electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Getting Involved
Page 2 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Well looks like the compiler needed is MPLAB C Compiler for PIC24 and dsPIC DSCs which is $500. What are you using?

Cheers

Andy

The evaluation version of the same. As Jan explained to me in the chatroom, the only gotcha is that after 30 days the optimizer stops, um, optimizing. But with 2 kbytes of program memory, who cares? Microchip wins again...

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, there are only two boards left and I think one of them is spoken for, leaving just one board free to anyone who wants it... Be the first on your block to have an EChucK sculpture! I can chop up the board or mail it whole, your choice...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Well looks like the compiler needed is MPLAB C Compiler for PIC24 and dsPIC DSCs which is $500. What are you using?

You can run it in evaluation mode forever (look for student version), but the optimizer will be disabled after a month (unless you have valid student ID or so I guess) - I've looked a bit into how it generates code for the PIC24 and I was not too happy with that, size wise, speed wise and for readability, so it would be a good thing to optimize critical code as assembly anyway.

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks pretty interesting

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en534506 you seem to get the compiler and board for $60
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andy, it comes with the student version of the C compiler I think ... at least so did the pic32 eval. board I once ordered.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, thats a shame!
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No need to gripe, I've got the complete setup on my little netbook and next month I'll buy the PicKit3 programmer also. Then I will be able to program chips with your designs on them and mail them to you, if that's what we want to do.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Les,

No problem, Ill get a kit as well. If we are going to do it we may as well do it properly Smile

Cheers

Andy
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Hi Les,

No problem, Ill get a kit as well. If we are going to do it we may as well do it properly Smile

Cheers

Andy

Andy, I feel so blessed by friendship and collaboration! You can be our European chip distributor. I'd like to get some chips in the hands of Kassen, et al...

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Les,

No Problems.

I re-installed the IDE and DSC compiler and its really weird it looks totally different to the first time I installed it. This of course if probably something to do with me, I have a bit of a fever!

Which image does yours look like?

Cheers

Andy

mplab1.jpg
 Description:
Image 1
 Filesize:  103.08 KB
 Viewed:  414 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

mplab1.jpg

mplab2.jpg
 Description:
Image 2
 Filesize:  141.53 KB
 Viewed:  416 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

mplab2.jpg

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mine looks like the first image, in blue, but I saw the second image on one of the C pages. I think the link I gave you was inside the hierarchy of Microchip web pages, not the main page of the C compiler. The main page shows a tan colored setup like the second image. Perhaps if we read on the website we can figure this out.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This page shows the tan look and feel:

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en534868

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well they are two totally different IDEs, it is very strange I think I may be going a little mad!

Mine looks like the first one and I am going with that!

I have you example built and simulated, had to change the include stuff as follows:

#include "p33FJ12GP201.h"
#include "timer.h"
#include "outcompare.h"
#include "ports.h"

And set the include path. I don't quite know why we have a difference here.

I am looking at the docs at the moment to work out how to simulate input and output at the moment.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andy, in the Project Manager Wizard, you select the toolset and set up the library directories and such. First off, did you use the Project Manager Wizard, and second did you select the correct toolset, taking the default directory paths? I should have explained this in more detail in the tutorial that I wrote.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep did all that.

<include> is usually used for system includes while "include" is used for user includes.

Probably something wrong with the path for system includes in my setup somewhere.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Les,

Been looking ad some of the documentation on the dsPIC33FJ12GP201 and there is loads of it!

How is this device being connected to the rest of the eChuck universe, what areas should I focus on learning?

Cheers

Andy
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Hi Les,

Been looking ad some of the documentation on the dsPIC33FJ12GP201 and there is loads of it!

How is this device being connected to the rest of the eChuck universe, what areas should I focus on learning?

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

What we need next, and I should gett off my @$$ and do this myself, but what we need is an ADC interface. If you could take the test code 1 program and mod it so that it receives analog in and writes that to the PWM output, that would be awesome dude!

Les

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I would love to but where is the A from the ADC coming from?
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like CE100 - Using A/D Converters and DSP Library for Signal Filtering may be a good start for me

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/CE100_ADC_IIR_Filter_091207.zip
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andy,

Pins 2, 3, 4, and 5 are connected as analog ins on the EChucK boards. Pins 11, 12, 15, and 16 are connected as PWM outputs. The example test code 1 program configures all four outputs to deliver the PWM output, but that can change. I'd ADC all four inputs and sum them.

Les

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I take it 12bits is going to be enough otherwise it looks like we have to over-sample and it looks a little tricky to me!
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Looks like CE100 - Using A/D Converters and DSP Library for Signal Filtering may be a good start for me

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/CE100_ADC_IIR_Filter_091207.zip

Checking this out now....

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andy,

Upon glancing at the docs, I'd suggest using their code and pasting in the test code 1 program, I suppose...

Les

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like we may be down to 10bits as multiple channels are not supported in 12bit mode!

It all looks quite complicated I would say we might as well dispense with C and go for assembler.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Looks like we may be down to 10bits as multiple channels are not supported in 12bit mode!

It all looks quite complicated I would say we might as well dispense with C and go for assembler.

Your call. I'm down with that.

Page 2 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Jump to: