electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Variable Slope Filter / Phaser
Page 2 of 8 [181 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next

interested?
yes
88%
 88%  [ 38 ]
no
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 43

StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, Victorian English - this is still spoken by the Anglo Argentines in Buenos Aires, especially in the English Club where I was forced to wear a tie for lunch in a temperature of 35C with 100% humidity!

That way of speaking is sasly a lost art here - ini' ma'e (isn't it!!!)
bugfight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hehe, we all know dick van dyke totally nailed that accent.

i have some george macdonald books, sadly my reading queue is even more embarrassing than my projects queue.

meanwhile, it looks like there is at least some interest in this project...
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Preview of PCB layout uploaded:

http://www.jhaible.de/varislope_filter_phaser/varislope_filter_phaser.html

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
zthee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I capitulate! I really do need one!
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking good!
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update: PCB design finished. Gerber Data sent for making a prototype

Whcih means I should have the 1st prototype PCB in about 3 weeks.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
TekniK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Variable Slope Filter / Phaser
Subject description: Interested?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
A mean little module from my JH-3 Modular.

6 filter poles, realzed with OTAs and combined FET / Bipolar buffer stages.

Variable Slope function for 6-pole VC LPF.
Voltage controlled Pole Spread for Phaser mode.
JH.

Juergen what do u mean with spread? Panning from individulal pole sets outputs in stereo field?

Will this filter have a voltage controled variable slope that way u just can morph from 6db mode till 36db?
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Variable Slope Filter / Phaser

TekniK wrote:
jhaible wrote:

JH.

Juergen what do u mean with spread? Panning from individulal pole sets outputs in stereo field?

No. Pole Spread.

Will this filter have a voltage controled variable slope that way u just can morph from 6db mode till 36db?[/quote]

Yes.

JH.

TekniK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Variable Slope Filter / Phaser

jhaible wrote:
TekniK wrote:
jhaible wrote:

JH.

No. Pole Spread.

Will this filter have a voltage controled variable slope that way u just can morph from 6db mode till 36db?

Yes.

JH.[/quote]

Great!

VC resonance also?

Rolling Eyes
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Manually controlled Resonance.

JH.

TekniK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

JH.

Sad
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
jhaible wrote:

JH.

Sad

If you don't want the on-board modulation section, I'll find a way to wire one of the unused LM13600's for a VC Resonance function. Laughing Laughing Laughing

JH.

TekniK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
TekniK wrote:
jhaible wrote:

JH.

Sad

If you don't want the on-board modulation section, I'll find a way to wire one of the unused LM13600's for a VC Resonance function. Laughing Laughing Laughing

JH.

respect

beer
keithwin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Put me down for two please Jurgen

cheers

Keith
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Testing the 1st prototype.

LFO waveshape morphing video attached.

JH.

LFO_morphing.mov
 Description:
From Triangle to Sine to Square to Random. (Last stage, audio rate self-modulation, not shown.)

Download
 Filename:  LFO_morphing.mov
 Filesize:  7.91 MB
 Downloaded:  1316 Time(s)

jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made a rough (very rough) demo with my varislope phaser tonight.
It's done with alligator clips all ove rthe board instead of proper panel wiring, but I got some unusual sounds out of it, I think.
Not very typical for a phaser:
http://www.jhaible.de/varislope_filter_phaser/varislope_unusual.mp3
(First few seconds: Unprocessed input signal. Then all kinds of modulation, mostly sample and hold and self-modulation, high resonance. Towards the end of the clip, input signal is removed, and phaser runs on the edge of self-oscillation. Don't turn it up too loud - danger for your ears and speakers! Everything is modulated with the on-board LFO only!)

The on-board LFO has the capability to morph between waveforms. This is demonstrated in this short video clip:
http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/lfo_morphing_150.mov

Project description and older (more musical) audio demos here:

JH.

TekniK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice!,could u made a mp3 where we can very well hear the slope variation wth cv?
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
Very nice!,could u made a mp3 where we can very well hear the slope variation wth cv?

I will, later.

I've ordered an enclosure and I'll make a front panel, and then will make some proper demos.

But Living VCOs PCBs arrived today, so building another prototype from one of these, and then shipping these boards, has highest priority now.

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Variable Slope Filter/Phaser: Building a Prototype

Well, the first prototype was part of my JH-3 Modular, of course.
But for testing the PCB layout and fine-tuning the circuit for which I intent to offer PCBs, I wanted to build a standalone effect. For this, I'm using the same tabletop enclosure that I've used for my Wasp Filter Clone some years ago. (Pultgehäuse from Conrad Electronic, Best. Nr. 520772 - Manufacturer is APW)
The focus is on the on-board LFO modulation, so you won't find any potentiometers for external CVs on this front panel. (The circuit allows a lot of external CVs, of course.)

Here's a screenshot of the panel in Frontplattendesigner (Schaeffer):

http://www.jhaible.de/varislope_filter_phaser/varislope_proto_fpd.jpg

Input Level - Audio signal input level control
Feedback - Resonance Loop. Can burst into self-oscillation. Inverted or non-inverted feedback for unusual effects.
Mix - Wet / Dry mix of filtered and unfiltered signal. Inverted or non-inverted mix. Mandatory for phasing; interesting for LPF mode because of phase cancellation effects.
Ouput Level - Output attenuator for audio signal
APF / LPF - Switches to change the function of the 6 filter stages from All Pass Filter (Pole/Zero pairs) to Low Pass Filter (Poles only). 3 Switches for 3 pairs. (6 individual switches would be possible as well.)
Mix / Filter - In "Filter" position the "Mix" potentiometer is disconnected for 100% filter signal without any crosstalk from the dry signal (important for powefull 36dB/Oct LPF effect).
Clean / Dirty - Dirty applies some dynamic load to the single-ended buffer of the last filter stage.
Active / Bypass - True hard bypass
Slope - Spreads the pole frequencies of the individual stages. This means less filter steepness in LPF mode (ccw end is 36dB/Oct), and wider notch spacing in Phaser (APF) mode.
LFO Amount - Modulation amount of on-board LFO
LFO Wave - Crossfade between LFO waveshapes: Tringle -> Sine -> Square -> Sample&Hold -> Audio-Rate Self-Modulation (see video).

Also possible, but not on Front panel:
Slope Control Voltage Input
LFO Amount Control Voltage Input
LFO Waveshape Control Voltage Input
LFO Rate Control Voltage Input
External Filter or Phase Control Voltage Input (for ADSR etc.)
External 1V/Oct Control Voltage Input (no tempco, though.)

Project page with audio samples:

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(Preliminary) Schematics published

The 36dB/Oct LPF / Phaser:

http://www.jhaible.de/varislope_filter_phaser/varislope_filter_phaser_sch1.pdf

The LFO with crossfaded Waveforms, S&H and Audio Rate Modulation:

http://www.jhaible.de/varislope_filter_phaser/varislope_filter_phaser_sch2.pdf

Project Page:

JH.

StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where is everyone? Rolling Eyes

This looks amazing Jürgen, do you have a sample using a long chord so I can have an idea how it would sound on with guitar?

Thanks
Stephen
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

StephenGiles wrote:
Where is everyone? Rolling Eyes

This looks amazing Jürgen, do you have a sample using a long chord so I can have an idea how it would sound on with guitar?

Thanks
Stephen

I'll make more samples when I have the prototype finished with front panel and all. No fun making demos with alligator clips everywhere ...

JH.

shawn

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks amazing. Can't wait for it to be available, certainly want 1 of them.
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Received front panel from Schaeffer today.

No time for building the prototype, though. Tax work all day ... Crying or Very sad

But I made a photo, and I think it fits elegantly into that OKW enclosure:

http://www.jhaible.de/varislope_filter_phaser/building_prototype_1.jpg

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And another picture:

http://www.jhaible.de/varislope_filter_phaser/building_prototype_2.jpg

JH.

Page 2 of 8 [181 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: