electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Is there any way of taking an audio in to a Speak & Spell?
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Is there any way of taking an audio in to a Speak & Spell? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've bent my speak and spell, which now has some nice glitches and also a demonic 'possessed' voice. I'd like to know if there is a way of extending the vocabulary by taking a line input into the unit, for it to resynthesize my voice? Or any way of making it say words that are outside its vocabulary?
oootini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very unlikely.
radial77

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

try adding an LFO via 555 timer based circuit
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LektroiD wrote:
I'd like to know if there is a way of extending the vocabulary by taking a line input into the unit, for it to resynthesize my voice? Or any way of making it say words that are outside its vocabulary?

thrush wrote:
very unlikely.

Line input:near impossible.
Say words outside vocabulary? Any way?
Yes. The speech synt can be made to say anything. But it's extremely hard. The problem is that parameters are sent to the chip in a serial fashion on four lines, and because for simpler sounds commands are shorter, lenght of the bytes depend on the type of vocal element. So for instance the filter parameter is not always at the same spot, but depends on what you used before.

You'lld need a microprocessor, extensive programming skills and loads of patience.
If anyone feels up to the task I'll try relocate the datasheets/ description of the Texas Instruments speech synths.

radial77 wrote:
try adding an LFO via 555 timer based circuit

That's cool. What I've been thinking (never tried though) is have the 555 oscillator pitch determined by the envelope of audio input. Have audio drive an LED, make a diy vactrol with this LED and a LDR, use this LDR instead of the pitch pot or LFO.

Parts of J. Hollis Crash Sync http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/crashsync.jpg
or Tim Escobedo's Uglyface schematic could be used.

Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made a device using the GI speech processor SP0256.
Info can be found for example here

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FWIW, Casper Electronics has a nice LFO schematic that works for all the Speak & ____ series. It's not what you want, to input something new into the Speak & Spell, but it's something.

Regarding what you want to do, the only thing I can think maybe you could try is simply something that uses the tone/volume of your voice to modulate the S&S itself, sort of a voice driven LFO?

The other option would be to maybe add a voice recorder/real time processor to the guts of the unit and then try and find a way to interface the S&S with it in a way that the output affects how it works. If that makes sense? Like, for example, use the Speak's wiring and power to drive it, and perhaps it's output to affect the sound coming from the recorder, sort of a modulation of the sound.

The example that comes to mind is to put an output reactive LED on the out of the Speak. Then, put a photo resistor somewhere on the recorder/playback portion, so that when the speak and spell does it's thing, the photo resistor then causes the recorder to do things too. You could enclose the 2 in a small pen tube or similar so the only light the photo resistor gets is from the Speak's output.

just a thought.
oootini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry, but why would you even want to put a line into the s & s?
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thrush, I think what he wants is to expand what it can do.

They did make expansion cards that added new words/features, those are hard to find however.

What the OP is asking however isn't possible, not a straight "I talk in and the Speak and Spell says what I said in it's digital voice". But some effects and a voice recorder added in would at least give some options in that regard.

electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Speak&xx speech chip uses 4 parallel data lines that get serial input from the ROMs.

Untested idea: what you could do is convert audio into a binary signal. Send it through a diode to pass only positive voltages, use an opamp to amplify this to , ermm... say 5V, send it through a CMOS schmitt-trigger like CD40106 to clean the signal into a squarewave and send this to on of the 4 data inputs of the speech synth.
I haven't checked where Caspar Electronics sends his LFO, but that point would be a good target I presume.

alienmeatsack wrote:
What the OP is asking however isn't possible, not a straight "I talk in and the Speak and Spell says what I said in it's digital voice". /.../ They did make expansion cards that added new words/features, those are hard to find however.

The command structure of the Speaks is darn complicated, often omitting functions in the datastream where they are not needed. This is done to speed up processing.

Because of this bending a Speak and playing it is mostly a random affair (though you can have some sense of control with right timing of your momentary switch pushing).

So the result of using audio conditioned into bits will probably lead to glorious racket that is in no recognisable way related to the sound you put into it. It will be a unique bend, so if anyone has the time to implement it, please post your results. I'd love to hear it.

Given the random nature of Speak bends, I think the expansion cards may not be as interesting as it would seem. The Speak&Math is my favorite, but the *Spell and *Read sound sort of similar to me, even with different ROMs.
alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electri-fire, I -just- bent a Speak & Math today! (Well, yesterday technically.)

I have an cb S&S already, pretty plain Jane, but it was the device that got me into the whole bending thing in the first place.

For the Speak & Math, I used stuff I found online. Referencing the misc info I gathered... I combined and separated to pick out the glitches and loops I liked mostly. (Out of fear of destroying it since I seem to be doing that lately.)

I didn't go crazy with it, and I left out lots of bending goodness. But, I loooove the sound these things make. And the loops and glitches for the S&M seem to be more "fruitful" or something. I just get a richer wordier variety it feels like.

I really wanted to explore and make notes of what I found. I figure, while I am pretty sure all the bends have been explored by someone out there, that I could easily find a few outside of the box. I just decided that what I did do was excellent, even if it was "the norm".

If I stumble across another, I'd like to try it completely from scratch to see what I get.

The one thing I do love about these devices in particular... You can go with the 3-4 different variants of bends and get a kick ass bent instrument. But, you can also just poke and prod yourself, and find similar/same and different choices to "poke and peek" the contents and force them to make crazy noises.

I love how bending is partly fact that A+B=Glitch. But I also love that if you explore, you might find that D+9=Glitch. And yur glitch might sound similar to someone elses but it might not.

alienmeatsack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also like your idea... sort of an LFO, but not via a 555 or similar.

I'm totally interested in trying new means to change up the sounds of anything. Sort of like when someone figured out that if you take a LED that is based on logic or output, point it at a photo resistor, then use that to force the device to do something.

One of my electronics engineer friends told me he likes that people like us are trying new ways to do things. He's a total X leads to Y which leads to Z kind of guy. We take that formula and stick a 500k pot in the mix and then add some output jacks. Very Happy

Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: