity to "save" the patch to a local window, meaning that you can have more than four windows while being connected to the synth. So you can open up a fifth window right after loading four patches and copy/paste more easily with that option.
grimley

G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would love to see this macro idea expanded with user customizable UI components or skins.
For instance you open up a macro template where you can add things like bitmaps, skinnable sliders and knobs etc. You right click on them to assign them to any patch parameter and when you hit tab you flip "Reason style" to the "back" of the UI where you see all your components and cabling as normal.
I think it would be a great marketing gimmick too!!
-grimley
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you are perfectly describing the way I use macros in reaktor. I like it , but It is probably best if the programmers did not implement this. It would open up a whole can of worms that would really change the G2 software as a whole.
Afro88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's probably not much use for it either, except for engine users that program the synth mainly from the computer. Key users would have no need for this - they already have the best UI for tweaking parameters anyway!

Because inherently the key and engine versions are the same, I don't see Clavia implementing this.... maybe for the G3 dsp card? Wink
grimley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only reason I thought of this was that after studying some of the bigger patches on here for an hour or two I still don't have a clue what is going on ... hell, I've got some patches of my own that I load up now and don't know what I was doing!!!! It can be very difficult (at least for my small mind) to follow the signal paths and see the big picture of some of the more complex multi-slot patches. Custom UIs and macros would go a long way to making these patches more usable.

I'm sure there are some patches on this site that are really great but I'll never know because I don't know how to interact with them correctly.

In the meantime I'm going through my own patches and organsing them better so that tweakable controls are all on the left for example and then the guts are on the right seperated by name bars and using different colors etc. You can then hide the cables and your UI controls are all neatly lined up on the left. The big problem with this is that if you want to go back and modify the guts of the patch then the components are no longer in the logical order you designed the patch in.

-g
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

grimley wrote:
The only reason I thought of this was that after studying some of the bigger patches on here for an hour or two I still don't have a clue what is going on ...

Some indeed do have a structure that resembles noodle fractals at best; for such patches abstraction layers would not help a lot.

Zoom in or out and all you get is noodles, everything is connected to everything and parrtial deconstruction or muting certain signals just spoils the whole thing.

This is not meant to say there is no need or use for abstraction (as indeed it's essential for long term comprehension), but just to say that you should not bother too much maybe about not understanding the un-understandable :-)

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
... you should not bother too much maybe about not understanding the un-understandable Smile

That is reassuring. Laughing

Last edited by mosc on Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As a software engineer I can assure everyone here that the step from "storing groups of mosules and connection in files" to a reactor-like Ensemble system is a potentially huge step. Both would be nice, but just the former would be good enough for me, and should not be too hard (given that we already have clipboard capability.)

As for skins: Lord, no! I'd hate to have the Clavia engineers waste their time on stuff like that when there are so many other useful ideas out there.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no idea what is going on in Jan (and others) noodles, they are just there to enjoy IMHO.

As for skins, I have become very fond of the clean, uncluttered, 2D look of The G2 editor.

And Jim, how did the live performance go? I would love to hear about it.
Afro88

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jamos wrote:
As a software engineer I can assure everyone here that the step from "storing groups of mosules and connection in files" to a reactor-like Ensemble system is a potentially huge step. Both would be nice, but just the former would be good enough for me, and should not be too hard (given that we already have clipboard capability.)

I agree, I don't think it would be too hard at all to implement what I stated in my first post, and would be extremely handy for me, and I'm sure alot of other people.
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Multiple levels like macro's in macro's is not at all the Clavia point of view, instead they aimed for one flat user interface without bells, whistles and furry skins.

Still, it should be quite easy to implement a 'save selection to file' and an 'insert from file' command.
Clavia seems to be a little afraid that there would be patches around that are 'silent' when loaded, as these patches need to be inserted into an existing patch. Or they might suddenly make a patch exceed the dsp resources. Which imho is 'koud water vrees' (fear for 'diving into water that might be a bit chilly', not unlike stage fright).
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Groups of modules Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i created different maps, where from i copy a certain groups of modules.
It works perfectly.
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Groups of modules Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roland kuit wrote:
i created different maps, where from i copy a certain groups of modules.
It works perfectly.

What do you mean by "maps"?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

map is dutch for folder.

Jan.
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Groups Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanx Jan Embarassed
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Didn't know whether you were still hanging around or not :-)

Jan.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
I have no idea what is going on in Jan (and others) noodles, they are just there to enjoy IMHO.

You're not alone-at least I don't understand all of them yet. But they are fun to listen to while I'm tweaking other patches.

I've started a Yahoo group for us Lost in Nord ModulationLand" Smile

Last edited by cappy2112 on Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
grimley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just noticed this thread got bumped again and re-read my post above. For those who do want skins and have Cubase SX3: you can create a GUI for your G2 patch using the new midi device panels in SX3. Works quite well.
-g
gomidas

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems that there is not so much improvements that will come out with the 1.40 editor (except the cool patch mutator), but anyway lets say it again!....YES! MACRO IS NEEDED (or right click building block,template clipboard,you can call it as you want....)!!

ps:hope some people at CLAVIA check the wishlist sometimes.... Laughing
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
Jump to: