electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Bending problem (stuck)
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Slurry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Bending problem (stuck) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was happily bending my new DD-5 and got a little carried away. I touched two points, got a cool effect, but then it wouldn't stop. I took out the batteries, put them in, restarted, and it was still stuck.
I then noticed that one of the points led to two chips that looked like they pertain to the overall power of the unit. Did I permanently ruin my toy?

Here are the two chips...

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
imaguitargod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like my mom always said, "When in doubt, get a hammer."

A risky alternative is to make a brief (fraction of a second) connection from the + side of the battery to the last leg of your IC (the big one, I actually don't think that second one is an IC)....careful, this may fry the board, but it also may fix the problem....

stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the 2nd chip with 3 legs, isnt really a chip- its a voltage regulator. What it does is take the positive voltage from the power and trims it down to an acceptable voltage for the circuit. This being the case, i wouldnt suggest bending near the battery connections. Why? Because the main chips will be working on the V+ and V- set by the regulator, anything higher (in this case a charge directly from the batteries) would probably cause some very damaging effects.

If you think the chips are damaged, then i think as a novice bender, your toy is jacked for life. This doesnt mean it can never be used to make cool sounds. You might end up finding connections that get it to SOMETHING and send wacky pulses or what ever, but i dont think it will ever come back to life.

But, dont be discouraged, perhaps give it some time- i've heard around bending forums that static charges, or maybe capacitor charges, can bring a toy back to life once they've drained/dissipated.

Always remember, never throw away your old junk circuits (unless your girlfriend hates them like mine) and reuse everthing. Desolder those resistors and caps. save the knobs and pots. And turn the circuit board in the most awesome Christmas tree ornament you ever seen.
Slurry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

imaguitargod wrote:

A risky alternative is to make a brief (fraction of a second) connection from the + side of the battery to the last leg of your IC (the big one, I actually don't think that second one is an IC)....careful, this may fry the board, but it also may fix the problem....

I'm scared...

stolenfat wrote:

If you think the chips are damaged, then i think as a novice bender, your toy is jacked for life. This doesnt mean it can never be used to make cool sounds. You might end up finding connections that get it to SOMETHING and send wacky pulses or what ever, but i dont think it will ever come back to life.

Darn, I really thought it was fixable. It's a damn shame.

Thanks for your comments though
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The AN7140 is the output amplifier, so it's doubtful it's producing the "stuck" effect or that you'd hear anything at all if it were damaged. The 78M05 is a 5volt regulator. If the output has gone too low or too high replacing it may fix things.

But it's entirely possible the damage is elsewhere.

imaguitargod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Slurry wrote:
imaguitargod wrote:

I'm scared...

It's ok to be scared, we'll just make fun of you for it. Laughing

Give it a try if you think you are going to scrap the project, at that point you have nothing to lose.

stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dont forget the christmas ornament idea before you toss it in the trash!
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: