electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Did they hide Terminal and bash in Leopard?
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Did they hide Terminal and bash in Leopard?
Subject description: or is it me
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last year I set up 3 macs for my wife and kids and had no problems running Terminal / bash. This was osx 10.4 something.

I just got a new mac laptop pro w. Leopard via my workplace's IT dept., and I absolutely cannot find Terminal, nor apparently bash, anywhere on the machine. I loaded/reloaded everything on the two CDs, to no avail.

Did these apps change names, or did my IT dept. just screw me by configuring this machine for idiot users? I have an email in to them, but that won't get an answer until Monday.

Thanks.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Applications/Utilities

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Applications/Utilities

I had looked in there, but I was looking for Terminal. Somebody has decided that "X11" is a better name. I didn't expect Terminal to be renamed X11, and of course Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Thanks for the prod to look there one more time.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's X11 and there is Terminal- at least in my Utilities folder. Try typing in Terminal into Spotlight. Otherwise, you may have binned it? Shocked

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Applications/Utilities/Terminal

And Terminal and X11 are two different applications.

X11 is usually an option, but Terminal is always installed as Terminal is your channel to OS X heaven. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stein is right. And there is no Spanish Inquisition Shocked
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, then, either something has changedin Leopard, or the old college's IT organization has hosed me, cause X11 is there, and Terminal is not.

Now I'm in a new screwy state. I got fonts etc. set up OK for this X11 xterm, but Apple-C and the copy menu item never copied anything. I tried messing with .xinitrc and .Xresources, and now this X11 app dies immediately when I start it. And, the Finder won't let me find any files starting in "." so there is no way that I can find to just delete the .xinitc and .Xresources files that I created.

If I could log into another account with admin privileges, I could bring up another X11 xterm and rm the .xinitc and .Xresources files from there, but IT has shut off my ability to add a second account on this machine.

Any oher mens for just removing a file starting on "." when you cannot get an xterm up and "finder" refuses to find it. I can modify these .xinirc and /Xresources files from MS Word (of all things. yuck!), but so far, having touched .Xresources, I seem to have stranded myself again.

Been using UNIX systems for well over 25 years. Grumble, grumble.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems like you have been hosed by the IT-Departement.

Why not simply take out the drive, put in a new one and install a complete OS X 10.6.5 ( and yourself as the root deity? ) Whenever the IT-Department needs to take a look at the machine, put back the old drive and practice that very innocent look?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank goodness I have a PC with a java compiler in the same room.

Here is what the hell I had to do in order to remove .xinitrc and .Xresources, seeing as how the "Finder" refuses to find them, and I can't "rm" them once I've put a bug into them, because I can't bring up an xterm from which to "rm."

1. Go to another machine and compile the following using an old JDK 1.5, since OSX still isn't clever enough to make 1.6 the default, even though it's been out at least a year:
Code:

import java.io.File ;

public class fixme {
    public static void main(String [] args) {

File f = new File("/Users/dparson/.xinitrc");
        File u = new File("/Users/dparson/.Xresources");
        try {
            f.delete();
        } catch (Exception fx) {
            System.err.println("delete 1 fails: " + fx.getMessage());
        }
        try {
            u.delete();
        } catch (Exception fx) {
            System.err.println("delete 2 fails: " + fx.getMessage());
        }
    }
}

2. Save the class file of the above to a memory stick, plug it into the mac, and double click this class file.

Lo and behold, I can bring up an X11 terminal again.

I want to be excited about using yet another O.S., but it seems again that they've gone out of their way to handcuff me. I guess I'll have to write a suite of Java administrative tools so I can bypass the bullshit utilities and get at the file system on my own terms.

Sorry for griping, but it gets to be so anticlimactic, taking these things out of the box and trying to do anything not aimed squarely at Joe Sixpack. Good grief.

Thanks for your help and encouragement.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Seems like you have been hosed by the IT-Departement.

Why not simply take out the drive, put in a new one and install a complete OS X 10.6.5 ( and yourself as the root deity? ) Whenever the IT-Department needs to take a look at the machine, put back the old drive and practice that very innocent look?

Good idea. Fortunately, the computer audio equipment bypasses the IT dept., although somebody dropped my desk monitors and wrecked one of them during shipping, my guess being the trolls at the school's receiving dept. The vendor shipped replacements the same night I found this.

Life in the world of bureaucracy. Evil or Very Mad

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A bit late in - but did the IT department also wreck possibilities for logging in remotely to the machine? My MacBook Pro locks up completely every now and then, and my solution for that is either to hold down the power key until it shuts down (giving my short-term destructive satisfaction and possible damage to the machine) or boot up my Windows can in the same room, ssh into the mac and do "kill -1 -1" or (if I can locate it) kill the offending app. You should have been able to log in remotely and rename those files.

The single most annoying thing with my Mac is the lack of a low-level console, like the one you get with stop-A in SunOS, or the function key thingie in Linux. Especially since the GUI locks completely (yes: menus, applications, taskbar, icons on the desktop - everything stops responding) something like once or twice a week. You know that there's a perfectly healthy OS alive underneath, you just can't reach it.

/Stefan

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

IT Dept, Spanish Inquisition? Same difference! Laughing

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: