electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Living VCOs
Page 15 of 21 [520 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Next

Would you prefer one PCB with 3 VCOs a la JH-5A, or 1 VCO per PCB with more features
One PCB with Oscillator Driver and 3 VCO cores (like JH-5A - cheap!)
60%
 60%  [ 62 ]
1 PCB = 1 VCO (with many waveforms and inputs)
39%
 39%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 103

bennethos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I solved my problem yesterday evening, as Juergen said "it's a silly problem most of the time" and he was right.

I actually inserted 1 wrong capacitor, the one between the base of the transistor and input of the comparator. 33KpF instead of 22pF

My saw waveform had a dip when it started and when my 10 turn was fully open (no resistance) I had a half trapezium :p .

on vco 2, pin 2 of the TL072 made no contact to anything this gave +14v at the first output of the TL which was not OK, made a little bridge and that solved it as well Smile

can't wait to test those *beasts* Smile
bennethos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: L vco Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Guys,

it's the noob again Smile .

I tested my L VCO'S yesterday evening but I only have 3v pk-pk on each L vco on my scope. My Analogue systems VCO has 10v pk-pk.

I have no CV source attached to the L vco though...

Is this normal ?

btw
the linear detuning is beatifull, I kept on my headphones for 15 min with that same sound just too hear them pound Smile (passed it through an EQ to pump up the low frequencies a bit, amazing)
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: L vco Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you wire up the output amplifier section:

http://www.jhaible.de/living_vcos/living_vcos_wiring_opt3.pdf

bennethos wrote:
Hey Guys,

it's the noob again Smile .

I tested my L VCO'S yesterday evening but I only have 3v pk-pk on each L vco on my scope. My Analogue systems VCO has 10v pk-pk.

I have no CV source attached to the L vco though...

Is this normal ?

btw
the linear detuning is beatifull, I kept on my headphones for 15 min with that same sound just too hear them pound Smile (passed it through an EQ to pump up the low frequencies a bit, amazing)
bennethos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: l vco amplitude
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thx, first project for me so I'm overlooking a lot of things... but i'm a fast learner and this stuff is exciting Smile

Just wired it up, the scope shows 5v now, but it's still too quite when I pass it through the AS VCA.

What I don't get compared to my analogue systems VCO :

- the AS vco goes from -1,3 to +8,8v on the scope
- the L vco goes from -5 to +5 ... this probably explains the difference in volume I get...
nerdware

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

±5V is normal for most VCOs, but the AS VCOs are different. Their website says
Quote:
The output from the SQR-OUT socket is approximately ±5V.

It also says
Quote:
The output from the SAW-OUT socket is -2V to +8V when a true sawtooth wave is produced, and ±2.5V when a triangle wave is produced.

So your LVCO looks good to me. Just accept that AS do it differently.

jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can always change the gain of the amplifiers to get other levels. It's jut one resistor per VCO that would have to be changed.

With the values printed on the PCB, you get +/-5V, which is a widely used standard.

The VCO outputs themselves (without the amps) are approx. Moog Modular level.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
bennethos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thx a lot to you both ! I really have to do more reading Smile
sinneb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just finished one living VCO core and the driver module. Sound great already but I have a question regarding the generated sawtooth. I connected a software oscilloscope and the sawtooth is showing spikes. Is that normal? Or should I check the various components? Since I'm a n00b Wink - could use some suggestions. TIA!

livingvco_osc_saw_spikes.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.8 KB
 Viewed:  26532 Time(s)

livingvco_osc_saw_spikes.png

jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's probably an artefact from your measurement setup.
My guess is: High bandwidth of the scope, connected with a long, un-terminated wire.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
davebr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sinneb wrote:
Just finished one living VCO core and the driver module. Sound great already but I have a question regarding the generated sawtooth. I connected a software oscilloscope and the sawtooth is showing spikes. Is that normal? Or should I check the various components? Since I'm a n00b Wink - could use some suggestions. TIA!

I was going to suggest the same issue with this being an artifact of the probe. However, your ramp waveform looks like it is +8 to -10, or 18 volts pk-pk. Did you want your output that 'hot'. I would have expected something less.

Dave
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh - I didn't look at the scale. Should be +/-5V after the amp, not more.

JH.

sinneb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thx! I connected the oscilloscope to the rightmost pin of the SAW_n connector so the graph should be showing the 0 ... 10V saw from the VCO core. Anyways, I'll start working on the other cores. compare the different outputs and report my findings back here.
sinneb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As promised Smile

Everything's ok now! Borrowed a Tektronix TDS 210 scope from work and these are my results. First the pulse, then the saw and as last the 10V saw. Keep you posted on my progress!

800.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.57 KB
 Viewed:  233 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

800.jpg

vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Fine vs. Detune? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm finally getting around to laying out a front panel. I'm used to VCOs having a 'Fine' frequency pot. What I'm not used to is 'Detune'. Is it redundant to have both?

R.
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fine vs. Detune? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
I'm finally getting around to laying out a front panel. I'm used to VCOs having a 'Fine' frequency pot. What I'm not used to is 'Detune'. Is it redundant to have both?

R.

The Living VCOs use Multi-Turn potentiometers instead of separate coarse/fine tuning. (You could replace the multiturn with two pots and an extra resistor, of course.)

The Linear Detune knob is entirely different, and it's one of the main features of the whole thing. Smile

JH.

vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, thanks. Just wanted to be sure before committing to a panel layout.

R>
davebr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fine vs. Detune? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
vtl5c3 wrote:

R.

The Living VCOs use Multi-Turn potentiometers instead of separate coarse/fine tuning. (You could replace the multiturn with two pots and an extra resistor, of course.)

The Linear Detune knob is entirely different, and it's one of the main features of the whole thing. Smile

JH.

I did mine with coarse and fine controls and also the detune controls. As mentioned, the detune controls work differently from the fine and are a key feature. I did only implement detune on VCO2 and VCO3, though.

There is a video of the detune controls in operation on my site.
http://modularsynthesis.com/jhaible/lvcos/jhlvcos.htm

Dave
oozitron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello -

I'm ready to wire up and fire up my VCOs but suddenly realized I only have 3 100k pots! D'oh!!!

I have a bunch of 50k at the moment, and of course I'll order more 100k pots, but for *right now* are there any of the controls (vib rate, vib amt, pw, pwm, fm) that really have to be 100k, or can I use the 50k thingers until the correct ones arrive?

Desparately Seeking Sawtooths,
Drew
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oozitron wrote:
Hello -

I'm ready to wire up and fire up my VCOs but suddenly realized I only have 3 100k pots! D'oh!!!

I have a bunch of 50k at the moment, and of course I'll order more 100k pots, but for *right now* are there any of the controls (vib rate, vib amt, pw, pwm, fm) that really have to be 100k, or can I use the 50k thingers until the correct ones arrive?

Desparately Seeking Sawtooths,
Drew

50k will be ok.
log pots will give a strange response, but will work electrically.
Make sure you replace them with lin pots eventually.

JH.

oozitron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am confused about the CVS and DRVOUT connections.

I have the CVS normalled (the CVS square hole to the CVS middle hole) since nothing is plugged into the CVS jack.

At the "round hole" of DRV OUT there is +13.5 volts, even if I insert a patch cable and apply at the CVS in jack. Is that normal?

From the wiring examples, I thought that the DRVOUT would take the voltage from the CVS in jack and distribute it to the CVs_1, CVs_2 and CVs_3. But it always is +13.5 volts (???)

huge thanks for any insight,
Drew
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oozitron wrote:
I am confused about the CVS and DRVOUT connections.

I have the CVS normalled (the CVS square hole to the CVS middle hole) since nothing is plugged into the CVS jack.

At the "round hole" of DRV OUT there is +13.5 volts, even if I insert a patch cable and apply at the CVS in jack. Is that normal?

From the wiring examples, I thought that the DRVOUT would take the voltage from the CVS in jack and distribute it to the CVs_1, CVs_2 and CVs_3. But it always is +13.5 volts (???)

huge thanks for any insight,
Drew

Have you connected th eportamento pot already?

JH.

oozitron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, that was the issue Rolling Eyes

I lucked out today... the school where I work had a sewer line break so no school!!! A whole day of quiet empty house to work!

I hooked up VCO1 and it just sounds awesome. Currently working on the wiring for the other two. Can't wait to hear them all at once!

Thanks again Jurgen for the help and the amazing circuit Hail the Master

Drew
frenchyinmunich

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Components list Reichelt Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

Did someone already did the Reichlet's list for that module?

Best regards,

F
norman phay

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got my first one of these all hooked up & running, couple of minor problems - one of the multi-turn pots I bought it faulty! I'll order some more next week. Also, the LFO depth knob only seems to have any effect in the last 1/4 turn of its travel (it is a lin pot, i checked) So I have to take a, look at that, but I must say, just running 2 VCOs, wow it does sound very rich and nice! Once again, many thanks for designing these and making them available to us all...
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Norman Phay wrote:
I got my first one of these all hooked up & running, couple of minor problems - one of the multi-turn pots I bought it faulty! I'll order some more next week. Also, the LFO depth knob only seems to have any effect in the last 1/4 turn of its travel (it is a lin pot, i checked) So I have to take a, look at that, but I must say, just running 2 VCOs, wow it does sound very rich and nice! Once again, many thanks for designing these and making them available to us all...

The behaviour of the vibrato depth pot is intentional - I think I have written about it earlier in this thread. Once you read about the idea behind it, you'll like it that way! Smile

JH.

Page 15 of 21 [520 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: