electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Probably asked before but...where to start?
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jonkull

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Probably asked before but...where to start? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm an owner of 2 fixed path synths (Voyager and Andromeda) and would like to take the plunge into the world of modular synthesis. I'll be putting my Virus Ti up for sale in a few days and will have around $1600 USD to play with...if all goes by plan. I've been looking at Doepfer and Plan-B modules but I'm not sure where to start.

My ultimate goal is to build a larger system that I can make strange noisy 'self generating' soundscapes with. At the same time I'd like something usable right out of the box that I can add to later. Looking at my Voyager as a guide I was thinking a 2 VCO, 2 ADSR, 2 LFO, 2 VCF, 1 VCA, 1 Mixer, 1 VC to MIDI setup just to get a basic synth going. Then when I have money again I'd add some of the stranger bits.

Am I thinking too conventionally? Is there anything people would recommend to start with? Maybe buy 1 VCO, LFO, VCF and ADSR and a couple more interesting modules instead of the second VCO, VCF, etc...
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should consider the dotcom stuff as well. Arrick makes really brilliant stuff. A point to make regarding the Arrick designed gear, he has a very solid understanding of the concept of modularity. The modules seems at times too simple, which they are not.. and the modules fit together in a truly deep way.

As for VCOs, if you want to really go places that a traditional normalized monosynth won´t take you, then aim for at least 4 VCOs at first.

BTW: the dotcom VCOs double as LFOs.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jonkull

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the response. I'll take a look at the dotcom stuff as well.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you are unfamiliar with modular synthesis, then you should check out the patch examples at the dotcom website and the discussion group. There are some very significant features with the overall dotcom module design that might be completely lost on you if you don´t pay some serious attention to the patching styles and basic patching philosophy.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Idea

As for where to start with modular synthesis, the Clavia NM-1 is still a an excellent choice. OK, it is digital but that is not really a problem at all. I have two of these now + the dotcom system and the rest. Shocked Rolling Eyes

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jonkull

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a Nord Modular for a while. It's a great instrument. I had considered picking up another one but decided to go the 'physical' route. To be honest the Nord will probably be cheaper and take up less space.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jonkull wrote:
I had a Nord Modular for a while. It's a great instrument. I had considered picking up another one but decided to go the 'physical' route. To be honest the Nord will probably be cheaper and take up less space.

It will definitely take up less space. However, there really is no creative outlet as immediate as patching a modular. The Nord is great, but you can't add modules - which is the strength of the modular setup - you can add modules as your whims work.

I have been building and buying some modules, to augment my semi modular (Voyager and M5N and Wretch) systems. I only got my first proper modular VCO built recently, as it wasn't really a priority. I've got lots of filters, a wave multiplier, a frequency shifter, some other Blacet modules, and some multiples and stuff to get me from mini to quarter inch and back. My modular side seems dominated by complimentary pieces to my bread and butter sound generators. As I meant it to be. Smile

Home,My Studio,and another view
jonkull

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
It will definitely take up less space. However, there really is no creative outlet as immediate as patching a modular. The Nord is great, but you can't add modules - which is the strength of the modular setup - you can add modules as your whims work.

That's what's appealing about an actual hardware setup. Real cables and knobs that I can touch. I also like the idea of being able to add to it over time.

EdisonRex wrote:
I have been building and buying some modules, to augment my semi modular (Voyager and M5N and Wretch) systems. I only got my first proper modular VCO built recently, as it wasn't really a priority. I've got lots of filters, a wave multiplier, a frequency shifter, some other Blacet modules, and some multiples and stuff to get me from mini to quarter inch and back. My modular side seems dominated by complimentary pieces to my bread and butter sound generators. As I meant it to be. Smile

That's something I was thinking about as well...integrating my system with my other synths. I have a Voyager so maybe I can skip VCOs for now and just buy a couple different filter types and some 'modifiers'. Then use the Voyager as my VCO.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jonkull wrote:

That's something I was thinking about as well...integrating my system with my other synths. I have a Voyager so maybe I can skip VCOs for now and just buy a couple different filter types and some 'modifiers'. Then use the Voyager as my VCO.

I think that makes sense. The Voyager has a lot of control outputs, plus the external audio in. I do wish they had included a pre-filter VCO output but it's not a big deal. The tons of modulation ins and outs make it a good candidate for a modest modular rack to augment it.

Home,My Studio,and another view
jonkull

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well this is what I'm looking at to start...

Livewire: Audio Frequency Generator
Livewire: Dalek Modulator
Livewire: Dual Bissell Generator
Livewire: FrequenSteiner Multimode Filter
Livewire: Vulcan Modulator
Doepfer A-131 VCA
Doepfer A-138 4 channel mixer
Doepfer A-143-2 Quad ADSR
Doepfer A-180 Multiples
Doepfer A-190 Midi/CV interface
Doepfer A-100G6 6U Case w power supply
Assorted cables.

I'm not sure about what else I'd need though. I've noticed from googling that a lot of people have multiple mixers, VCAs and various switches in their setups. So I'm wondering if what I have above is enough to start with (will it make sound out of the box) or are there essential modules that I'm missing or need (not want) more of?

When I have money again I'll be adding:

Doepfer A-150 Dual Voltage Controlled Switch
Doepfer A-160 Clock/Trigger Divider
Doepfer A-A-161 Clock/Trigger Sequencer
Doepfer A-A-162 Dual Trigger Delay
telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds incredible to me! I'm not intimately familiar with doepfer stuff, but your notion to get some manglers before more vco's, etc. was a good one. in my humble opinion. Good luck.
mark

PS - a note on MIDI stepping for analog synthesists/could-be computer synthesists: try KarmaFX.. it's a modular environment and way, way smoother than almost anything I've tried. Anyone else know of any quality digital knobbery?
jonkull

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well originally I was modeling the modular on my Andromeda...3 LFO, 2 VCO, 2 VCF, Ring Mod, S/H, 2 mixers, 3 ADSR, 1 VCA. Then I decided that if I'm going to build a modular it should sound vastly different from my other synths otherwise what's the point. I just ordered my Livewire modules today. Next month if ebay is good to me I'll pick up the Dopefer stuff.
telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds like you're totally on point in my book! new sounds! shit, im excited for you.. btw i've never heard an andromeda.. how nasty can they get?
jonkull

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

telstarmagikistferrari wrote:
sounds like you're totally on point in my book! new sounds! shit, im excited for you.. btw i've never heard an andromeda.. how nasty can they get?

Yeah, I'm excited too. Right now all the Livewire stuff is pre-order so it's giving me time to want other things. I keep playing with this damn thing: http://mega.modularplanner.co.uk/standard.html I just hope someone buys my Virus Ti soon so I can pay for this stuff.

The Andromeda is a great instrument. It can be as smooth or as harsh as you want it to be. Some people describe it as a modular in a keyboard because it has extensive mod routings. Anything can pretty much modulate anything else. Though for a synth covered in knobs it still requires a lot of menu diving.
dkcg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go for the Doepfer A-132-3 instead of the A-131. It's a newer design and much better.
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: