electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: A WINTER STREAM 09
Page 1 of 5 [103 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: A WINTER STREAM 09 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A few of us in the chatroom have been streaming live back and forth to each other and small audiences for the last several weeks. Inspired by the energy from NYE, we thought it was time to have another streaming event. Laughing

Sunday, Febuary 22nd has been chosen as electro-music Winter Stream09. This event is open to all members of electro-music.com. We would prefer that people stream a LIVE performance from their studios. If you cannot perform LIVE, we can probably make an exception. If you would like to participate in this event please post the following info on this page asap:

Preferred Start Time (GMT/UTC):
Name (stage name if there is one):
Username:
Set Length (30 or 60 min.):
1 or 2 Paragraph Description:

Please note: "Preferred Start Time". We will do the best that we can to accommodate people to their requested times. However, please be flexible because this event will have European and American musicians in many different time zones. Time slots will be on a semi-"first come-first served" basis... beer with European musicians taking preference to play earlier in the day due to the 6 to 7 hour time difference.

GMT converter

As in the past, the CHATROOM will serve as an invaluable communication tool for set up, streaming, and connecting to those listening. I suggest participants get familiar with it in advance, if you aren't already.

If you want a recording of your set, it would be prudent to record your own set, rather than depend on others. Accidents and mistakes happen...especially in this format. There are many ways to record your set. Edcast has a built in recording system. You can also record your stream from your mixer on the signal path to the computer.

It is IMPERATIVE that everyone test their connections before we start streaming. At least 24 hours before or sooner. Sorry, but musicians WILL NOT be allowed to stream on Sunday if you do not test 24 hours before hand. Not only does it delay the schedule, but causes unneeded stress on performer, server operator, and audience during performance time. Wink

It would be best if everyone could stream at 128 kbps, 44.1 kHz , stereo if possible.

Mosc: TO DO THE STREAMING, all you need is a PC with Oddcast (now called Edcast), a free program. If you have a MAC, you can use the Nicecast program (free demo works for a month the last time we tried it) to stream. If you are are interested in participating, we'll set up a test server just for you to experiment on to make sure you can get it to work.

PC users can download Edcast here. The stand-alone version is recommended. http://www.oddsock.org/tools/edcast/

Oddcast (Edcast) instructions posted: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-13780.html

Mac OSX users are encouraged to use NiceCast which we have tested.

[Blue Hell: changed the stream parameters]

Last edited by shanemorris on Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:32 am; edited 13 times in total
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Preferred Start time (GMT) 9PM - but I'm flexible on starts.
Name (stage name if there is one) EdisonRex
Location. London
Real name. Paul Harriman
Username EdisonRex
1 or 2 paragraph description

This slot will probably be somewhat more ambient than the NYE slot which was heavily Klee-inspired. I'll be making use of the Neuron as well as the various "more conventional" analogue synthesizers in my studio. This will be "mostly improvised", in keeping with previous performances.

Home,My Studio,and another view
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be interested in a half hour slot please Smile

Preferred Start time (GMT): 11pm or thereabouts
Name (stage name if there is one): Modulator ESP
Username: modulator_esp
Blurb: I'll be trying out an ambient looping set, possibly with some minimal sequencing, using G2, Repeater and Evolvers. It will be improvised live on the night.

Ganzha

Audio files: 27

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: I would love to be participate! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this idea,
only ne question bothering me - I M still in Central Asia, I have speed internet account here but i am not sure that it would works great

ocp

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Preferred Start time (GMT): any time between midnight and 3 a.m.
Name (stage name if there is one): ocp
Username: ocp
Blurb: it is all a question of frequency

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Live set Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Preferred Start Time (GMT/UTC): flexible...after midnight GMT
Name: Shane Morris
Username: shanemorris
Set Length: 1 hour
paragraph description: I will be playing an improvised set of Tribal Ambient, SpaceMusic styles. I will be performing on synths, sequencers, sampler, and effects processing. Because of the physical nature of the event, I will also be utilizing many of the instruments in my studio that I often cannot take to gigs such as vibraphone, African and Cuban percussion, and electronic percussion.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: I would love to be participate! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ganzha wrote:
I like this idea,
only ne question bothering me - I M still in Central Asia, I have speed internet account here but i am not sure that it would works great

Shit, central Asia. We'll do everything we can possibly do to make this work, including stream you at a lower rate, if necessary. We can do testing in advance to see if there are any problems.

Where in central Asia are you?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jono

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, it will be cool, thanks shane and mosc.

Preferred Start Time: GMT flexible around midnight, 30 min session, let that to your criteria.
Name (stage name if there is one): astronota
Username: jono
description: I'll be playing my upright through midi converter to G2 and will use Live to make loops controlled with pk5a pedal. It will be improvised, maybe a metal thing, who knows?!

thanks ocp for the message.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Preferred Start Time (GMT/UTC): Any
Name (stage name if there is one): Inventor
Username: Inventor
Set Length (30 or 60 min.): 60 min.

I'll be running my No Wave Generator, a ChucK program that I wrote. No Wave was popular from 1978 to 1992 in New York. It is characterized by a lack of characterization, a mix of hard driving rhythms along with gentle wandering tones. The generator has Guitar, Drums, and Sax. I will play the generator by occasionally pressing keyboard buttons which randomly generate a new instrument, tempo, or logic table.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ooh goody! Very Happy I'd love to join in on this.

Preferred Start Time (GMT/UTC): Anytime before 11.00 PM GMT
Name (stage name if there is one): Antimon
Username: Antimon
Set Length (30 or 60 min.): 30 min
1 or 2 Paragraph Description: I've been rehearsing a song that I hope to submit to the monome compilation album Auditory Canvas is managing over at the monome forum. It's all about launching clips live from the monome and cutting them up a bit - I'll try to make some more clips to play.

/Stefan

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going to play too, but first I have to write programs to automate the shoutcast servers. Unfortunately, this is a trial and error process. Right now, none of the servers are working, so if anyone was using a test server that I gave you for the NYE concert, it is down. Everyone will get a new port/password pair for this stream. I hope to be able to get this running today, but I'm wise enough not to guarantee anything in software development.

My goal it to have the shoutcast servers manageable by other admins than me via a web interface. Then we can do these things when I'm not personally available. The machine we are using is OSX and it's not exactly like Linux, so I'm having some transition difficulties. I'm sure it will eventually work though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: I would love to be participate! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ganzha wrote:
I like this idea,

Guess we could set up a test ... do you have streaming software installed?

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I hope to be able to get this running today

When you need help just shout Wink

mtvic

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to join in.
However, I am having trouble with Nicecast.
I purchased it for the nye stream and could not get it to stream.
I know there was something I was overlooking or did not do.
If anyone could be so kind as to walk me through it in laymans terms
It would be most appreciated.
thanks and happy day after Valentines .
m

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If nobody helps in the next 24 hours please please pm me or join the chat on Monday. I am out of town until then.

Home,My Studio,and another view
mtvic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you
I will
m

ocp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mtvic wrote:
I'd like to join in.
However, I am having trouble with Nicecast.
I purchased it for the nye stream and could not get it to stream.
I know there was something I was overlooking or did not do.
If anyone could be so kind as to walk me through it in laymans terms
It would be most appreciated.
thanks and happy day after Valentines .
m

Troubleshooting

1 - turn off your firewall
2 - if you're using a router make sure you open a port (8000 or above) for the stream and use the modem IP, not the router IP ( http://myipaddress.com )
3 - choose the built in server if you want to stream by yourself or create a new one (by clicking the "+" button in the server window drawer) to use an external server

If this doesn't help let us know your specific doubts.

mtvic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

where do I find the modem IP?
ocp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mtvic wrote:
where do I find the modem IP?

just use http://www.myipaddress.com

doomtube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/electro-music.com

I set this up just now and will be broadcasting visuals to go along with the broadcast on the 22nd.

If any one has any small ish clips (practically any format!) they would like playing email them to me at doomtube@gmail.com ....

I hope this goes well!! ill be in the chat room as often as i can over the next week!!
mystahr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So sunday you say... but starting saturday evening Euro-time or will it be sunday start into the monday?

If the first I can do an early sunday morning from 5am GMT on. If the latter I'd prefer either sunday late afternoon or early morning.

Preferred Start Time (GMT/UTC): see above
Name (stage name if there is one): Mystahr
Username: mystahr
Set Length (30 or 60 min.): either/ flexible

His broad variety of sound sources often seems to go diverging directions, reflecting his viewpoint that nothing ever stays the same; the world around us, and indeed nature itself, erode and evolve through chaos. That very chaos has become a fundamental element in Mystahr's work, its sheer beauty always enticing the listener, its unpredictability always keeping the listener's direct attention. Rummaging through the experimental debris of such diverse sounds, sounds that may occasionally seem unbearable, he has made a profound discovery: amidst this chaos hides a calm. Pursuing that calm both in music as well as in life, Mystahr quests on, ever restless.

A good reference of what to expect is:
http://www.earthmantra.com/release-detail.php?id=71

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doomtube will also be able to upload still photos from musicians playing in their studios as we stream on Sunday. So everyone take a pic if you can of yourselves playing. If you can post something before or during your set doomtube believes he may be able to video mix still photos into moving images. Shocked
mystahr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Must say this is an utterly cool addition to the whole experience!!!
doomtube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i can mix the still in no problem. Having spoken to mosc all seems to be okay about the feed and it (fingers and toes crossed) will be embedded into the actual electro-music site....
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good, glad to see that it worked out!
Page 1 of 5 [103 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Jump to: