electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Resonator Section of Polymoog ...
Page 5 of 6 [129 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next

Interested?
Interested
95%
 95%  [ 43 ]
Not intersted
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 45

TekniK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My pcb's are made,and i have a good model for a frontpanel,wander if i should ad 1 switch more to have also the notch option
Last edited by TekniK on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great idea to have concentric pots for the dry and resonator level!

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
/mr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Powering more modules from the resonator's onboard PSU? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to use the onboard +/-15V PSU section to power some more modules, but I don't remember (or find) any mentions about this in this thread or at your site. How much current do you think would be possible to squeeze out of this design (with larger heatsinks and possibly some component value changes)?

I'm hoping to use one resonator's PSU to power a compact effect box with two resonators + two 100M M-121 VCFs + two spring reverbs + two Polysix effect boards. Razz
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Powering more modules from the resonator's onboard PSU? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

/mr wrote:
I'd like to use the onboard +/-15V PSU section to power some more modules, but I don't remember (or find) any mentions about this in this thread or at your site. How much current do you think would be possible to squeeze out of this design (with larger heatsinks and possibly some component value changes)?

I'm hoping to use one resonator's PSU to power a compact effect box with two resonators + two 100M M-121 VCFs + two spring reverbs + two Polysix effect boards. Razz

Not calculated, just estimated:

With a 2 * 18V transformer (two secondary windings) and big heat sinks on the regulators, 200mA should be possible.

With *huge* heat sinks and the big electrolytics increased from 470u to 2200u, and bigger rectifier diodes, 1A should be possible.

This is all untested - just applying the general rules of thumb for power supplies.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
recompas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll have a video up soon of mine in its temporary case. I was experimenting with using 2 vactrols in line with the dual pots for the frequency, to get a some sort of primitive voltage control. I'm pretty pleased with the results and encourage others to give it a try. More details soon.

-Travis

Luka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

please do, i was thinking of that awhile ago
http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
adambee7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

recompas wrote:
I'll have a video up soon of mine in its temporary case. I was experimenting with using 2 vactrols in line with the dual pots for the frequency, to get a some sort of primitive voltage control. I'm pretty pleased with the results and encourage others to give it a try. More details soon.

-Travis

I was just going to implement the mods by Dave Brown. Did you do this aswell as your own mod? Because it sounds very interesing and if good I will add this to mine. Very Happy Very Happy
recompas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Video and small explanation are up on my blog:

http://voiceofsaturn.blogspot.com/2009/12/jh-polymoog-resonator-with-voltage.html

I'm pretty happy with the results, and its an easy mod to do.

-t

TekniK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

recompas wrote:
Video and small explanation are up on my blog:

http://voiceofsaturn.blogspot.com/2009/12/jh-polymoog-resonator-with-voltage.html

I'm pretty happy with the results, and its an easy mod to do.

-t

Great,thanks for the demo!
adambee7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for a Great video mate. Sounds really good. Very Happy Very Happy
The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was just mulling over something Ken Stone mentioned on the CGS Yahoo list...

If I were to use two 10K pots instead of a 10K stereo pot for the frequency control, would this give me adjustable bandwidth?

This would be interesting in many ways (I guess none of them would be similar to a Polymoog though!) for example voltage control of each (lower and higher range) frequency seperately... (not sure if I'd do that...)

hmmmm...

jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Bad Producer wrote:
I was just mulling over something Ken Stone mentioned on the CGS Yahoo list...

If I were to use two 10K pots instead of a 10K stereo pot for the frequency control, would this give me adjustable bandwidth?

This would be interesting in many ways (I guess none of them would be similar to a Polymoog though!) for example voltage control of each (lower and higher range) frequency seperately... (not sure if I'd do that...)

hmmmm...

It already has adjustable Bandwidth.

JH.

The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you mean the Emphasis control? I thought that would only narrow the bandwidth whilst increasing the Q, whilst I was hoping I could use two seperate knobs to create the base (width) frequency which I could then apply emphasis to...

I guess it wouldn't work then, I was sort of hoping it would as I haven't got my delivery of dual pots yet (they got lost in the Christmas post I think) and I would like to try out the board as soon as possible!

Thanks,

Charlie

jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Bad Producer wrote:
Do you mean the Emphasis control? I thought that would only narrow the bandwidth whilst increasing the Q, whilst I was hoping I could use two seperate knobs to create the base (width) frequency which I could then apply emphasis to...

I guess it wouldn't work then, I was sort of hoping it would as I haven't got my delivery of dual pots yet (they got lost in the Christmas post I think) and I would like to try out the board as soon as possible!

Thanks,

Charlie

These are 2-pole filters, and here, by definition, bandwidth and Q factor are not independent of each other: Q ~ 1/B.

Only with filters of higher order you can create an arbitrary bandwidth, by staggered tuning of partial filters / pole pairs, of which each has its own Q factor.

The only degree of freedom you have in 2-pole filters is Q factor vs. gain, i.e. a choice of compensating the higher gain that normally comes with higher Q (as in the Moog circuit), or not.

Unequal time constants in the two integrator stages will also have an effect on some parameters (don't have my Spice running now), but it won't unlink the bandwidth from Q.

JH.

The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for your reply Juergen, I am quite good now at making things, getting better at troubleshooting, and just beginning to get to grips with theory...

I appreciate you taking the time out to explain such things Very Happy it always sends me to a textbook!

Charlie

whomper

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Just found out I ordered a batch of 50K log instead of 10K log, where 5 are specified in the BOM. Can I use the 50K log instead and/or perhaps change a supporting resistor value?

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whomper wrote:
Hi,

Just found out I ordered a batch of 50K log instead of 10K log, where 5 are specified in the BOM. Can I use the 50K log instead and/or perhaps change a supporting resistor value?

Should work, but the pot courve will be a little warped.

JH.

bennethos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: stereo mode Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi fellow sdiy'ers, I'm also building this module, a stereo version for rack use...

Couple of questions :

- Does anyone have a part number for the fuse holders ? (can't seem to find the ones that fit the pcb)

What major modifications will be necessary to make it work in stereo ?
What I think :

- obviously 2 pcb's, one with the psu section, the other one bridged
- stereo pots

A question for Herr Haible :

Can I plug in whatever signal from a commercial synth without modyfing resistor values ?

thx
Ben
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: stereo mode Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bennethos wrote:

Can I plug in whatever signal from a commercial synth without modyfing resistor values ?

Naturally, I couldn't have tested every commercial synth, but I wouldn't expect any difficulties.

JH.

vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FWIW, I recently completed mine. It's a heavenly sounding filter. Running two detuned VCOs into it makes it sing!
numbernone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Waking up groggy from having slept on this one...any boards left? Or anybody with extras?

cool.
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbernone wrote:
Waking up groggy from having slept on this one...any boards left? Or anybody with extras?

cool.

I still have boards.

JH.

guitarsandsynths

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all!
My first post!
I'm a real newbie and need some help with this project. I'm a over my head here. I finished populating the pcb and I'm trying to wire the pots.
I have a couple of supernoob questions. Excuse my ignorance.
The module passes no audio.
1) Could wrong pot wiring do this? I'm testing it right now without the pots for freq and emphasis. I just connected the end of the wires, so that it would work as a pot turned all the way up, correct?
2) Regarding the ICs. The IC's sockets have a cutout in one side. Is that the side where pin 1 goes?
Sorry for the supernoob questions.
Thanks in advance,
Angelo
P.S.
Never mind. I got it. I had it all wired ok. I found an unsoldered resistor leg. Embarassed
P.P.S.
It works! My first module! Thanks JH!!!Cool
Now I need to figure out why HP and BN are not working. Crying or Very sad
guitarsandsynths

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've checked all the connections and all the solder points. Everything seems to be correct. The low pass and band pass are working perfectly and sound fantastic. Raw and dirt resonance! Me likes it a lot!!!! But I'm stuck and need some advice. Where should I check? What could be the problem? Bad ICs perhaps?
Please help!
Thanks!!!
Embarassed
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

guitarsandsynths wrote:
I've checked all the connections and all the solder points. Everything seems to be correct. The low pass and band pass are working perfectly and sound fantastic. Raw and dirt resonance! Me likes it a lot!!!! But I'm stuck and need some advice. Where should I check? What could be the problem? Bad ICs perhaps?
Please help!
Thanks!!!
Embarassed

Hi guitarsandsynths,

the problem is that, most likely, there *are* some still undedected errors that don't have much to do with the circuit, but with the soldering, component selection, etc. All I can say is double check (or, triple check) for wrong component values, bad solder joints, shorts from excess solder - that kind of stuff. A bad IC is unlikely if LP and BP functions are working.

JH.

Page 5 of 6 [129 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: