electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 sound-demos and Roland System 700
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
G2-JARRE

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: G2 sound-demos and Roland System 700 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It could be great to hear some more sound-demos from G2.

Is it possible to make Roland System 700(maybe not the sound) but module for module will that take to much power.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don´t own a G2, but I have just started out with an NM1 ( classic ). You can get familiar Roland sounds.. like the SH-3 and 5, but also System 100 / 100m and 700 from it. No problem at all. I don´t really see the point of modelling the actual synths with the G2. In order to get the Roland sounds you would partly work this by ear and not by building.. say.. a system 100.
What I am using the NM1 for right now is building old style modular patches like what you would do on a Format, a system 100/ 100m or the System 700 .. some of the patches are for use in old style sequencer tunes. However. I cannot quite see why anyone would build a copy of a 700 in the G2 or classic.. a far better synth is in there already. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
G2-JARRE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the idea of Nordmodular and I will not only make classic synths on it also new.

But for fun i made it in the editor if someone like to try out I can not use it before I get my G2x.
It is big maybe to big.

Roland System700.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Roland System700.pch2
 Filesize:  5.88 KB
 Downloaded:  1408 Time(s)

G2-JARRE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One the idea was to have a output from each waveform as on System700.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know how you patched that up. It is to big for my G2, over 100% DSP. Nothing is connected up in your patch either, so it doesn't play. What's the point of posting this patch? Why not wait until you get your G2 and then post a patch that you can play?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G2-JARRE, I guess you just cannot wait until you get your hands on your G2!? Very Happy

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Many old synths had simultanous output of various waveforms from the same VCO. This one.. the CAT ( Octave Electronics ) had this too. It had a "waveform mixer" with sliders. The Octave Cat II/srm is a classic.
Quote:
Octave released this analog classic - the Cat - during the era of the Minimoog and ARP Odyssey synthesizers. The Cat is actually very much like the ARP Odyssey, so much so that ARP had sued them in the late 1970's for cloning their designs. The Cat is a monophonic/duophonic analog synthesizer with 2 oscillators capable of square and sawtooth waveforms. VCO 1 also has a triangle waveform. Each of the waveforms can be played simultaneously and mixed together and there are additional sub-octave oscillators on each oscillator to blend new and interesting sounds.

The original Cats were purely monophonic, but then came the SRM update which added the duophonic (2-voice) capability. The Cat (SRM) has a 2-note sample-and-hold feature for each voice too! The Keyboard can be switched between 2-voice (poly) and 1-voice (mono) modes. In mono mode the 2 oscillators can be stacked for a rich mono-bass or mono-lead synth sound. Poly mode limits the richness of the sound because each VCO becomes a separate dedicated voice. In this mode you can create slightly more complex melodies with overlapping notes or very basic pads. The sub-osc plays at an octave below the actual note played which nicely adds some warmth or bottom to your sounds.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Cat SRM, my first synthesiser, if you don’t count the piece of sh.t Hillwood I bought when I was 13.
Actually, mixing waveforms from the same oscillator is not as useful as it first appears, from a tonal point of view. When using the oscillator as an LFO however, mixing varying amounts of square and sub-octave created a rudimentary 4 note sequencer. The CAT was a lot of fun but I was never very happy with the sound. It was very inexpensive, compared to ARP, Moog and even Roland.

Re System 700, I would say you can’t really emulate a fully patchable synthesiser because it has no fixed configuration (just like the G2) an empty G2 patch is a perfect match for a system 700 with nothing connected Very Happy . In terms of module count, at a guess, I would say the G2 was at least equivalent to between 2 and 3 complete System 700’s.
Varies a lot depending on exactly what you are doing.

Having said you can’t emulate a fully patchable synthesiser, I do have a half finished VCS3 complete with matrix patch panel, it works, but is a strange way of patching and I am not sure I will ever complete it. Maybe if future upgrades make the matrix a little less cumbersome.
G2-JARRE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have made a new one still like System700 but with 9 osc and not 36 as the other one and some other things but it look great and I will work on it when get my G2x.
And this time it is connected so it will sound now but I will wait to post it.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
The Cat SRM, my first synthesiser, if you don’t count the piece of sh.t Hillwood I bought when I was 13.
Actually, mixing waveforms from the same oscillator is not as useful as it first appears, from a tonal point of view. When using the oscillator as an LFO however, mixing varying amounts of square and sub-octave created a rudimentary 4 note sequencer. The CAT was a lot of fun but I was never very happy with the sound. It was very inexpensive, compared to ARP, Moog and even Roland.

I fully agree on the waveform mixing. It is OK to have it there, but it is not as useful as one might think.. but you can use it for some subtle variation. personally I found the CATII to have a magnificent sound and it many of the highprofiled models from wellknown brands were kind of disappointing after I got the CAT. however, my CAT was labelled CATII .. the srm was to be found on the backpanel. I have heard from others that the sound form the CAT actually could vary a lot .. so either they did small changes in the model without telling anyone.. or they had issues with the quality control during production. I thought I knew everything about this synth but now I am a bit confused about the distinctions between the CAT2/CATSRM/CATII/CATIIsrm.

And they could indeed sound different.

g2ian wrote:
Re System 700, I would say you can’t really emulate a fully patchable synthesiser because it has no fixed configuration (just like the G2) an empty G2 patch is a perfect match for a system 700 with nothing connected Very Happy . In terms of module count, at a guess, I would say the G2 was at least equivalent to between 2 and 3 complete System 700’s.
Varies a lot depending on exactly what you are doing.

The 700 was a grand system... very kool.. but I would imagine the obvious way to "copy" sounds from the 700 would be to to go for the actual patch and signal path and then just ignore the rest not in use. That is at least what I am doing right now with the NM1.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There was a CAT synthesizer at the NM Event in The Hague in July. I played it a while. I thought it a nice machine. I was surprized I hadn't run across them until 2004. I guess I've lived a sheltered life. Shocked

Anyway, I agree oscillator waveforms aren't where it's at. Changing oscillatore waveforms is what gives a sound its interest and personality.

Yes, mixing 3 LOF square waves makes a nifty 8 note sequencer, except that the triggers are missing. Still, in lots of applications that's not a big set back. The complexity of the melodic line is actually much more interesting that a continuously repeating 8 note sequence you'd get from a step sequencer, and the rhythms could be varied too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: