electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Favorite bit of guitar kit
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
You hit the record button slightly before the point where you want to start recording - you need something programmed in advance (a click track or previously looped stuff).
/Stefan

It's that "slightly before" that seems to vary in duration. I am going to play with it a bit more and read the manual when I get back home from vacation in berkeley, will post on the Live forum if I remain stuck.

miketheman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Antimon wrote:
. I just need to check up how to start recording with a pedal, which ought to possible now that it's 1.0.
/Stefan

When you do please tell me as I have had no luck!

Although the true looperfeatures are not implemented yet (they will come), you should be able to do that already.
However you´ll need a pedal (midi footcontroller) which can send both NN and CCs. Or, as some of you got one of those, you can use your G2 to interface between your Octatrack and footcontroller...

/mike

GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

miketheman wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
I put up some demos of Tim's awesome G2 audio patches with guitar (and a bit of voice) here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=791533

Yeah, and demo of a patch by Tombola (MusicThing blogger) too. His VirtualMURF patch killed my GAS for a real MURF pedal, which I'm sure is a thing of beauty in its analog glory, but has no user programmable patterns like Tom's patch.

is that VirtualMURF patch aviable somewhere? Searched on the forum here but didn't see anything...

That's because the patch isn't actually called "VirtualMURF". Sorry about that. It's here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-8289.html

It's probably obvious by now, but my comments above do not apply to the Moog MIDIMURF which does in fact support user programmable patterns.

Some old stuff on VIRB
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Acoustic Interloper wrote:

My workaround has been to write a looper in chuck that issues a count-in click track, with quiet time in front of the on-beat attack. It is software, and it works fine. But I cannot get Live to do a clean job of triggering on loop boundaries, due to the unpredictability of the latency between hitting the foot switch and the actual start of audio capture.

Generally Live likes to trigger record start etc by itself. You hit the record button slightly before the point where you want to start recording - you need something programmed in advance (a click track or previously looped stuff). I guess you're using the looper effect, but I'd expect that to work the in a similar way.

I'm curious about the specifics in your problem - if you feel like it you could start a separate thread.

This is a discussion I would be interested in following, as a new Ableton Live user. I understand some users such as Kid Beyond record loops directly to Ableton tracks (I think) instead of using the Looper plugin.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
This is a discussion I would be interested in following, as a new Ableton Live user. I understand some users such as Kid Beyond record loops directly to Ableton tracks (I think) instead of using the Looper plugin.

Yes, I usually prefer recording to clips because I can do more with those samples than I can with the looper. I only recently upgraded to Live 8, so I have not been using the looper that long. But, I like time stretching and pitch shifting with clips. I've been doing that for a few years.

The indeterminate time between foot switch and loop boundary may be worse with clips than with the looper. I'll have to experiment when I get back home

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use both track capture and looper. To trigger tracks, I have a Novation Launchpad in session mode (any midi controller will do), and in the Preferences>[Record/Warp/Launch] set the following:

Launch:
Code:
  Default Launch Mode : Trigger (or repeat if you want things to play once they are recorded)
  Default Launch Quantization : This deteremines when the launch is quantized to...may explain the variation in starting times to record.

Select on Launch: ON  (this means if you have a MIDI CC triggering a scene, this moves your focus to this track, so auto mapped controllers are now mapped to this scene).

Select Next Scene on Launch : your choice

Start Recording on Scene Launch: ON (this means if there is no data in the scene, start recording, if there is, then just play it).

I also use Looper separately because it also allows UNDO, Clear, as well as Play/Record by using 1 MIDI CC only. Press: record, then press to play/stop/overdub. Hold to clear or undo.
Plus, you can drag a loop you just made into a scene, and it becomes just a .wav loaded into a scene. Drag/Dropping isn't ideal for live work, but I'm trying to see if MAX4Live can do things like this for me. Then I'd use 1 looper on a track, and fill scenes with loops that I really like.
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
I use both track capture and looper. To trigger tracks, I have a Novation Launchpad in session mode (any midi controller will do), and in the Preferences>[Record/Warp/Launch] set the following:

Launch:
Code:
  Default Launch Mode : Trigger (or repeat if you want things to play once they are recorded)
  Default Launch Quantization : This deteremines when the launch is quantized to...may explain the variation in starting times to record.

Select on Launch: ON  (this means if you have a MIDI CC triggering a scene, this moves your focus to this track, so auto mapped controllers are now mapped to this scene).

Select Next Scene on Launch : your choice

Start Recording on Scene Launch: ON (this means if there is no data in the scene, start recording, if there is, then just play it).

I also use Looper separately because it also allows UNDO, Clear, as well as Play/Record by using 1 MIDI CC only. Press: record, then press to play/stop/overdub. Hold to clear or undo.
Plus, you can drag a loop you just made into a scene, and it becomes just a .wav loaded into a scene. Drag/Dropping isn't ideal for live work, but I'm trying to see if MAX4Live can do things like this for me. Then I'd use 1 looper on a track, and fill scenes with loops that I really like.

Thanks! This will give me a good place to try to improve my efforts when I get back home.

Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: