electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord stage
Nord Stage noisy output
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Razenko

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject:  Nord Stage noisy output
Subject description: Audio output of Nord Stage not very clean.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

A few weeks ago I purchases a Nord Stage, unfortunately it came with a loose key and had to be repaired by the store, it seemed that the key was not pushed in far enough by Clavia.
Anyway, since I got it I'm slightly annoyed by the Nords noisy output, and by that I do not mean that there's noise on the output, but certain sounds seem to distort slightly between C4 and C5.
This mostly noticeable on the Electric and Acoustic pianos with a decent amount of volume, e.g. with the volume knob turned up half way.
I currently do not have a speaker system, so I'm using headphones only (Sennheiser PX-100 and AKG K601).

I'm not saying its extremely bad, and I can hear similar stuff happening on my other synths and VSTi's, but its much more noticeable on the Nord.
It could also be that the Nord has a mediocre DAC or amp onboard, or that it happens because of the tone of some sound, since it happens mostly with mellower sounds.

Again, this might be normal for the Nord Stage, but I never noticed something like this as badly on other synths.
peterkadar

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That sounds funny. First thing I would do would be to do a factory reset of the NS. Secondly, you should see if you get the same results with other headphones... could be that the ones you have are wearing out or something as I've had distortion on some of mine right before a cable died.

Also, you should see if you have any of the amp models activated. I know you're probably a more experienced user, but I thought I'd put that out there just in case you're new to gear... there are 2 amp models that could be doing it - the rotary has an overdrive as well as the amp sim section by the EQ on the right.

Could be that your levels are too high internally and are causing distortion as well.

Also, you could be hearing looping on the pianos, which could translate as a bit of a soft buzz, but I've found it less obvious with their newer versions of the piano library. There's an old Rev B at the store with a 2.x OS I think, and some of the loops are pretty bad. My NS Compact however sounds really good.... so make sure you've got the latest OS and latest piano sounds too.

Barring all that, there could be a messed up output on your machine. Maybe it's still under warranty.

Good luck. Let me know how it works out.

Peter
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord stage
Jump to: