electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Module Reference Comparative Table
Page 3 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Hyde

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber - could you maybe generate a 'printer-friendly' button on your web page?

Again - THANKS GUYS Very Happy
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good idea, but I've never done that before. The code is an awful mix of css and direct coding, I thought I get all the material together and make a decent site afterwards.
If you know how to make printer-friendly sites, share the knowledge and I'll put it in.

sebber
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
Good idea, but I've never done that before. The code is an awful mix of css and direct coding, I thought I get all the material together and make a decent site afterwards.
If you know how to make printer-friendly sites, share the knowledge and I'll put it in.

I printed out your table using Mozilla. It works fine on a monochromatic printer. I think to make this printer friendly, it would be best to change the background color to white, the make the text black. Other than that, an HMTL table is pretty printer friendly because in most cases, it is auto scaling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sebber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hyde:
I put up a b/w-version for YOU Very Happy :
http://www.sebastianberweck.de/G2/MRTprint.htm

Or is there a prob with the scaling?

I will work on the original page mostly. Maybe you can download the html-code, open it in a simple editor,

change

<body style="background-color: #d20000; color: #ffffff; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;" vlink="white">

into

<body font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;">

and you have the latest version uncolored.

If it's a size-problem, let me know.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could also try (in the <head> section)

<style media=screen>
BODY {background: #d20000; color: #ffffff; }
</style>
<style>
BODY {font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;}
</style>

style attributes in the first section will only apply on screen, not when printed.
You can also (if you want) have a block with media=print for attributes that only apply to the printed version Smile

Good work BTW
sebber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, g2ian, that was a good hint. Didn't know that, works fine.
sebber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the NM, the output of a Slave Osc would be synced to the Master Osc to prevent detuning.
On the G2 I've got the feeling, that two Oscs are in total unison and tuning. If I nonetheless link the output of one Osc (Squarewave) to the sync-input of another Osc (Saw), the combined sound gets a triple-saw like character.
What's going on?
sebber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Major update.But I need your help, I can't find everything.

a) Keyboard split? (Seems different, since on the G2 I need to go to the performance settings to do that)

b) What about the AM input on NM oscillators?

c) What about the AMP input on the Percussion Osc?

d) What's the difference between Adjustable gain control and Amplifier in NM?

e) The NM has a velocity input in the Note and Velocity Scaler. The G2 Level Scaler doesn't. How to replace this one?

f) The Phaser modules in NM and G2 are too different. Solutions?

And I don't feel good with these ones:

MIDI - global
1 output
4 output

Only 28 modules to go. Lend me a hand!

sebber
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
a) Keyboard split? (Seems different, since on the G2 I need to go to the performance settings to do that)

b) What about the AM input on NM oscillators?

c) What about the AMP input on the Percussion Osc?

d) What's the difference between Adjustable gain control and Amplifier in NM?

f) The Phaser modules in NM and G2 are too different. Solutions?

A I've got no idea about this one. Maybe the MIDI NoteZone module could be used in some way?

B This can be solved by routing the oscillator through the LevMod module and setting the knob to AM. The mod input on the LevMod modules then becomes the AM input.

C I'm guessing this is just like B. In the help file it describes the Amp input as an input that modulates the amplitude of the sound. I don't have a NM1 so I can't test this solution, but connecting a LevMod in the same way as b should get you pretty close.

D The amplifier is the same as the LevAmp module. The adjustible gain control is the same as a constant module connected to the mod input of a LevMult module. I'm not too sure how levels work in the NM, but on the Adj gain control you can go from -127 to +127... is this the same as -64 to +64 on the G2?

E I got nothin'.

F This can be solved by connecting an LFO through a Mix1-1 to the top pitch input on the FiltPhase module, leaving the other adjustable pitch input free like the NM phaser. This gives all the features of the NM phaser.

As for the outputs, 1 out is the same as a 2out on the G2, except you have to chose between the left and right channels for out1 or out2 (1/2), out3 or out4 (3/4) etc. 4 out is the same as the 4out module on the G2 except you have to set the 4out button to 'Out'. A mixer or the overall patch volume above te patch can be used to mimick the big level knob.

The midi module can be replaced with a ClickGen set to master on the G2. Then the 1/96, sync and clk active outputs are the same as the midi module outputs. In this case, the sync frequency is controlled on the module. On the NM it was controlled in Synth settings.

Hope this helps a bit

[edit] I posted this early in the morning and mixed a few things up. Should be right now.
Afro88

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, has anyone heard of wiki? For example the wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

It's a way of setting up a page where any user can come along and edit the contents, adding or correcting information. I'm thinking it could be useful for this application, as more people discover new or more accurate ways of recreating nm1 modules or module setups on the G2 they can go to the NM->G2 wiki and edit the contents to reflect their new/improved methods.

I'm not sure how one would go about setting it up, but I can look into it if you're interested.

Oh, and a question for Mosc - if we convert a NM patch to the G2, would it be useful posting it here (the patch forums, not this particular thread)? I usually convert patches to discover how to create a certain sound or effect and then modify to my liking, but perhaps other people would be interested in the original converted patches...?
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use wiki at work...didn't set it up, but it's fairly easy to use & maintain, and it does support the use of revisions (cvs), especially if too many people get their fingers involved and chaos ensues. It might be overkill for this application, though. If no one has the time, server, or bandwidth, Sourceforge offers similar functions to community projects.

Anyway, until I sell my old NM1, I have both units, and would be willing to support testing that is needed. Too many patches to just throw them away!
sebber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afrokid,

extremly helpful, thank you. Give me a little time to implement this.

As for wikis and other CMS (content management system), I've got Mambo running on my server and it's quite easy. But nonetheless these things are time consuming and I thank the people here a lot for putting this up.

The list on my page is only to collect the modules. After we're done with that, the chart can be transported easily to this place or another structure. Maybe the discussion is shifting so heavily towards G2 only, that after a while nobody needs it anyway. E.g. if there were more specific workshops for the G2 around, I wouldn't have gotten the idea to start this.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First, I think it's appropriate to post any G2 patch here on the forum, as long as the poster identifies it properly.

As for posting this module list when it is finished, I'd be happy to provide a page on electro-music.com. It can even be the first post of a forum topic. The author can edit is as new information is provided in posts later down the thread. I could add some html tags to the forum to enable tables if that would help.

As for Wiki, several people have proposed one of these. We need someone to volunteer as an angel for this project. This would involve being an administrator and an editor - keeping a close eye on things. I've personally never used a wiki, but I think there is a purpose for them.

I'll open up a wiki topic in the electro-music.com forum as this topic is of more general interest than to the NM community.

Good suggestions folks. Thanks much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I added a WIKI topic, here http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-3420.html
sebber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would really like to see your old NM patches and the G2 patches to learn a thing. Maybe you can post both the old and the new one here?

I thought of publishing my exercises in trying to follow Robs "Nord Modular Basics Workshop". Some redos work, some don't (yet), and I certainly would have liked to see other learners.

OT: More often than not, I log in, write the text, copy it, have to log in again, paste, and submit. Is this common?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
OT: More often than not, I log in, write the text, copy it, have to log in again, paste, and submit. Is this common?

No, you should stay logged on for very long before timing out. Usually killing your browser will log you out. Check that you have cookies enabled. What browser/OS are you running?
sebber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good evening everybody,

first, there's an update, since Afrokid gave some really good hints. Don't know what the problem was with the Phaser, maybe I just did to many modules in one day.

As for the mixers, I still hold for true that there's no "knobbed" output attenuation implemented in the G2 mixers, I suppose the padding is the answer to it.

I said, G2s editor is much more consistent than NMs. But the Level Modulator shouldn't have AM in the pictogramm, I think.

There should be another table in the order of how the abbreviations on the modules read. (my goodness, is this english and understandable?)

jksuperstar, you offer something that might grow really big... Twisted Evil

mosc, I'm on XP using the Avant Browser 9.02.017, which basically uses the IE 6.00.28... and adds a few features (all the ones we know IE 6 is missing). Cookies are on. Seems like I trust people Surprised
Might well be the WLAN I'm using here!

I won't do the sequencers in the near future, if somebody wants to give it a try: WELCOME!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Avant Browser is new to me. I had to look it up. I don't know why that would be a problem. I'm too busy to load it and try it out. I know the forum works quite well with Mozilla, IE, Opera and Safari. Hopefully there is some setting that is causing your cookie to expire or something. Sorry I can't be more helpful. If you discover anything, please let me know.
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
jksuperstar, you offer something that might grow really big...

I guess that's incentive to sell Sad

Still, I think it'd be great to have a script that converts the old NM1 patches to the new G2. Just think...there's 20,000 patches out there! I like to believe evolution is a continuous & gradual thing -- hickups between generations is only helpful when it cleans out the gene pool.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

People have taked about this to death on the NM mailing list. It's pretty impossible because the G2 patches are binary and the file format is not public. This automatic patch converter is likely to reman a dream, unfortunately.
Afro88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
first, there's an update, since Afrokid gave some really good hints.

Glad I could help out Very Happy. I converted a NM patch today using your reference chart. It's posted here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-20576.html#20576

As for wiki etc., it probably is overkill Smile, just a thought.
sebber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:

Anyway, until I sell my old NM1, I have both units, and would be willing to support testing that is needed. Too many patches to just throw them away!

Actually I meant this offer of yours.

Don't worry about the double log-in, mosc, please. Setting this forum up is work enough!
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was referring to the same:) If I get slammed with requests helping out, it'll encourage me to sell the old NM1 so I can't help out much anymore Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:

My guess is that the discussion on the possible patterns, if they also appear backwards somewhere, or even if there are doubles, is not over yet. And is probably stalled until Jan returns from his holiday. :)

Ok I'm back (from obeserving wheather systems, I really love to watch them roll), so ... what direction do you suggest to proceed in Rob ?

Jan.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:

Still, there is one entry in your list I disagree with, its the FMB osc. This should actually be an OscC set to Trk mode. Or to be totally correct, an OscC set to FMLin with a 6dB highpass filter before the input. But this filter should be set to a cutoff of 48kHz, making this not really an option.

High pass with cutoff set to 48 kHz sounds a bit like 'differentiator', would that help ?

Jan.
Page 3 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: