electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Front Panels
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
hway23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Front Panels Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All my synth projects have been all to amateur looking because of one problem. FRONT PANELS! ARRG! Shocked I started it with random boxes around my house. Than when I built my soundlab mini, and housed my 8 step sequencer, I cut my panels from sheet metal. (which looks not all that great btw.) So my question is: Is there a place (like home depot?) where I can by pre cut aluminum rectangles? And for under $15? ( I am going to start building my fully patchable modular soon I hope ) Very Happy
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try and find a local aluminium supplier.
My closest one is in Coffs Harbour, which is a bit of a drive, but when I get there,....
They cut any sheet, angle etc. to size on the spot (square and to the nearest mm!) and they still end up %20-30 cheaper than any hardware store.

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get aluminium panels cut to size from scrap 'drops' at a nearby metal fabrication shop. They charge me one dollar per panel for 1/8 inch metal.

I used to just buy the 'drops' and cut them to size myself - it was marginally less expensive that way - but I have a better chance of not losing any of my digits by having them do it.

bruce

[EDIT] The panels I have them cut are are generally 10.5 *2.25 * 1/8 inch aluminium

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)

Last edited by RF on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
mark_olson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get .080 5052 aluminum sheet in 6" x 48" pieces for about $10.00 from cutsmetal.net. Since I am totally making stuff up as I go, so far haven't used a standard width for anything, but everything IS 6" high.

From what it says on their Web site you could probably have them cut pieces to size for a small charge.

Mark
KaZpeR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

front panel express

why don't you make it look good...
ChrisSousa9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OnlineMetals.com can get you custom cut sheet metal. I bought some for my WSG project for about $12 for custom cut including S&H
"Overprotecting intellectual property is as harmful as underprotecting it. Culture is impossible without a rich public domain. Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire, is genuinely new: Culture, like science and technology, grows by accretion, each new creator building on the works of those who came before. Overprotection stifles the very creative forces it's supposed to nurture." - Alex Kozinski, Ninth Circuit Federal Court of Appeals Judge
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some hobby stores carry sheet aluminum. If they sell model train supplies and parts chances are they sell the aluminum panels. I buy mine there and they are .163" thick if I recall. They work rather well and are relatively inexpensive.
Ricko

Audio files: 27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Where in Coffs, Uncle K? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus:

I am frequently in Coffs Harbour: where is that aluminium store?

Cheers
Rick
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: