electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Controller, Ribbon, Softpot, another.
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Benjamin AM wrote:
I finally got around to getting this circuit on a breadboard. I eventually ended up using a softpot instead of using ESD ribbon. I noticed that the CV output ranged from 0V to 4V. To change this I adjusted the value of the 120k resistor attached to A4's negative input. Doubling the value(changing it to 240k) dropped the output to a range of -2V to 2V as the schematics indicates. I was curious if this sounds right.

Sounds OK. You can use whatever output range and offset suits your needs, of course. +/-2V is convenient with my system.

Quote:
Also, I was curious if other ribbon controllers designs that use the softpot exhibit the phenomenon that has been deemed as the "squish factor", that is, pitch bending on finger pull off.

On the Appendage controller, an earlier voltage is put out. Scott said this eliminated the squish factor. I'm working on a new design that uses two smoothing times. This also appears to work well.

Quote:
Anyhow, thank you so much for contributing this design, I look forward to the spending many hours playing this thing.

You are welcome! It's good to see someone working with it.

Quote:
Edit: I forgot to mention that I used CA3080s in place of the LM13700. Seems to be no problem.

Yeah, they're the same basic circuit.

Ian
Benjamin AM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
I'm working on a new design that uses two smoothing times. This also appears to work well.

Sounds interesting! I can't wait to see it. Out of curiosity, does this mean that when the player removes his finger from ribbon the the CV lag time(A2-A3) will increase?
-Benjamin
OE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello! First post on this fine forum, but I was seeking a simple ribbon controller. The appendage is just too much for me at the moment - although it is an incredible design. I wanted to see if you had come up with the updated schematic you had referenced. I'd like to make a PCB for it and have it shared on the OSH park PCB fab site for free if any one wants to get a PCB for themselves (if that is OK with you, frijitz!)

Thanks for the contribution, I look forward to seeing the updated project.
OE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a PCB and the corresponding schematic. It hasn't been tested yet, but if anyone wants to give it a try, they are more than welcome. I'll be getting it fab'd when I get a chance/money. I assume the diodes that are zener's can be a 1N400x type? Dimensions are ~3" x 1.4". The TL072 is a OPA134, I just didn't have the right component in the library. It will be edited when the board is finalized.

EDIT: removed.

Last edited by OE on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is an older schematic and is no longer recommended. Plus, you did not get my permission to do this.

Ian
OE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I apologize! It has been removed. I assumed schematics posted for use were also allowed to have PCBs made. I am sorry.
softfin

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a few spare softpots, so I though I could built this one on stripboard. However, all the softpots I have are 10k. Is it possible to build this ribbon controller with a 10k softpot? Advice would be much appreciated.
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: