electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Artists » Seraph
Seraph: Nemo Variations
Page 2 of 3 [57 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and some more

moreoldboatsontheriver.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.12 KB
 Viewed:  11267 Time(s)

moreoldboatsontheriver.JPG

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stein, we know you have a digital camera. there is no need to show off every minute Very Happy what about the Nidaros cathedral contest Question

Quote:
The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils; the motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Erebus: Let no such man be trusted. - W. Shakespeare
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK.. seems to me that someone hjijacked your thread. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

who Question me Question

Quote:
The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils; the motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Erebus: Let no such man be trusted. - W. Shakespeare
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
Some catholic stuff from the market

gee...they look Aztecan to me
"not in my name" shouted the Pope Shocked

Well, these aren´t catholic butt plugs.. I can tell you that..
Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

it's not like on the old days when the OT sheriff would kick your ass for OT bantering on Online Music threads. Now he's too busy as the supreme ruler of Electronia Shocked

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

who Question me Question

Hmm.. lemme think... Idea
Nah.... not you.. I am pretty sure

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

it's not like on the old days when the OT sheriff would kick your ass for OT bantering on Online Music threads. Now he's too busy as the supreme ruler of Electronia Shocked

Well.. perhaps we should go for an OD on OT?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
some boats and stuff
Stunning photograph Stein. It does, of course, look sharper and a bit more punched up on my LCD monitor than on the CRT. The extra sharpness, contrast and saturation give it a more abstract feel. I can’t decide which I like best. On the LCD it almost has the aura of that type of oil painting based on the extensive use of glazes. Anyway, what kind of monitor do you use to prepare for posting?

I kinda lost contact with the world of art photography about the time Kodak stopped die transfer matrix production. Checking just now it appears that Cibachrome (now Ilfochrome) is still around. I’m curious as to what print materials/methods are currently favored in color art photography.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahhh, that one... well it is pretty hard to make decent pix using digicams. I am used to exposure for analog film. I did use Photoshop in order to improve it a bit. Obviously the lenses are a bit different too.
I am using an LCD monitor. I have a pretty good Apple 17" LCD.

When I scan film I am using the Polaroid SS4000 at its optical resolution which is 4000 dpi. The scans are pretty good.

I have set up ICC profiles for the scanner and the LCD.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Oskar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Nidaros...what a lovely name. "GIVE IT A TRY!" what do you mean Question

Give it a try! I mean, try to get a commission for Olavsfestdagene (the St Olaf Festival) Like I said, what you do is well within the scope of the festival, and there's no doubt that your work meets the artistic criteria for artists who play here. There are other festivals here as well, but like I said, I can really hear yor music performed in the cathedral. The acoustics are just lovely, protestant churches may be underendowed in the decor, but the sparseness makes for great listening experiences.
So, go for it, GIVE IT A TRY!

Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blimey this thread's gone way out of control.

Seraph: I like this Nemo Variations. It has plenty of tension and passion, and great use of timbre. I am very very impressed. I think composing dissonant music is very clever. This in fact reminds me of 50s style Gorecki, more the first rather than the third symphony. I am rightly jealous. Do you teach this sort of thing at your school?

For me it would translate perfectly to a live orchestral setting. The instruments are mainly if not all MIDI versions of orchestral instruments anyway, so you can tell from this version it would work well on an orchestra surely??!

Pellejones:
Your two demo thingies are also really nice. Kind of soaring and touching. Definitely sounds like a film soundtrack to me. The producer/director bloke is definitely onto a winner here, even if he doesn't know a guitar from his own arsehole. I prefer the non-lite version with the drums and thumps and such. I'm a sucker for drums and thumps.

Incidentally, you say this was done on Reason? I'm really impressed with the sounds of the strings and stuff. I am unable to produce remotely realistic strings/orchestral sounds. Totally unable. Which may be the subject of a future post...

Dovdimus Prime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bugger! I've just realised Pellejones posted his tunes in Seraph's other thread. Oh well.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
Blimey this thread's gone way out of control.

...send in the marines... Very Happy

Shocked .... well.. on the other hand... they are busy elsewhere.. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
this thread's gone way out of control.

thanks for taking it back where it belongs

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
I like this Nemo Variations...Do you teach this sort of thing at your school?

Thanks Dovder, midi messages "massage" has always been my distinctive excellence and yes, it's a skill that can be taught! (of course there are some prerequisites before getting there..)

Quote:
Dovdimus Prime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I meant more the composition of dissonant music (or at least the effective composition of dissonant music, rather than making a lot of shite.) I didn't mean MIDI massage, although, that too, is something I'm sure you could teach me a thing or two about.

This may be the subject of a PM. Why don't you have a messenger thingy?

Oskar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
I meant more the composition of dissonant music (or at least the effective composition of dissonant music, rather than making a lot of shite.) I didn't mean MIDI massage, although, that too, is something I'm sure you could teach me a thing or two about.

This may be the subject of a PM. Why don't you have a messenger thingy?

Careful, Carlo, I think Dovders might be a cop trying to get you to do a George Michael. Twisted Evil

God, I must reassess my listening habits, I honestly didn't think of "Nemo" as dissonant, but strictly speaking it is, isn't it? Any road up, it sounds good and feels better, which is what counts.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, the idea of dissonance in the old meaning of the word.. in this context.. is pretty much long gone. This is about a new tradition and there has been a reeducation of the audience. Hmm... when I think of it.. we have ths far out norwegian artist called "Sputnik" who has his own project of dissonance.. long story.. hmm..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 148
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dissonance is well defined in traditional music theory of the 18th century, but even then dissonant intervals, like augmented 4th and major 7ths were OK if used as passing tones, and other scanctioned practices.

The tritone was considered the devil's interval - "the devil in music". I never came across the devil myself - always seemed like some mythical creature like the unicorn or something - so I call this the Christian interval. They were the ones concerned with it the most, it seems.

see http://thelemicmusick.net/davidcherubim/tritone.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The "Christian Interval" will do just fine! Very Happy
Magnificent!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Oskar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good one Howard! Reminds me of a great retort built along the same line; In Norway, when we have a bad hair day, we say we're "having a black day." Our local soccer team, who have been national champions so many times in a row it's embarrassing, had a legendary coach who was as famous for his choleric temper as for his tactical nous, both world class. The first black player to play for the club (remember, Norway is still a very homogenous, or should I say "white" country) got a terrific tongue lashing during a training session. He answered ever so sweetly, "Sorry boss, I'm having a white day..."
pellejones

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK just to prove that I have a Digicam too, and that I rule when it comes to taking photographs Very Happy

These were taken TROUGH a microscope, with my cam. Imagine that the Camera was my eye. It was NOT easy Smile but well worth the trouble.

Crab Spider
A beatle (In sweden they are from the Skinnbagge family. That would translate to something line, Skin Beatle)

I've cut the pictures so the circle is gone. You know, when you look down a microscope, there's a "view" circle. I just removed all the black. Croped the pic.

Last edited by pellejones on Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow.. that spider is HUGE! It is all over my 17" LCD. Scary! I had a neighbor once who looked pretty much like that. He came from Åndalsnes.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
pellejones

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hehehehe well the spider is... 5 mm in reality Smile so that's a really cooool picture
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 148
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fab photos. You held your camera up to a microscope? No screw-in adapters or anything? Amazing.

Impressive that you got these little beasties to pose so nicely too.

Wow... Pellejones, you are a very talented fellow...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 2 of 3 [57 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Seraph
Jump to: