electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Jez Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Buchla Source of Uncertainty 266
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 9 [225 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Hope I'm not too late - flush that NTE shite.

http://www.abra-electronics.com/products/product.php?productid=677&cat=0&page=1

I like this page:
http://www.abra-electronics.com/products/home.php?cat=105

Laughing Laughing Laughing
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not too late - thanks!!!!!

Scott Stites wrote:
Hope I'm not too late - flush that NTE shite.

http://www.abra-electronics.com/products/product.php?productid=677&cat=0&page=1
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Abra's pretty cool. They got a lot of CMOS, so stock up to meet your minimum. I think I went over $50 once, and they sent me a cool little DMM.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I like this page:

Laughing We bring you this page to irritate and generally annoy you.....

vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:
Oh, also, any vactrols on the 4th board?

nope. only on the third board.
numbertalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Abra's pretty cool. They got a lot of CMOS, so stock up to meet your minimum.

Anything specific you'd suggest?

vtl5c3 wrote:
nope. only on the third board.

Great - thanks!
funkyfarm

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SRV requires +8V +10V +12V +15V AND -15V.

TO-92 regulators are needed (7808 7810 7812) ?
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All of these PCBs only require +/- 15V and GND. The +8V is a typo. +10 is provided by one of the opamps, just like on the original 266. Buchla used +12V for powering LEDs. I just used +15V since that seemed silly to me. No extra regulators required.

funkyfarm wrote:
SRV requires +8V +10V +12V +15V AND -15V.

TO-92 regulators are needed (7808 7810 7812) ?
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ouf !

Very Happy

(I have 2n1711 trannies if you want 12V LED...)
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just got the noise ICs pulls I bought off e-bay some weeks ago. So, if you requested one, now's the time to send me your address-- if you still want it. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that everyone who wanted one will get one-- as I had about twice as many requests as chips-- but I'll honor your requests in the order that I received them. If someone doesn't need it anymore, I'll give it to the next in line.
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: 266 S&H PCB (4 of 4) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, here it is! The last installment of the Buchla 266 press & peel layouts.

Some notes:

1) The original uses a 2N4341 for the portamento JFET. I think that they are now hard to find. I used a 2N4391 and it works just fine.

2) I added pads for optional output LED drivers. The parts are marked with * to emphasize that they are optional.

3) The expo converter on the portamento circuit originally used an AD821 matched pair, now obsolete. I think that I might have used a MAT03 in its place. It's not a critical circuit, so you could get away with 2N3906, BC560, etc... matched or unmatched.

I'll post some mp3s later. I think I still owe you some for the 266 Fluctuating Random Voltages too.

Anyway, I hope that this is of use to some of you. If you build any of the 266 sections, please share your work. I'd like to see how others interpret the SOU for themselves!

266_4_Parts_fixed_ 11132011pdf.pdf
 Description:
PCB 4 - S&H and VC Slew. Fixed errors. 11/13/11

Download
 Filename:  266_4_Parts_fixed_ 11132011pdf.pdf
 Filesize:  2.14 MB
 Downloaded:  304 Time(s)

266_4_PCB_fixed_ 11132011.pdf
 Description:
PCB 4 - Traces. Fixed bugs 11/13/11.

Download
 Filename:  266_4_PCB_fixed_ 11132011.pdf
 Filesize:  1003.79 KB
 Downloaded:  236 Time(s)

Last edited by vtl5c3 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:34 am; edited 3 times in total
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 266 S&H PCB (4 of 4) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
Anyway, I hope that this is of use to some of you.

Is this a joke ? Very Happy

I guess this was the most long-awaited thread in DIY world.
(already etched two boards !)

Thank you.
Luka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks romeo!
ill be building these for sure

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 266 S&H PCB (4 of 4) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
OK, here it is! The last installment of the Buchla 266 press & peel layouts.

Fantastic!!!

I'm starting with board 3 and etching as I write this. thank you so much for sharing this work, this is really exciting!

To those of you who requested a Noise IC:

I'm sorry for taking so long. I've been quite busy with work, etc. lately. I was thinking I'd pack them up tonight and send tomorrow. But, now that I'm working on the board-- it's probably smarter that I test at least one before potentially wasting money on shipping them all out (if for some reason they're no good). It won't take me more than a couple days to get my board 3 up and running (barring any major construction errors). I'll at least get the shipping materials together tonight.

I'll post here who they're going to-- unfortunately I didn't have enough for all who asked for one. Sorry for that. But, most who asked will get one.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I'm just about done populating Board 3, but I'm not sure about the VTLC3 orientation. I never really understood how to read vactrols in schematics-- so I'm not sure about placement on this PCB.

Looking at the VTLC3/4s on the parts placement PDF, I see that the slanted corner corresponds to the + pin of the LED--- but if that's true for the VTLC3, it seems to me that it needs to be placed upside down? I've never had a build where the Vactrol is placed print side down-- so I just want to double check here. Am I completely confused?

Can anyone help me with the orientation of the vactrols on Board 3? I appreciate it.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I got on my own. I wasn't looking close enough at the placement PDF-- it looks pretty clear now. I wasn't using my noodle. It looks like the VTL5C3 Vactrol's "LED" side is facing down when looking right side up at the placement PDF.
numbertalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do these 4 boards connect to each other/are they normalized at all, other than maybe a power buss between them?
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's quite possible that the vactrol is upside down. I don't remember right now. You can trust the orientation on the parts layout, though.

ericcoleridge wrote:
I think I got on my own. I wasn't looking close enough at the placement PDF-- it looks pretty clear now. I wasn't using my noodle. It looks like the VTL5C3 Vactrol's "LED" side is facing down when looking right side up at the placement PDF.
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They don't really connect to one another. They are laid out to be independent of one another. You don't have to build a complete 266 if you don't want to. Of course they can all connect to the same power buss.

numbertalk wrote:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do these 4 boards connect to each other/are they normalized at all, other than maybe a power buss between them?
numbertalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you and thanks for these projects!

vtl5c3 wrote:
They don't really connect to one another. They are laid out to be independent of one another. You don't have to build a complete 266 if you don't want to. Of course they can all connect to the same power buss.

numbertalk wrote:
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
It's quite possible that the vactrol is upside down. I don't remember right now. You can trust the orientation on the parts layout, though.

ericcoleridge wrote:

Does the slanted corner on the vactrol correspond to the LED +? I'll try and research this on my own in the meantime. I thought I had it right, but as of my first quick test of the PCB, it's not working yet.

On another front, I ordered 2n1711s for this project, and they're metal can. According to the datasheet I have, the pin-out fits your PCB, but I curious if you remember if you used 2n1711s?
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Eric,

The slanted corner is the cathode, i.e. the - side. When in doubt, check the datasheet.

As far as troubleshooting goes, have you checked to see if you're getting noise out of the MM5837? I'd start there and work my way down the line.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep, that's where I started. So, it could possibly even be the IC. But, I only spent a minute testing it, so I'll find out more later.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have not had an opportunity to test again yet. But I just noticed that, not my VTL5C3, but my VTL5C3/4s are incorrectly oriented. Unless I'm mistaken, the VTL5C3/4s on this PCB need to be placed print side down.

I only powered the board for a minute, could this have burned the vactrols?

I also wonder if this would explain the Noise section not working?
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure about the vactrols, but if they're like LEDs, it's possible that they are burned out.

I kind of doubt that it would have caused the noise section to fail. If you want to test the noise ICs, you could try breadboarding something like the 5837 circuit on this page:

http://www.decodesystems.com/pink-noise.html

If you were to use that to test the chip, I don't think you'd need to include any of the stuff to the right of the IC's output resistor.

If you can wait until the weekend, I'll pull my 266 out of the cabinet and take photos of the individual boards. Maybe that will help.

R.

[Edit] Another idea: if you have another noise source, you can pull out the 5837 and inject it into the circuit. Remember that I added pads for a jack to allow an external noise input. Just be sure to pull the 5837 out first.

ericcoleridge wrote:
I have not had an opportunity to test again yet. But I just noticed that, not my VTL5C3, but my VTL5C3/4s are incorrectly oriented. Unless I'm mistaken, the VTL5C3/4s on this PCB need to be placed print side down.

I only powered the board for a minute, could this have burned the vactrols?

I also wonder if this would explain the Noise section not working?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 9 [225 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: