electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Why synths on an iPhone?
Page 4 of 7 [153 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
.... don't tell him about the Skype....

who Question

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

God only knows how I've wanted to do that...
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wooo Wooo - Skype on iPod Touch. Who needs a phone? Who needs a phone company?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

That concept rocks!

GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In a discussion about the Ocarina iPhone app, someone argued that the iPod Touch does NOT have a built-in mic, but that an add-on mic can be used.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

I went round Asia using skype on my HTC phone http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchhd/overview.html and it worked very well.

The HTC phones are much better phones than the iPhone in my opinion.

Ducks behind parapet with hands over ears.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

I went round Asia using skype on my HTC phone http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchhd/overview.html and it worked very well.

All we need now are phone wars. They are all disposable throwaways anyway, unfortunately.

So, why is the HTC phone better than the iPhone? I don't know much about the HTC phone.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
mosc wrote:

Ducks behind parapet with hands over ears.

Well, as far as musicians are concerned the choice of apps for the HTC has to equal that of the iPhone before we can say "it's better". Where are the HTC equivalents of Bebot, RJDJ, Peterson Strobe Tuner, Ocarina, etc? Wink

Maybe we have to wait for a couple of years. The HTC's Google Android platform is supposed to be open source after all. This forum alone has enough talented people to make something interesting for Android.

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I said a better phone.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also all HTC phones can be developed for as they run windows, free compilers and dev environments are available from Microsoft.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Also all HTC phones can be developed for as they run windows, free compilers and dev environments are available from Microsoft.

Yeah, I said that.

Some old stuff on VIRB
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
I said a better phone.

Sorry, you didn't qualify what you mean by "better". A Strat is a better guitar than a Les Paul.

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No way is a strat better than a gibson, you have gone totally mad now Smile

I meant they work better as a phone, as a plaything they are no where near as good.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
No way is a strat better than a gibson, you have gone totally mad now Smile

I meant they work better as a phone, as a plaything they are no where near as good.

Green is better than red!!! Evil or Very Mad

I've heard of phone companies in other countries charging even more outrageous rates than AT&T in the US and other weirdness which makes folks reluctant to get iPhones.

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only one carrier in the UK O2, I calculated a while ago that it would cost me around £1500 to switch to O2 and get an Iphone 3G for a minimum contract of 18 months and pay off my existing contract. I did really want one but not that much!

The prices have gone down a bit now but you are locked into O2 if you want an IPhone here.

So I have a HTC phone and a iTouch.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Only one carrier in the UK O2, I calculated a while ago that it would cost me around £1500 to switch to O2 and get an Iphone 3G for a minimum contract of 18 months and pay off my existing contract. I did really want one but not that much!

The prices have gone down a bit now but you are locked into O2 if you want an IPhone here.

I would have done the same thing as you. That is a ridiculous price to pay to get onto the iPhone bandwagon.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
The iPhone is the greatest. There are some great touch sensitive midi controllers. It's wireless of course.

But that's for another topic, and it'll be a great one. Laughing

Word!
There are some nice synths and samplers too. Intua Beatmaker for example Smile

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

That is quite a lot of money. Shocked

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Avid ipone user here. (hangs head in shame)

I think it is a great portable media player, a reasonable phone, brilliant internet access and not bad little jam station for ideas (scary that it can do so much). So far I have quite a few musical programs installed (beatmaker, synthpond, technobox etc..)

Beatmaker is my fave thus far and I would like to get hold of a few of the more synth orientated ones (noise.io etc) but already feeling guilty enough for my expenses on it. Fave synth app?? (Not you Seraph!)

Often I actually get annoyed with my bus to work because I am in the middle of a production!! How rude of the bus to get me to work in a reasonable amount of time?!

I would love to try some of the OSC controller stuff (i think it would be awesome for the G2 and encourage me to use the iphone in the studio) but there doesn't seem to be an easy conversion of OSC to Midi controller data for the PC, damn those MAC Users!!! Unless anyone knows something I don't?

My 2pence. Smile

EDIT: My iphone (UK) cost £57, plus a £45 a month contract (£10 more than my last phone but for loads more minutes (about double I think) and all the internet access I want). So i don't think it is cheap but it isn't a total rip off either.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi IP,

How long does your battery last and have you got the 3G version.

Cheers

Andy
iPassenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I have the 3G, It will last about a day and a half of pretty heavy usage but I tend to charge every day. If I use it as a media player and phone (switch off 3G and wifi) only it seems to last forever (or at least several days). So I would say given its size and usage it seems pretty good, I was disappointed at first bit that was more down to the fact that I was pratting with it all day! My girlfriend hates it! Very Happy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I find the battery goes down quicker (mine is a 16gb 3G- in white Cool ), if the brightness is turned up too high, and the auto light adjust is also on. If I turn these down or off, the phone's charge lasts about a day and a half (but then I hardly make or receive calls. My iPhone is really a pocket internet machine, which just happens to have a phone, and a shitload of other stuff- quite useful Smile ).
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:
My girlfriend hates it!

I have quite the opposite. Shocked

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
iPassenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
(mine is a 16gb 3G- in white

Me too, this is the super cool gang. Cool

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats not too bad then I have a mate and his 3G doesn't even last a day in normal use, I will tell him that this is not normal.
Page 4 of 7 [153 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: