electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Let's see your Lunetta!
Page 15 of 22 [526 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, ..., 20, 21, 22 Next
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deadbeat wrote:

Also, if someone can help me finding enclosure as Rf's ones, it should be great !

thanks !

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bud-Industries/AC-412/?qs=CQy37LO2zRm%252bMHeb04ZMBw%3d%3d

sndbyte

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deadbeat wrote:
i was wondering,
Quote:
sndbyte
, painting breadboards isn't a problem ? I suppose you do that before soldering, so, does paint goes to the other side ? Do you have a trick ?

Also, if someone can help me finding enclosure as Rf's ones, it should be great !

thanks !

When I painted my proto boards, I just used a light spray of black model paint. Don't give it a heavy spray because you will clog up the holes. Just 2 light spray applications of paint and it should look good.
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
, painting breadboards isn't a problem ? I suppose you do that before soldering, so, does paint goes to the other side ? Do you have a trick ?

I have been using a permanent marker for all my perfboard projects, doesn't clog up the holes and you get a nice shiny finish.

Another approach is to solder in all the parts that are not visually important, spray paint the entire board and then add things like led's, knobs, headers and switches. Like this:

HPIM1715.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.83 MB
 Viewed:  417 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

HPIM1715.JPG

noise
jean bender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, this is cool !
thanks for all your answers, guy !
i'll go for it, soon !
i think i'll have finished my first lunetta module next monday, so... i'll send you a pic of it.

ps : your pots, tjookum seem to be good stuff, could you tell me where you buy them ? Actually i work with mini alps pots, but they don't fit in the protoboard, i mean i can only solder the three main lug...

www.electroncanon.org
tjookum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They feel and look pretty fragile but my first ever module, a quad oscillator still works just fine after more than a year. .They are piher PT15, most suppliers sell the shaft seperately and they also come with a thumbwheel.
I use them for quick prototypes and they are great when working on perfboard but for a finished device I would definately use real metal potentiometers

Im still looking for a supplier who sells these in different values:http://www.adafruit.com/images/medium/bbtrimpot10K_MED.jpg

noise
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I figured I would post this here since it is 90% lunetta, but with more traditional controls (keyboard and pots).

12x40106 oscillators divided with 12 4040's to make all the notes on the keyboard. I do that twice, so there is a 16' and 8' voice.

Then there are some other filters and an lfo mentioned in the video - pretty much all cmos based with the exception of two opamps used for mixing.

It is still in the works, and I have lots of plans for the rest of the pots on the salvaged eq Smile
garcho

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: CMOS, Whales and Bikes Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been messing around with CMOS oscillators (and guitar effects pedals) for about a year or two, thanks to Nicolas Collins and his fabulous book, Handmade Electronic Music, as well as the entire electronic music DIY internet community - MFOS, Folk Urban, Beavis Audio, Small Bear, Tonepad, GGG, PAIA, etc. electro-music, I regret to say, has only been a recent find for me. Browsing the wisdom and exciting ideas here has now become an addiction.
So, I'm proud to say, this is my first post, and although I don't have any good pictures yet, I have some video of my Lunetta-ish circuits in action. It's a basic CMOS oscillator with an LFO-controlled pulse, an LDR-controlled pitch and an LDR-controlled envelope follower (basically a modded Jack Orman's Dr. Quack with a LDRs shunted across the pots). I was asked by opera-matic, a music and art street performance organization, to come up with a lo-fi 'whale song synth' for a bicycle-and-foot-powered whale float. So I used LDRs and the envelope follower to mimic the pitch and shape changes of whale sounds, and CMOS tone creation obviously guarantees lo-fi. I connected a foot unit with a guitar cable to the main unit, so that way the voice is triggered by stepping on a momentary-close switch, thereby freeing the hands of the performer to control the LDRs, and be more expressive. There is a 'satellite' bike with the whale-synth performer hooked up to a wireless unit going into whale float speakers and the main PA at the Hideout Block Party (a one-day annual music festival at a favorite Chicago venue, 'The Hideout').
The idea behind the whale float comes from a legendary 'lonely whale'. A team of California scientists have been recording whale sounds for decades and have discovered a whale, or whales, with a particularly unique whale song - one that never gets answered... that is, until... Andrew Bird starts speaking to it with his violin. Ack, just watch the video. Smile

Inside the float are two projectors with audio inputs that control certain parameters (I didn't have anything to do with any of the whale design outside of the whale-voice; I'm a hack - but the building, lighting and mobile sound engineers are geniuses!). Isn't that cool?! There's about 12 people with adjustable painters' poles attached to the ribs, which are made out of PVC piping, a bike for the head, and two people on the tail. opera-matic's audio engineer timed the speakers out so the people close to the whale heard the voice first, then it was relayed to the PA. Crazy, right? Anyway, I'll post some pics and schemes soon. Thanks to everyone at e-m for being so inspiring!

there's more here

Andrew bird met a whale - YouTube.mp4
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Andrew bird met a whale - YouTube.mp4
 Filesize:  11.04 MB
 Downloaded:  363 Time(s)

Last edited by garcho on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:43 am; edited 4 times in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: MO_ondisc0.O Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Johannessy wrote:
i just made a little video:

sorry it's really bad quality. but crazy sounds and colourful Very Happy

Great video - I love it. Great sounds and paint job on that Lunetta.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tjookum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was very cool garcho! I have always loved whale songs and I've had a few fortunate "accidents" with cmos wich came close but nothing like your sounds. Can you post the schematic?
noise
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi garcho, first of all:
welcome
to electro-music.com Smile

the whale sounds great, I wouldn't mind taking a peek at the schematic either.
Is it pure CMOS sounds or is it going trough an effects pedal ?

Praise Bob!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
garcho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks y'all, what a friendly place!

It's a CMOS chip making the tone, but it's going through an envelope follower and some reverb (gotta have verb!). There's also a Pac-Man Noise Machine I made for a different bike float that's based on Sebastian Tomczak's CMOS sequencer and arpeggiator. I'll put the pics, sound samples and schemes up when I get the units back from the performers, I was just too excited to not post something first Wink
Last night I built my first 'key', as in keyboard key. It's made out of scraps of cedar wood, some bolts, a couple screws, some wire and a spring. I'm all jacked up about making a Lunetta with a wooden keyboard controller. Square wave power!

jcintheus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: First Lunetta
Subject description: a photo
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been lurking here awhile. Found lots of useful information, and this is what I came up with. I couldn't have done it without your help. Thanks!

DSC00044.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.39 MB
 Viewed:  358 Time(s)

DSC00044.JPG

Picture 5.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  253.37 KB
 Viewed:  485 Time(s)

Picture 5.png

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: First Lunetta

jcintheus wrote:
this is what I came up with.

nice! and welcome :-)

jcintheus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!
Here's a sound sample.
http://soundcloud.com/bill-chavez/chopper-tart
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds nice too :-)
sndbyte

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: First Lunetta

jcintheus wrote:
I've been lurking here awhile. Found lots of useful information, and this is what I came up with. I couldn't have done it without your help. Thanks!

Wow, that looks pretty nice. How did you make the panel? Is it acrylic?
garcho

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: whale mouth vs. R2D2 and the pac man death ray Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey y'all,

Here's some pics and sound files, DIY amplified by a 9V battery in a tin shoebox, recorded with the built in mic on my laptop for optimum hi-fi standards. I ran out of time for drawing up the schematics before going out of town for a long time, so it might be a few months before I get those up here. They're basically common internet DIY community schematics and designs, modded to fit the gig.

I've really been digging Johannessy's and jcintheus' posts, bravo!

mouth box 1.JPG
 Description:
for the whale float
 Filesize:  926.96 KB
 Viewed:  193 Time(s)

mouth box 1.JPG

noise arp.JPG
 Description:
for the pac-man-like fish float
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Viewed:  201 Time(s)

noise arp.JPG

noise arp L.mp3
 Description:
pac man noise machine

Download
 Filename:  noise arp L.mp3
 Filesize:  1.82 MB
 Downloaded:  738 Time(s)

mouth machine.mp3
 Description:
the whale float voice, without processing. i drank too much coffee before recording this.

Download
 Filename:  mouth machine.mp3
 Filesize:  869.84 KB
 Downloaded:  732 Time(s)

jcintheus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Wow, that looks pretty nice. How did you make the panel? Is it acrylic?

Thanks! I drafted up the layout in AutoCad, printed it onto paper, taped the paper to the acrylic, drilled the holes, and used the holes to line up the labels. The labels were printed on clear sticker paper for inkjet printers.(not recommended)

DSC00025.JPG
 Description:
here's a work in progress photo
 Filesize:  1.36 MB
 Viewed:  220 Time(s)

DSC00025.JPG

tjookum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really like what you've made jcintheus. There are some IC's in there that I have in my stash but never even got a spot on the breadboard.

So the 4020 is basically a 4040 with larger divisions? Thanks, I didn't know that. Wich IC in there do you use most?

And more sounds are always welcome, Im still surprised that some recordings can sound so different while we all work with the same basic components.

noise
jcintheus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks tjookum. Time will tell which IC I'll use the most, but as of now I really like the 4006. It is a very versatile shift register. Also, the 4052 is starting to see some use.
Edit: after considering your question all day, I decided to try one of the less used IC's, in this case, the 4089. It "multiplies" the clock frequency by multiples of 1/16. But, it does do in an uneven way so as to give interesting rhythms. While noodling around with the connections I stumbled upon some interesting percussion effects!
http://soundcloud.com/bill-chavez/unexpected-percussion
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome stuff, new fellas! I'm finishing up a lil' beast based on some of the ics from the challenge. Still needs a box though. Anyways, congrats and welcome aboard.
Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

16 step sequencer added to my cmos based synth. It just gates on and off - no pitch control due to the multiple oscillators from the top octave design.

It uses a 4029, which is decoded with a 4514. Currently on a cardboard panel to test the layout before drilling any holes in the case I am using.

Next stop - some delay and then a bunch of filters...

tjookum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is very clever, I really like the idea of using a divider and a rotary switch to get easy tempo changes.

Can't wait to see(and hear) this bad boy finished. One minor comment, please turn up the volume of your lunetta next time, it was kind of hard to hear it in the background.

Wasp%20Filter%20clone-2.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Wasp%20Filter%20clone-2.pdf
 Filesize:  313.47 KB
 Downloaded:  529 Time(s)

noise
Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum wrote:
One minor comment, please turn up the volume of your lunetta next time, it was kind of hard to hear it in the background.

Yes I noticed that. The next video will be showing sound filters, so I will record the sound separately through my computer and add it to the video before uploading.

Thanks for the WASP schematic!
kaputtpanzer

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The latest thing:

Page 15 of 22 [526 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, ..., 20, 21, 22 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: