electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Are we in need of a NordLead Editor/Librarian/Manager?
Page 2 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
ilmolto

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ilmolto wrote:
No need for batteries Wout as I have shed the light without your torch Wink

Maybe you know this already, but I think I've worked out how to determine the values of the parameters on the Nord Lead 2X by reading SysEx information.

I did a little experiment. I put the Osc 2 Semitones knob (I chose this knob because it's the first in the SysEx message and so easier to spot) to the minimum setting (0 in MIDI land), dumped the patch to Cubase and opened the SysEx message. As I assumed, it was 00 00. I then put Osc 2 Semitones to the next minimum setting (1 in MIDI). It was 01 00. Then the next was 02 00, then 03 00, then 04 00... Eventually it would get to 0F 00 and then 00 01, 01 01, 02 01, 03 01... 0F 01, 00 02, 01 02 and so on.

I assume this would be the same for Velocity/Morph values but starting at -128 instead of 0.

What do you think ?

I've done the same experiment with Velocity/Morph. Only difference is 00 00 means there is no velocity assigned, 00 01 means +1 on the parameter, 00 02 means +2 and so on, until you reach +127 (most parameters will be 0F 07), then the next is 00 08, which means -128 and then up to -1 (most parameters 0F 0F).
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ilmolto wrote:
... What do you think ?
I found the same things. I didn't want to use the SemiTones parameter, because it gives 0-127, but in reality it goes 0-120... Confusing!

Wout
Synthluver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not a mystery from a programmer's standpoint, but it still can be very confusing.

The midi specification dates from computer stone ages where only 7 bits in an 8 bits byte were transmitted over modem lines (or send to specific instruments)

7 bits allow you a range of 0-127 (the standard values for midi CC's).

Most modern instruments use the full 8 bits per byte and midi protocols still packs them 7 bits in a byte, which means that all bytes must be repacked for transmitting over sysex. (but that's another story).

As far as using 8 bits per byte, there are two possibilities : unsigned bytes (these would range 0-255) and signed bytes (these would range -128 to 127, where the most significant bit is the sign, either 0 for positive or 1 for negative)

To make out a number from a unsigned byte to a signed byte (without using bitwise operators) it goes like this :

Suppose a number ranging from 0-255 (unsigned byte), the formula is

--- x = 200
--- if x > 127 then
--- x = x - 256
--- end if

Notes : it is up to the manufacturer to decide what kind of bytes they use, but for the most part signed bytes are used and the above is used programmatically in the firmware. CC's that may be using -128 to 127 as a range are shown as 0-255 to non programmer users.

Extended CC's (NRPN's) are coded with 14 bits per word (a word is two bytes) in a datatype called integer. Again, there are signed integers and unsigned integers

unsigned int : 0 to 65535

signed int : -32768 to 32767

x=40000
--- if x > 32767 then
--- x = x - 65536
--- end if

This is 16 bits mathematics, but because midi only uses 7 bits per byte, midi integers use 14 bits per byte, the most significant bit is the sign, the 15th bit is not used. Confusing? lollll that's not all... words are most often packed least significant byte first.
Ligumo

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been learning some Objective C/Cocoa/iOS programming - anyone tried to use that for this purpose?
Propellerhead Recycle, Reason 6 (NO MIDI OUT!?!)
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (1980)
Rickenbacker 330 (2003)
Peavey Milestone III with SD Jazz Bass pickups

www.ligumo.com
www.soundcloud.com/ligumo
Goof

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would be nice. Getting tired of manually copying and storing patches with the 3 digit led display and 2 up and down buttons...
rodhart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has anyone thought of an iPad app? I'm sure people would use it....
Page 2 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: