electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Washing Machines
Page 1 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Washing Machines
Subject description: Stream processors / restreamers discussion
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan (Blue_Hell) made the original electro-music.com Washing Machine by hooking up his three G2's, some computers, and some music hardware into a monstrosity that processes/restreams audio streams. We called it "The Washing Machine" because it made a sound like a washing machine in the background and also because it takes multiple inputs and mixes them all up in chaotic ways, just like a clothes washing machihne.

Then ocp made his "goofy looper" and we combined the two together one weekend, great fun. Next was me with my ChucK software Washing Machine and then there were three... Will you make one yourself?

The basis of a Washing Machine is a thing called "looping", so really it's nothing new but perhaps hooking them up in online collaboration is new. If not, I don't care because it's a great deal of fun! Anyway, it's fundamental component is a loop of delay lines with input and output taps. You can do other stuff besides a loop too: multiple loops, meshes, Bucky Balls, anything really is possible. You can add effects too and mixing and recording, etc. You are only limited by your imagination and your equipment.

This thread will hopefully serve as a place to discuss Washing Machines in the context of audio streaming at electro-music.com, so please feel free to jump in and say something. Cheers!

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The washing machines are splendid. Very interesting to listen to.

Could we identify some times that the washing machines will be running to relay on the main channel?

You know, The Washing Machine show.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a fun idea, Howard! Based on last weekend, I'd say a peak time for us would be 8pm to 10pm EST on Friday and Saturday nights. That's a bit late for our European friends, but they seem to be night owls anyway. We could start by putting Jan's Washing Machine on the electro-music.com radio station and letting us others hook our Washing Machines or other streams int Jan's.

For my part I will be working on my Generator's built-in Washing Machine, adding a USB controller so I can vary the action as we go (still building the controller tonight). I can also input voice both plain style and vocoded.

And I have a copyright question: What can I read/sing into the Washing Machines? I'd like to do The Point by Harry Nilsson, or perhaps Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry, or maybe American Pie by Don McLean. Is the use of copyrighted lyrics to be avoided? After all, bands do covers of other bands all the time. Of course I will be careful to conform to your wishes in this matter. In fact, to be safe, perhaps you can elaborate on such gray areas in the no copyrighted material policy. I'd hate to cast a shadow on our fun by doing something wrong!

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

re: copyright

We need to be very careful to avoid any sorts of copyright infringement issues. That extends to performance rights issues as well as basic infringement. In general that means any "popular" music of the 20th century, any sound recording not explicitly licensed, the reading aloud of any copyrighted (and not explicitly licensed) literary work, or the use of any sound, sample, or other work which we are not the owner of. There isn't really a fair use doctrine in effect for what we are doing, as it qualifies as performance.

Of course, there's plenty of material we can use as source. Anything with creative commons license attached (specifically the CC performance or use freely licenses), anything in the public domain (US Government documents for example), a lot of stuff from the Internet Archive, and older literary works would qualify.

So all I'm saying is be very careful. The two works you cited would not qualify as usable, at least as far as I can tell. I'm not a lawyer, but I am quite well read on this subject.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, that clears it up for me!
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
The two works you cited would not qualify as usable

unless they get mangled into the washing machine beyond recognition Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
The Washing Machine show.

you should also schedule reruns Idea

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Energy Star Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's about time i begin washing my own stuff... Jan has been washing for me. My wife thinks it would be good for me to do my own.

Plus, the government is giving great tax breaks on Energy Star washing machines, so its a great time to invest and wash 'em up. Wink

ocp

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:

try this: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
Wink

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ocp wrote:
Inventor wrote:

try this: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
Wink

For anyone interested, the link that ocp posted is to the Gutenberg project, a repository of free ebooks! Just what I needed. Thanks, ocp!

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
EdisonRex wrote:
The two works you cited would not qualify as usable

unless they get mangled into the washing machine beyond recognition Wink

I am not willing to try it, Carlo. We could make a case but I don't want to make trouble for Howard, and ultimately us all. This is a fine place to post links to good CC or free content to use in washing, or just as input.

If we work with what we can, we are much more in the right if we get a takedown notice from some lawyer. This may not seem too much of a deal right now, but when we get more listeners we will attract the performance rights scouts, and we want to be very much our own program for that.

Home,My Studio,and another view
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, and they do listen in, I had some visits on my local stream server even that originated from my provider's head quarters.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bringing you the washing machine archives : http://electro-music.com/radio/archives/

Last edited by blue hell on Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Washing Machines

Inventor wrote:
Jan (Blue_Hell) made the original [b][i] Washing Machine by hooking up his three G2's, some computers, and some music hardware

What is "some music hardware" ?

Last edited by cappy2112 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
cappy2112

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Bringing you the washing machine archives : http://bluehell.electro-music.com/_streams/2009-03-01/

Thanks for the audio- now I have something new to listen to on the way to/from work. Smile

Have the G2 patches been posted?

Last edited by cappy2112 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
Have the patches been posted?

Here are my two ChucK Washing Machines. Note that they require some customization for use as they are specialized to work with the controller that I built. They work with a 5-axis, 2-button joystick.

WashingMachine11.ck
 Description:
A ChucK Washing Machine

Download
 Filename:  WashingMachine11.ck
 Filesize:  3.6 KB
 Downloaded:  449 Time(s)

Dishwasher2.ck
 Description:
A ChucK Washing Machine

Download
 Filename:  Dishwasher2.ck
 Filesize:  2.86 KB
 Downloaded:  480 Time(s)

cappy2112

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
cappy2112 wrote:
Have the patches been posted?

Here are my two ChucK Washing Machines. Note that they require some customization for use as they are specialized to work with the controller that I built. They work with a 5-axis, 2-button joystick.

Thanks- but I meant the G2 patches. Embarassed

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Washing Machines

cappy2112 wrote:
What is "some music hardware" ?

A mixer and an old digitech fx thingie.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:

No, I thought they would be less useful to others ... I mean not many people could chain three G2s ... and its mostly delays anyway and some pretty basic sound making stuff all made up for this specific context.

cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
cappy2112 wrote:

No, I thought they would be less useful to others ... I mean not many people could chain three G2s ... and its mostly delays anyway and some pretty basic sound making stuff all made up for this specific context.

True- not useful in a practical sense, but very useful from a learning point of view. Who knows, it may help spawn other ideas ( microwave ovens, refrigerators, etc.) ;-0

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But ... they just don't work out of their context ... there is nothing to learn from that.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys,

So when will the next washing machine event happen and how could one get involved (who gives out the port#, PW's, etc ) ? I would not mind making some noise for a bit of time Cool

Bill
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Watch your PMs Bill.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
But ... they just don't work out of their context ... there is nothing to learn from that.

I was just looking for motivation to buy another G2 Wink

shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
Hi Guys,

So when will the next washing machine event happen and how could one get involved (who gives out the port#, PW's, etc ) ? I would not mind making some noise for a bit of time Cool

Bill

Bill the washing machines have almost always been impromtu. But, there does seem to be a Saturday Night pattern though... Just come in the chatroom. mosc assigns the port/pw .

Usually someone will just announce their washing...and ask if anyone needs any washing done. Smile

Page 1 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Jump to: