electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Good reasons For a University to Buy Kyma
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
woytegkh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject:  Good reasons For a University to Buy Kyma
Subject description: Good reasons For a University to Buy Kyma please
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey. so someone here knows someone whose girlfriends dog owns a Kyma system. I would really need to know some facts about it. I know a University for digital Arts that could be interested in buying a Kyma for the students. BUT i'm supposed to find good reasons for this financial efforts. They said: "even if it was revolutionary some time, it may be not neccessary" so i need some reasons like " it can do X and nothing else can" or would it be just the richment of the libary and the freedom of programming it new if you reallly learn it a long time? or the real time capabilities? I need something more "hard-fact"-like, you know...
especially the programming, i mean what kind of language is this? Can a student who may have been really busy with the Kyma system for the time studying do anything with this achieved vocabulary and Synthax knowledge, after he left University and his Kyma??
(besides any maybe new gained basic understanding of programming structures and methods)
THANKS A LOT for any Replies!!

DSPaudio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi There,

You can read my comparison post of the Nord G2, Max/MSP, and Kyma here:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/343085-kyma-compared-max-msp-nord-modular.html

4th post down.

But to answer your questions a bit more. Kyma has been used for years by top sound design facilities (Lucas, Pixar, etc.) and Is a often found in new media arts centers like RML (Recombinant Media Labs). It looks good on a resume and for People who really get it, their value in the music production and sound design sky rockets.

As far as what it can do that nothing else can-- How about it covers nearly every form of synthesis written about in Microsound (Curtis Roads) touches on concepts Xenakis pioneered and handles traditional synthesis with a focus on proper DSP precision (most environments sans Max/MSP attempt to make the code sound warm, Kyma has enough power it doesn't need tricks to sound good).

But really beyond it's technical merits is the Kyma approach. It's a single platform that turns people (students) onto computer music by having prototypes and immediately accessible sounds that can be played with or deeper structures for the more advanced user (including writing routines in Kyma's visual editor, using capytalk or coding directly assembler).

Like a Buchla or Serge, nothing comes close to it in the computer music field.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anthony
your comparison of those systems is very informative and entertaining Exclamation
Thanks Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
woytegkh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot!
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Jump to: