electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
wish: BBD Delay
Page 3 of 12 [292 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
Luka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i would be interested in more 3005s
but not for awhile,
need to order more tda1022s first

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
billy pilgrim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
have you the possibility to check if they are good ?
I think the bigger problem than if one costs some dollars more or less is the risk to get bad ones.
On a big order thats then a real problem
I would take up to 8 i think, maybe more if i take also for other Friends

I won't be able to test the chips before buying but they are would be guaranteed NOS and returnable within 30 days if no good. Maybe someone would volunteer to test a representative sample ?
Photon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm definitely interested in an analogue delay, if you're counting heads, Jürgen.
Thanks for considering this project.

And I'd also be interested in a couple of those MN3005s, Mr. Pilgrim, if they turn out to be the genuine article.

this is a very exciting development.

P.
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be interested in a VC Delay with Juergen's touch, but maybe going after a BBD design is not the way to go, due to the obsolesence of those ICs. The PT2399 is a digital chip, but it sounds good and is easily configured for voltage control - why not design a nice VC delay around it?

Just playing devil's advocate! Twisted Evil

(loving my dual PT2399 delay (http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-13490.html)

Romeo
funkyfarm

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(here comes the famous) +2 !

chips, boards, and all.
bugfight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ooooh, sounds killer
2 pcbs for me
also interested in the 3005s if it happens
Moogah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Definitely interested in this too, I've already got a couple MN3005's.

It'd be nice for the feedback path to be patchable too Cool
2thick4uni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smallbear now have MN3005's back in stock at $25 each, all tested as good.
blino83

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YES I WANT A BBD PCB TOO
one for me!
Very Happy
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2thick4uni wrote:
Smallbear now have MN3005's back in stock at $25 each, all tested as good.

As far as I understand, Smallbear is normally selling small quantities, meant for single quantity DIY and repair.

I've heard from another distributor specialized in vintage music electronics parts, that MN3005's are *very* hard to get in decent quantities.

When I'm really convinced that the 3005 is available in *quantities* (like, say, the TDA1022), I'm ready to go for a board.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
dingebre

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd buy a couple of boards. Just picked up a couple of MN3005's from Small Bear and would like to use them in something.

David

dingebre@3dphysics.net
http://www.xmission.com/~dingebre/Synthasystem.html
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd definitely be in for at least one board, probably 2.

I've got a Time Machine, but hardly use it at all - it seems almost impossible to get a decent sound out of it. Very noisy, and very low output. In fact, I sold it recently, for a good sum of money, but it got damaged in shipping, so I took it back, refunded the money, repaired it, and messed with it some more. I still like it, maybe I'll find a use for it sometime.
Bodega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be in for a board.
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jürgen, please make this one happen till the end of Year,
then we all can go no slowly to get the MN3005.
I'm shure there are enough ( i believe they are cloning it ), and not making a rush is anyway better
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
I'm shure there are enough ( i believe they are cloning it ), and not making a rush is anyway better

Lets put it that way:

If you are interested in having a good DIY BBD echo device, then get a MN3005 (or two of them) *now*. Even if I don't make any promises.

Because you can be shure that, if there are enough of these chips out there, someone *will* make a board sooner or later.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
numbertalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay I'm convinced. Just ordered 2 MN3005 from Smallbear, so if this ends up coming together count me in for a board.

jhaible wrote:
Funky40 wrote:

Lets put it that way:

If you are interested in having a good DIY BBD echo device, then get a MN3005 (or two of them) *now*. Even if I don't make any promises.

Because you can be shure that, if there are enough of these chips out there, someone *will* make a board sooner or later.

JH.
ickystay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My heart sank when I saw you all were talking MN3005 based. While a hand full of guys will be able to make this in the next couple years, not very far down the line this project will be a rare curiosity ala the Blacet and Henry VC Analog Delays.

The V3205 is plentiful! While it may not be the Ferrarri of BBD chips, it does pack 4096 stages of good old fashioned delay.

My only experience with the V3205 is sticking one in an old guitar effect pedal designed for a MN3205. The V3205 worked fine as far as delay time, but was louder and not as clean as it's Matsushita counterpart.

Remember, that circuit was designed for the MN. I believe a circuit designed for the V chip could be made to sound lovely. Who better than Herr Haible to design such a circuit?!?

Anyway, if this becomes a MN3005 circuit I will probably buy one to become one of the lucky handful. The next generation of synth builders will envy me as I do the guys who were able to let Curtis chips do so much of their dirty work.

O.K., said my say.
ach_gott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ickystay wrote:
My heart sank when I saw you all were talking MN3005 based. While a hand full of guys will be able to make this in the next couple years, not very far down the line this project will be a rare curiosity ala the Blacet and Henry VC Analog Delays.

Everything we do here is a rare curiosity. There were over 200 Blacet units sold while the average PCB project here on E-M seems to have fewer than that. Then there's the question as to how many actually get built and how many sit waiting in a drawer on your workbench and you'll get to them just as soon as you finish everything.

So I say... let's do it!

Last edited by ach_gott on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
TekniK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
I'd be interested in a VC Delay with Juergen's touch, but maybe going after a BBD design is not the way to go, due to the obsolesence of those ICs. The PT2399 is a digital chip, but it sounds good and is easily configured for voltage control - why not design a nice VC delay around it?

Just playing devil's advocate! Twisted Evil

(loving my dual PT2399 delay (http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-13490.html)

Romeo

yes thats what i think to,when i listen to my modcan delay..

but an analog delay still sound different
sduck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just ordered 2 MN3005's from Small Bear - expensive! But I'm ready now...
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two MN are needed ? 50$ ?!

I guess I remember those MN3005 were *selected* in Blacet Time Machine...
do you know what for ?

http://www.blacet.com/cool.html
evilxyzzy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 3005's in the time machine were selected for high clock rate. They would all run at or over the spec'd rate for shorter delay times.
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

evilxyzzy wrote:
The 3005's in the time machine were selected for high clock rate.

means delay time over 1 second ? ot two ?
evilxyzzy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No no. Faster clock == Shorter delay.

Actually, looking at the old email from John Blacet, I have it backwards. I thought he needed units that would handle a higher clock rate ( 100khz+ ) but he needs one that will handle lower clocks.

From his email ( sent when he was still making time machines ) :

Quote:
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:35:02 -0800

Hi All:

We have 8 MN3005 BBDs that are new, tested work fine, except they won't
go out to 2S of delay (which is what our TM module requires). They will
go out to at least 1S.

These would work great in almost any delay project. A more typical,
usable delay time for most anlaog delay projects is 100 mS to 800 mS.
Beyond this, the useable audio bandwidth gets very low.

Sorry I got this backwards but I hope the info is useful.
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great answer !!
Page 3 of 12 [292 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: