electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Using a Stripboard as a Final Product
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ChrisSousa9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Using a Stripboard as a Final Product Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, I recently got started into making my own schematics and such on breadboards (About a year ago). So I know they're are about three ways you can make a circuit 1) Breadboard 2) Stripboard 3) PCB. I've always used pre-made PCB whenever I build a circuit, quiet cost consuming if I don't say myself (No offense to any Synth PCBer's, Ray Wilson has awesome PCB's). But I thought about just using stripboard for my synth projects and solder my leads on the bottom. The good thing about this is a save about $20 for buying or designing my own PCB. Of course you run definetly have a lot more on the board itself, And that could lead to some design flaws. Im want to know some of your opinions on this. Is it safe with building Power Supplies on?
"Overprotecting intellectual property is as harmful as underprotecting it. Culture is impossible without a rich public domain. Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire, is genuinely new: Culture, like science and technology, grows by accretion, each new creator building on the works of those who came before. Overprotection stifles the very creative forces it's supposed to nurture." - Alex Kozinski, Ninth Circuit Federal Court of Appeals Judge
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The thing with stripboards is that big projects can become a bit messy and not so fun to maintain or repair. Other than that I see no reason not to use them if it suits you. High speed digital circuits may emit more noise, and some critical analogue circuits may not perform as well, as on a purpose designed PCB with optimal ruoting, ground and power planes etc.. Most synth related circuits should be fine, though. You can safely use stripboards for power supplies too, as long as you are careful with the construction and not too much heat is generated.

DJ
--
kxspxr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have succesfully used veroboard/stripboard on all my DIY projects. Ring modulators, LFO, VCO, VCF and ELF radios. Everything still works to perfection. The drawback is that it can be quite messy and difficult to repair, as DrJustice noted. On the other hand, it's quick and dirty compared to PCB-making, hole drilling etc. I have considered on several occasions to start making PCB using the phototransfer method. It looks easy and I might just look into that between xmas and new year since I have a friend who offered to help me get startet. If I were you I would look into the phototransfer method too... and use stripboard for smaller projects.

I found a straight forward tutorial for phototransfer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQupRXEqOz4

EDIT: You can also consider getting Futurlec to make the PCB's for you. It's actually quite cheap: http://www.futurlec.com/PCBService.shtml

-kasper

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've used stripboard for many projects and they all work just fine. The messiness aspect can be fixed by laying out designs using a layout application like Lochmaster. It makes it easy to design layouts which are compact, noise free, easy to work on, etc. I've used stripboard to build PSUs (like my latest one) and plan on doing a beefed up version which deliver 3Amps per rail. It mostly comes down to using the same kind of design principles which you use in PCB layouts. Plenty of space for hot parts, offboard connections where they are appropriate, sufficient traces for high current etc.
If you don't see the stripboard layout as a "temporary", "make shift", or "rough version" etc. it won't be.
Include proper insulated mounting holes. Mark your cuts with a felt pen before cutting them. Maximise the length of traces connected to Ground and minimise all others.
Use PCB "pins" with heatshrink for off board connections, or .1"molex connectors, or .2" screw down terminals. Count your wire links, and count them again,........ and again. Very Happy
Any issues with noise immunity can be fixed with small brass sheet "Faraday cages" in a way which is actually better than most PCBs. It would be pretty rare though.

picsynth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use stripboard for everything, including a replacement 24v 2amp power supply for my oscilloscope !

In PICSynth all of the boards are stripboards. You can get quite fast at doing layouts using math paper...and pencil.

The only exception I can see is if you are working at high frequencies eg Radio RF work and the capacitances between the tracks become important.
Not a porblem at Synth frequencies.

I don't bother making PC boards, I am usually pulling apart and remaking far to often for that Wink

Kevin

http://www.geocities.com/picsynth
kxspxr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can download DIY Layout Creator and use it on any computer that supports Java. You can use it to layout stripboards before soldering. Oh, and it's free Smile

Linux/OSX/Win:
http://www.storm-software.co.yu/diy/forums.html?project=software

MrUmunhum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Dead link Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kxspxr wrote:
You can download DIY Layout Creator and use it on any computer that supports Java. You can use it to layout stripboards before soldering. Oh, and it's free Smile

Linux/OSX/Win:

This is a dead link. Do you have a current one for Linux?
kxspxr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Dead link Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MrUmunhum wrote:

No sorry. This was the place I found it. I have DIY Layout Creator (multiplatform version) since I use mac, so if your box runs java I can upload the software to my ftp (yes I saved a copy) and post the link here.

Tell me if you're interested.
-kasper

aerogramma

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would be too Wink

thanks!

aero
MrUmunhum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Dead link Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kxspxr wrote:
MrUmunhum wrote:

No sorry. This was the place I found it. I have DIY Layout Creator (multiplatform version) since I use mac, so if your box runs java I can upload the software to my ftp (yes I saved a copy) and post the link here.

Tell me if you're interested.
-kasper

Yes please, I have been trying for days to find it. It happers that the site has lost its Domain Name?
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He's changed the name of his website, it's now here http://diy-fever.com/forums.html?project=software
MrUmunhum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject:  Got it to run but! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

slacker wrote:
He's changed the name of his website, it's now here http://diy-fever.com/forums.html?project=software
OK, downloaded it unzipped it and ran under Java. It comes up but page is blank and no library routines ( library window is blank ).

Do I need to start it with some options? Is there a tutorial somewhere? The help references the old web site.

Sorry to be a pain. This looks like to best fic for my needs.
kxspxr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Got it to run but! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MrUmunhum wrote:
slacker wrote:
OK, downloaded it unzipped it and ran under Java. It comes up but page is blank and no library routines ( library window is blank ).

Do I need to start it with some options? Is there a tutorial somewhere? The help references the old web site.

Sorry to be a pain. This looks like to best fic for my needs.

Sorry for the delay in my reply ... been soldering my pants off the past 2 weeks.

DIY Layout Creator Beta with Library --->
http://www.perlepladesyndikatet.org/temp/diylc_beta.zip

-kasper

MrUmunhum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: I quit! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kxspxr wrote:
MrUmunhum wrote:
slacker wrote:

Sorry to be a pain. This looks like to best fit for my needs.

Sorry for the delay in my reply ... been soldering my pants off the past 2 weeks.

DIY Layout Creator Beta with Library --->
http://www.perlepladesyndikatet.org/temp/diylc_beta.zip

-kasper
Kasper,
Thanks for all of your help but I can't get it to work. I downloaded the last zip file, unzip it and ran 'java -jar DIYLC.jar' and it just when into a loop. This is the output:
$ java -jar DIYLC.jar
Component [Blank Board] successfully loaded from the file /src/DIY_Layout/PBL2/diylc_beta/library/blank-board.xml
Component [Capacitor (Axial)] successfully loaded from the file /src/DIY_Layout/PBL2/diylc_beta/library/capacitor-axial.xml
Component [Capacitor (Ceramic)] successfully loaded from the file /src/DIY_Layout/PBL2/diylc_beta/library/capacitor-ceramic.xml
Killed

I quit. Thanks again and sorry to take up your time.
Sine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I quit! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use matrixboard for about everything I build ... except for projects where reasonable priced boards are available. ( such as MOFS and CGS boards )
Building a circuit on strip/matrix board is VERY time consuming, if I can buy a board for a few bucks I will go for it.

Personally I don't use stripboard, its way too messy for me and compact building is virtually impossible, matrix board is a bit more work but I think it gets a much better result.

Try this on strip :

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

in the electronotes bernie hutchins recommended just surface mounting the parts on an etched PCB, so no drilling is needed. does anybody use this method? i am just curious.
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: